Chequamegon This Weekend??? Anyone??- Mtbr.com
    Not really that big!
    Feb 2004

Chequamegon This Weekend??? Anyone??

I have recently relocated to the Twin Cities and have never ridden in the Cable/Hayward area. I have a number of friends that have done the FTF40 all talk about how awesome the riding is there. I am considering putting together a last minute Memorial Day weekend trip. Anybody else gonna be there this weekend? I am planning on camping and looking for some of the nice technical riding I hear about. If you have a group ride going down or some locals that would be open to showing me around, I would love to invite myself! Any recommendations on where to camp (I know it will be crazy busy in the main campgrounds- not looking for anything too fancy). Maybe have some beers after the ride?? Let me know. I would love to see what ya got over there in 'Sconsin.
    Just Ridin' Along

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Won't be back in Hayward till Sept., but you got me thinking about it already. I don't know what the weather has been like up there, but I'm thinking this is a good time to go before it gets too hot, then again, does Hayward area ever really get that hot?!? I'm sure your buds will recommend some trails, but I'd strongly recommend: the Hatchery Creek Trail that is a loop to/from the Hayward trailhead/Mosquito Brook trailhead. You can tie it into some riding on the Birkie and actually they were extending it past the Mosquito Brook trailhead last summer/fall and I believe this spring too. There long term goal is have singletrack from the Hayward cluster all the way to the Cable Cluster! That's pretty insane! Another must ride IMO is Rock Lake. I rode this for the first time last August, and it was sweet. Some great singletrack that really sends you out to some remote areas. It is battling Ojibwe as my favorite. Definitely take a look at the CAMBA website before you head out. It has some good info on trail descriptions, and somewhree I read a recap on trail closings. I'm pretty sure the Esker trail at the Cable cluster is closed which would make sense. Last year when I rode it, some heavy logging was going on thoughout the 2nd half of the trail, to the point where it really disturbed the trail. They have some maps on-line, otherwise maps are at most of the trailheads and/or you can buy a complete set at the local tourism centers in Hayward and Cable (at least that's where I got mine a few years ago). Sorry I can't recommend any campsites, but I know a ton of them exist in the area. I recall driving near a lot of them a few miles east of Hayward in the National Forest. Have fun and let us know how it went.

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider
    Won't be back in Hayward till Sept., but you got me thinking about it already. I don't know what the weather has been like up there, but I'm thinking this is a good time to go before it gets too hot, then again, does Hayward area ever really get that hot?!? I'm sure your buds will recommend some trails, but I'd strongly recommend: the Hatchery Creek Trail that is a loop to/from the Hayward trailhead/Mosquito Brook trailhead. You can tie it into some riding on the Birkie and actually they were extending it past the Mosquito Brook trailhead last summer/fall and I believe this spring too. There long term goal is have singletrack from the Hayward cluster all the way to the Cable Cluster! That's pretty insane! Another must ride IMO is Rock Lake. I rode this for the first time last August, and it was sweet. Some great singletrack that really sends you out to some remote areas. It is battling Ojibwe as my favorite. Definitely take a look at the CAMBA website before you head out. It has some good info on trail descriptions, and somewhree I read a recap on trail closings. I'm pretty sure the Esker trail at the Cable cluster is closed which would make sense. Last year when I rode it, some heavy logging was going on thoughout the 2nd half of the trail, to the point where it really disturbed the trail. They have some maps on-line, otherwise maps are at most of the trailheads and/or you can buy a complete set at the local tourism centers in Hayward and Cable (at least that's where I got mine a few years ago). Sorry I can't recommend any campsites, but I know a ton of them exist in the area. I recall driving near a lot of them a few miles east of Hayward in the National Forest. Have fun and let us know how it went.
    Esker is not closed, but currently has quite a few trees down.

I am working hard this week to cut the trees off of Ojibwe and Esker (I am Cable cluster trail boss), but there was MUCH blowdown this past week. Cut 19 trees in 1.5 miles the other night, some big 24" maples. Ojibwe is clear on all trails south of Timber Trail road, and mostly clear on the north end of the loop, but the popsicle stick is still really cluttered.

Kinda the same report from Rock Lake as well. Late snow combined with high winds mean lots of trees down right now, and there is only a team of about 6 of us that maintain the 300+ miles of trail.
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

Members who have read this thread: 0