CORP meeting 7PM April 24th Fitchburg, WI- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

CORP meeting 7PM April 24th Fitchburg, WI

Hi,

The Capital Off Road Pathfinders bike club is having their monthly meeting at the Fitchburg City Hall on Thursday April 24th at 7PM.

From the CORP website: http://www.madcitydirt.org/

"Where: Fitchburg City Hall, park at the far right side lot when you pull in.

Why: Summary of our first month of trail building, planning for the rest of our workdays, and brainstorming for upcoming events. We will be using this meeting to come up with ideas for a summer kickoff party, IMBA visit, and Blue Mound 12 Hour race. Come out, have a drink, and help make the summer a great one for CORP."

This is a chance for riders in the south central Wisconsin area to:

Find out what is happening for organized mountain biking in your area.

Become part of the fun.

Complain, criticise, or whine to the people you see as the pompous a$$es in charge who are ruining *everything* you hold sacred. Indifference will not be tolerated.

Walt

EDIT:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...,0.029011&z=15

Fitchburg City Hall is just to the north of Lacy Road and east of Research Way

EDIT: The author of this post wishes to apologize to anyone who was offended by the use of the words "complain", "criticize", or "whine". The use of inflammatory language to characterize the differing opinions of others is wrong and anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.
    Last edited by Walt Dizzy; 04-24-2008 at 03:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Walt -- I've got a question for you. Why does it seem that there's a chip on C.O.R.P.'s shoulder? If you're trying to entice local riders to come to a meeting, what good does it do to make the comment, "Complain, criticize, or whine to the people you see as pompous asses in-charge who are ruining *everything*..." How did you mean that?

Now, I've read a lot since I started riding in SE WI, and one thing seems clear -- there are conflicting ideas about how trails should be built and maintained, and perhaps those that are doing the complaining, criticizing and whining should be the ones helping. I get it. But comments like that aren't going to bring local riders together. Don't you agree?

This will be my second year living in Madison, but I've been riding since I was very little. And, the one thing I've wanted to do is get involved with the local mountain bike community. But I can't bring myself to do it because I get the impression that it's one man speaking for everyone who has a chip on his shoulder.

What are you and C.O.R.P. doing to gain a supportive and cohesive community of riders? Because seriously, I'm tired of the complaining.
    :: the_solo_one ::

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_solo_one
    ...the one thing I've wanted to do is get involved with the local mountain bike community...
    Then just show up at a few work days!?! (honestly i won't bother with a meeting at first, a work day is probably the best introduction you can get)

If you're primary impression of CORP is from what you're read online then you're missing 99% of the productive discourse that happens at meetings and work days. A lot of the stuff that makes it to online text is the more controversial, hot button, highly opinionated, and generally irritating topics that no one really enjoys hashing up but a lot of us feel compelled to vent about.

It's really not fair to let your interpretation of forum postings set your opinion for a group, and honestly if that's what is preventing you from getting involved then it sounds like your will to participate isn't very strong. If you really want to help out then just show up at a workday or two, and if you still get a bad vibe from the group then so be it. You can still chip in with opportunistic trail work (clearing down branches, picking up bits of trash, etc...).

If you haven't already been there, check the new corp site at madcitydirt.org, the forum there is turning out to have a lot more productive online chatter than there's been in the past.

But really, most of all, just give the group a chance. I've spoken with a whole lot of riders that have a strong opinion of CORP (one way or the other) but have never been to any sort of club gathering or work day. Text and hearsay is no substitute for personal interaction.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Brassnipples -- I knew I'd stir the pot a bit with my comments. And, in all fairness you're absolutely right about forming an opinion with out experience is ignorant.

This is my first season riding in Madison and I haven't even ridden anything but Quarry Park. Admittedly, my disconnect can be cured by attending a meeting or a work day, but scheduling is a HUGE problem for me.

The message's intent was more of an inquiry rather than an accusation. I was hoping that I'd get a response that was more compelling that would answer some of the questions I have about the group.
    :: the_solo_one ::

Bear

Need a beer?

Heck if it makes you feel better about chippin' in I'll buy you a beer....or two....or three...

I'm not sure which questions you want answered but I think, even if misguided, Walt's comment was jab at the indifference that runs rampant. It didn't come across well on the forum but if you meet the guy it's coming from you'll understand the humor. It made me grin.

No chip on our shoulder just hoping to get a few more people out drinking, riding, and building trail with us. Pretty easy going bunch looking to make the Madison area little better for everybody.

Scott B.
    CORP - President

mtbr member

Making fun of me = not OK?

Quote Originally Posted by the_solo_one
    Walt -- I've got a question for you. Why does it seem that there's a chip on C.O.R.P.'s shoulder? If you're trying to entice local riders to come to a meeting, what good does it do to make the comment, "Complain, criticize, or whine to the people you see as pompous asses in-charge who are ruining *everything*..." How did you mean that?

Now, I've read a lot since I started riding in SE WI, and one thing seems clear -- there are conflicting ideas about how trails should be built and maintained, and perhaps those that are doing the complaining, criticizing and whining should be the ones helping. I get it. But comments like that aren't going to bring local riders together. Don't you agree?

This will be my second year living in Madison, but I've been riding since I was very little. And, the one thing I've wanted to do is get involved with the local mountain bike community. But I can't bring myself to do it because I get the impression that it's one man speaking for everyone who has a chip on his shoulder.

What are you and C.O.R.P. doing to gain a supportive and cohesive community of riders? Because seriously, I'm tired of the complaining.
    I'll take that as "I'm tired of *your* complaining".

FWIW, I thought I was posting a rip on myself (or maybe CORP), not the public. I was trying to reach out to people who maybe had some issue with CORP but did not feel comfortable with speaking up. I thought that by calling us pompous a$$es that it would make us seem more willing to listen to criticism. Upon re-reading my comment I can see that a reasonable person could interpret it differently.

I do not pretend to speak for everyone with a chip on his shoulder. The people with bad attitudes would be offended if I appointed myself as their spokesman. After all, we do have chips upon our shoulders... But I digress.

Are you serious when you say that "I can't bring myself to do it ( get involved) because I get the impression that it's one man..."? If I offend you than much, just ignore me. Everyone else does ;>)

I don't expect to have charmed you into seeing things my way. But be fair, don't judge CORP by my actions. Some of the other guys are pretty nice human beings, fun to be around, and pillars of their community.

Walt

Members who have read this thread: 0