Considering Moving to Neenah WI- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Considering Moving to Neenah WI

Just north Of Oshkosk on the same lake. Anyone have info on trails, and other info that parents might be interested in? School districts, ect?

At this point it is still a big maybe, the wife had a second interview with a company there but it would depend heavily on what kind of offer is made, if one is made.

Any other info about the area would be great like where to buy a house. Coming from the East coast and looking at house prices there I'm thinking we can afford a few acres of land. Wonder how long a pump track will keep me happy?
    Disclaimer: I fix bikes for a living.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

See Oshkosh Thread....

Take a look at the Oshkosh Sucks thread for nearby trail info. You will be, for the most part, centrally located for the WORS series around the state...so that is a bonus.

As for living, I believe that the surrounding communities are all pretty good (Neenah, Menasha, Kimberly, Freedom, Kaukauna....pronounced Kah-Kaw-Nah.....) in terms of schools, crime rates, etc. I have known a few people that lived in the area and liked it, but hopefully a current resident can chime in a bit more for you on the specifics of the Fox Valley.

shooty babitt
    Jul 2007
    I live just up the road in Appleton. The housing market is slow here right now so you'll get your pick of houses. The communities are safe and the public schools are all generally quite good.

In terms of looking for a house, you might be able to case a wider net than you think given the quick commute times up here. You could go as far south as Oshkosh on Lake Winnebago. Neenah and Menasha both have a lot of Lake Winnebago waterfront. There are also several smaller lakes right in the Neenah areas--check out Lake Buttes de Morts, Little Lake Butte de Morts, Lake Winnecone, and Lake Poygan. The Fox River runs from Lake Winnebago through the area up to Green Bay. You can find nice homes along the river in Appleton, Kimberly, Combined Locks, Little Chute, etc. You don't want to swim in or eat the fish from the Fox, but it is quite beautiful. You might also look for a place to the Northwest along the Wolf River. There is a hundred some-odd mile of wild river there good for boating,swimming, rafting, fishing, etc. I work in Menasha and have colleagues who commute from as far as New London on the Wolf River in the North and Lake Poygan in the West. I commute from Appleton and it takes me about 15 minutes.

As for mountain biking there is little right in the immediate area, but you can drive to about 15 good to excellent trails in 2 hours or less. Check out the message boards on the Wisconsin Off-Road Series (WORS) website or drop me a line. If you end up moving our here you may have to drop the "dwnhll" from your username.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shooty babitt
    I live just up the road in Appleton. The housing market is slow here right now so you'll get your pick of houses. The communities are safe and the public schools are all generally quite good.

In terms of looking for a house, you might be able to case a wider net than you think given the quick commute times up here. You could go as far south as Oshkosh on Lake Winnebago. Neenah and Menasha both have a lot of Lake Winnebago waterfront. There are also several smaller lakes right in the Neenah areas--check out Lake Buttes de Morts, Little Lake Butte de Morts, Lake Winnecone, and Lake Poygan. The Fox River runs from Lake Winnebago through the area up to Green Bay. You can find nice homes along the river in Appleton, Kimberly, Combined Locks, Little Chute, etc. You don't want to swim in or eat the fish from the Fox, but it is quite beautiful. You might also look for a place to the Northwest along the Wolf River. There is a hundred some-odd mile of wild river there good for boating,swimming, rafting, fishing, etc. I work in Menasha and have colleagues who commute from as far as New London on the Wolf River in the North and Lake Poygan in the West. I commute from Appleton and it takes me about 15 minutes.

As for mountain biking there is little right in the immediate area, but you can drive to about 15 good to excellent trails in 2 hours or less. Check out the message boards on the Wisconsin Off-Road Series (WORS) website or drop me a line. If you end up moving our here you may have to drop the "dwnhll" from your username.
    Thats for the info, the wife wants to keep her commute as short as possible. Since the move will be decided on what offer is made, the offer needs to be good enough that I can be a stay at home dad or work in a bike shop part time.

