Coming to Madison - what should I ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Coming to Madison - what should I ride?

I'll be in Madison for a week early in October, and am looking to do some riding in the area - mountain and road. I like to climb, and coming from Denver, I don't mind hills. Any suggestions or trails I shouldn't miss? Thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

We the people ... Blue Mound for shizzy

Quote Originally Posted by DLine
    I'll be in Madison for a week early in October, and am looking to do some riding in the area - mountain and road. I like to climb, and coming from Denver, I don't mind hills. Any suggestions or trails I shouldn't miss? Thanks in advance...
    I haven't ridden alot around Madison, the city itself, so I can't help you on any city parks or must do road rides. For offroad MTB, I highly recommend Blue Mound State Park which is about 35 miles southwest of Madison, just off highway 18 I believe. If you like tight rocky, rooty, mild climbs 100% singletrack then it's for you. A nice mix of intermediate and advanced trails. Check out the WI State Park website and the WORBA site for more info. You'd have to a pay a daily vehicle and trail pass to get in the park - about $8 or $10 I think.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Madison area

Quote Originally Posted by DLine
    There are some amazing places to ride around the Madison area. I live on the west side of the city and can be out in the "country" in less than 6 miles or so....

Great mountain biking in Blue Mounds State Park...I'm new to the sport of MTB and have already had a great header or three. I was out there yesterday and I was the only one in the park.

Nine Mile County Forest is in the Wausau area, about 2 and a half hours directly north of Madison. Great riding also for all skill levels.

I also ride a road bike, some wonderful trails around here and roads that are not very heavily traveled. There is a great set of bike maps available from any bike store...

Want more detailed info...write me at [email protected]

By the way, weather suppossed to be in the 50's and 60's next week....

KuNgFuDeViL
    I don't know the trails in Madison, but heard there are some good ones from friends that go to UW-Madison. In terms of surrounding trails you can hit up Blue Mound, Cam Rock III in Cambridge, and the John Muir Trails. Cam Rock is maybe 20-30 minutes from madison, and the John Muir Trails are probably 40-50 from Madison.