Camping or other cheap lodging near Nine Mile- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Camping or other cheap lodging near Nine Mile

Looking for recommendations on lodging near Nine Mile in the Wausau area. I'm meeting a couple riding buddies from Minneapolis up there in a few weeks and we are looking for a campground or cheap motel to crash at that is relatively close by. We would prefer to camp, but it does not seem like there are many options in the vicinity.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby12many View Post
    Looking for recommendations on lodging near Nine Mile in the Wausau area. I'm meeting a couple riding buddies from Minneapolis up there in a few weeks and we are looking for a campground or cheap motel to crash at that is relatively close by. We would prefer to camp, but it does not seem like there are many options in the vicinity.

Any suggestions?
    You can camp right at Nine Mile...it is allowed but you need to obtain a permit from the Park/Forestry Dept. prior to camping. I'm not sure they even charge for it but you need to have one in case the ranger or cops happen to swing by. There are some decent spots along the north side of the main parking lot to set camp. Talk with Randy Lackman (owner of Rib Mountain Cycles) as he does this often with his family. Be sure to buy a trail pass ($5/day or $25 for season) if you are caught without one it's around a $187 fine.

Contact info for camping permit here: Marathon County Parks, Recreation, and Forestry Department at (715) 261-1550, 212 River Drive, Suite 2, Wausau, Wisconsin 54403-5476

The closest "official" campground is Big Eau Pleine County Park about 15 minutes southwest of Nine Mile. We actually have some rake and ride singletrack down there (about 7 miles worth) but it is unmarked/unmapped and a work in progress. More info on BEP here: List of Parks

Closest motel is Days Inn right near the exit for County N from I-39. Not sure how their prices are: http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/wiscon...view?cid=local

The local IMBA Chapter, CWOCC, has done a ton of work to the trails at Nine Mile. If you haven't been there in a while it is much different. Not fully complete and we are getting more new signs/maps printed so they aren't posted yet. I attached a copy of the latest map.Camping or other cheap lodging near Nine Mile-nine-mile-2015.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mblock View Post
    You can camp right at Nine Mile...

Contact info for camping permit here: Marathon County Parks, Recreation, and Forestry Department at (715) 261-1550, 212 River Drive, Suite 2, Wausau, Wisconsin 54403-5476

mblock - Wow, I couldn't have asked for a better reply. Thanks a ton for all the info, exactly what I needed.

Its been at least 5 years since I have ridden up there and am really looking forward to seeing how it has come along. My riding buds from the Twin Cities and I usually meet up at Levis to ride for a weekend, but having done two trips there already this year we are looking for a change of pace.

Thanks again!