Cheq Fat conditions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Cheq Fat conditions

I just checked the website and due to the severe storms last Thursday there are significant tree damage and flooded trail sections on the long course. Some course changes have already been made and more are being considered before race day. The air temp Saturday morning is supposed to be around 35'F and not much warm up so it will be a cold and wet race. I had planned to run Conti Race Kings and don't really have a back up plan at this point. Could be slickery.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Rode about 20 miles of the course yesterday and 30 miles of it last week the day before the storm. The birkie trail is still closed to Gravel Pit and we could get heavy rain tonight and tomorrow. I rode from Mosquito Brook (mile 7) on and the course is actually pretty good. There were 2 ponds on the Birkie trail south of OO that I had to walk my bike around. Another area of concern is the road coming down off of the fire tower climb. They were in the process of regrading and improving the road during the storm and all the rain has made that descent a muddy mess.

The crew has done an outstanding job clearing trees and debris. There is still a lot of small branches and debris that could take out spokes and derailers. There are also some washout ruts on hills that normally didn't have them.

Use caution, be safe, and have a great race.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It's not looking pretty. Heavy rain the next couple of days and again on Friday night and Saturday morning. 35 deg and rain... How do you dress for that?!?!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    The area is forecast to get 1-3 more inches of rain tonight and tomorrow with possibly more. Bring your waders!

They have already re-routed a short section by Gravel Pit and if we get what they say, I would definitely anticipate more re-routing of the course.

Sconie
    Thanks for the first hand updates! If it looks like it will turn into a mud fest to the point where the hills are so tore up they are not rideable I may leave the race bike at home and try it on my fat bike.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I think 95% of the course is going to be firm and just fine. The ATV trails and gravel roads are still in great shape and the trees are cleared. I also think the hills will be in good shape but expect slow downs in those occasional low lying areas with standing water over the entire trail. I suspect a lot of people will play it safe and choose to walk/run around and that may create some bottlenecks. The fire tower climb and descent will likely be the trickiest part of the course to navigate (as usual).

I won't have another chance to get out until race day but we have maybe had another inch of rain overnight and today and it is tapering off.

You should be fine with either bike. You'll be cold, wet, and dirty either way and hopefully enjoy every minute of it. This will definitely be a memorable race!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMcLovin View Post
    I think 95% of the course is going to be firm and just fine. The ATV trails and gravel roads are still in great shape and the trees are cleared. I also think the hills will be in good shape but expect slow downs in those occasional low lying areas with standing water over the entire trail. I suspect a lot of people will play it safe and choose to walk/run around and that may create some bottlenecks. The fire tower climb and descent will likely be the trickiest part of the course to navigate (as usual).

I won't have another chance to get out until race day but we have maybe had another inch of rain overnight and today and it is tapering off.

You should be fine with either bike. You'll be cold, wet, and dirty either way and hopefully enjoy every minute of it. This will definitely be a memorable race!
    Thanks for the input. I may just go with the race tires instead of buying something grippier. It's a spendy weekend for me without buying new tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks for the updates. I am a Cheq 40 rookie, and between not knowing what to expect in general and the cold/rainy weather, I appreciate all the information that you guys are providing.

I am having thoughts about changing to my knobbier tires as well.....

jsg
    desk jockey

Cheq Fat conditions

Weather Bug says 1.3 inches of rain in Hayward today.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    How much water can this course handle? Are we already at the point where it's going to be a mud race?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I've been running a 2.25 Racing Ralph rear and 2.35 NN on the front and that has been fine all summer on the course including the past couple of wet weeks. I would really worry less about the wet conditions since the majority of the course is gravel and ski trail that drains really well. To my knowledge, there are only a handful of areas with standing water and I believe they are working on either constructing some ride arounds or even temporary bridges.

I am more worried about the minor debris and small branches that are laying around. I have a feeling there will be more than a few derailer hangers and spokes busted. I'd guess we'd get another trail update tonight or tomorrow on the website with more info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonBaer View Post
    Thanks for the updates. I am a Cheq 40 rookie, and between not knowing what to expect in general and the cold/rainy weather, I appreciate all the information that you guys are providing.

I am having thoughts about changing to my knobbier tires as well.....
    The knobbies will slow you down, use a low profile tire that will clear the mud out and not hold mud like knobbies can. The soil for the most part is more of a sandy type than mud and for the most part won't load your tires. Knobbies have a high rolling resistance and IMHO won't make a difference other than slowing you down.

I would make sure to run a chain lube made for wet conditions. The slop will be a big problem for a lot of drivetrains come Saturday morning.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just curious, is the 16mile S&F course typically less muddy than the 40?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    It sounds like the Short & Fat is in good shape and from what I understand will be business as usual. That course is typically not very muddy so I would plan on using your regular setup. The major damage was done closer to Hayward and the south end of the 40 course.

They have announced on the website that they are implementing a wet course contingency plan and there will be rerouting. The details are will be forthcoming and communicated to race participants via email/website/facebook.

MN/WI
    They had the Fat Man on WOJB this morning -- he said to not wear your white jersey. And, on behalf of one of the 500 people who didn't get in this year, enjoy your ride.
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

Sconie
    Considering the weather they had up there lately i'd say the course was in great condition. The volunteers and organizers did an amazing job with the reroute and with dealing with the local waterholes as well as informing everyone about it all ahead of time. You should see all the trees that had to be cleared throughout the course by all the sawdust piles on the trail.

I ran my typical cheq 40 race setup tire wise which worked out great, but i did run a slightly smaller chainring (1x11 setup) than usual and i regretted that. But now I know.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    After seeing first hand the condition of the trail after the storm, not enough can be said how phenomenal of a job Gary Crandell and the Chequamegon Fat Tire crew did getting the course in shape for a race. Another shout out to the Town of Spider Lake for the Randysek/Fire Tower road repair. It looked like a different road than it did a week or two ago.

It was a fast race and the overall vibe of the race was great. I can't wait until next year!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks for the help guys, I had a great time and hope to get in next year for number 2!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Conditions ended up being much better than I would have expected.

MN/WI
    I wasn't fortunate enough to get in the ride this year. Were the pirates back? Or have they been banned for life?
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Didn't see any pirates this year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by theGliberal View Post
    I wasn't fortunate enough to get in the ride this year. Were the pirates back? Or have they been banned for life?
    I'm pretty sure the pirates disappeared when Lifetime Fitness bought the race. I'm sure it was a insurance/liability issue, particularly for a big company (with presumably deep pockets).