I was thinking I would have to go with flat land dave instead.

mtbr member
    Is lake Winnebago to polluted in to water ski/swim in if the river is?

Rokken with Dokken
    Another Appleton guy here. The Fox Cities (the mini-metro area comprising Appleton, Neenah and several other communities) are a nice place to live. Coming from the East Coast, you will definitely be able to get much more for your housing dollar.

The only negative, at least from a mountain biking standpoint, is that there is indeed a bit of a commute to find good singletrack. Then again, if you're used to commuting to work out East, it may not be a big deal, especially since your daily drive would be pretty much non-existent if you lived and worked in Neenah. The trails I most frequently ride are the Brown County Reforestation Camp, just north of Green Bay (about 40 minutes north) and Standing Rocks near Stevens Point (about 60 minutes west). Both are excellent trails and, I believe, well worth the drive. And as shooty said, there are plenty of others within about two hours.

shooty babitt
    Jul 2007
    No, Lake Winnebago is fine. You can water ski, swim, and even cut a hole in the ice in January and throw a spear at sturgeon. Basically, the Lower Fox River from the south and the Wolf River from the north hit a natural dam at Neenah/Menasha to form Lake Winnebago. The Lower Fox, Wolf and Lake are all fine. Then the Fox River (or "upper Fox") flows out of Lake Winnebago over a series of falls and dumps into Lake Michigan at Green Bay. The upper Fox was lined with paper plants and served as a waste dump for about 80 years before people started thinking about crazy things like environmental regulations. It still has a number of working paper plants on its banks. They don't pollute to the extent that they used to, but the damage has been done.

mtbr member
    Looks like we're moving to Neenah.

We just got back from two days out there to decided if we like it or not. The town doesn't do much for me, but I liked the area up around High Cliff State Park. She'll be working at the north end of Neenah.

Do any of you locals know of a resource for finding a house to rent? We want to rent until we can find the house we want instead of rushing into buying. It's going to be a quick move, we should be there permanently by mid to late November.

Got Force?
    Welcome to the Fox Cities! I live in Appleton which is just north of Neenah. You can take a look at the postcrescent.com which is the local paper to help locate some housing in the classifieds if you haven't found anything yet. As for buying a house here, you can find an awful lot of house for next to no money. Our $210,000 house would cost $500,000 on the east or west coasts. The area is very safe, great for road biking and if you get out of town a bit, also great for mt. biking. Enjoy your new life here, I'm sure you will.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Even Better

Quote Originally Posted by sonex305
    Our $210,000 house would cost $500,000 on the east or west coasts. The area is very safe, great for road biking and if you get out of town a bit, also great for mt. biking. Enjoy your new life here, I'm sure you will.

Housing is almost free in the Fox Valley
    A $200K house in Neenah is easily a million plus on the coasts or metro areas

I'd have a hard time finding an equivalent house 100 miles away down in Madison for $500K

He be a moose too.
    While not a mtb. bike trail, consider spending some time on the Mountain Bay trail that runs from just outside Green Bay to Weston (near Wausau). It's about 85 miles each way and east of Shawano, it's through farmlands, beyond that it goes through the forest and you can go for miles and miles and not see a house. Passes through some small towns as well as an abandoned town or two there also. I did the entire trail in one day and saw maybe a fifteen people on the trail.

It's an old railway path but if you live in the area, make a weekend out of it and camp out, plenty of places to camp albeit not legally, just find a quiet spot and no one will bother you. It's crossed by the Ice Age trail in a few places so you can leave your bike and do a little walking there if you like. I did it a few years ago on Oct. 30 when it was 74 degrees (i.e. last warm day of the year). Colors were grand and the day was good.

Pinguwin

mtbr member
    The Northern Kettle Moraine State Forest is just as close as Standing Rocks County park and has even more trails. Most mountain bikers frequent the Greenbush Trails which by the way has just opened a new single track trail that's a bit more technical and twisty. Mixed early reports say much of the new trail is off camber. But I've talked with a number who like it also.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Members who have read this thread: 0