CAMBA-Plan my trip- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

CAMBA-Plan my trip

I am looking to spend probably 2-3 weeks camping in the Chequamegon Forest and checking out the trails in the area. This will be next summer, but its never too early to start planning.
    I've never been up there, so I am wondering what the best rides are? I would probably have time to hit every cluster, so if I could compile a list of the best one or two trails in each cluster that would be great. I will also be running a bunch, so if there are trails that would be good for running, I'll take suggestions for those too.
    I appreciate any help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Definitely a great place to go riding. Just up there last weekend. Here's the singletrack you need to ride:

1. Rock Lake Trail
    2. Namekogan Trail/Patsy Lake
    3. Hatchery Creek Trailhead to OO (Makwa Trail)
    4. Ojibwe Trail

There's a good 4-5 days of biking there.

Don't worry about the other clusters, unless you like double track and fire road.

Bear

agree...

The above recommendations are spot on.

My only suggestion is to combine #1 and #2 into one big ride...start at Namekagon town hall. Very very good long ride.

MN/WI
    OK, here's a related question to those with experience in the area -- what are the blood-thirsty insects like in the summer? Granted, the past few years have been dry (so I'm told) and their numbers are down. But what about a "typical" summer?

I was just on the Hatchery Creek/Makwa trails a couple of weeks ago. Very good riding.
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks a lot for the help, it looks like these trails will be the first ones I hit, then maybe check out a few others if I have time. I'll be making the trip in late May or early June, so hopefully the bugs wont be too bad.
    If anyone has other suggestions, I still have a few days to fill for the trip.

MN/WI
    The only reason I asked about insects is that I'm new to biking in the area. Riding in October isn't indicative of the bug population.

I just remember biking in the Pillsbury Forest (near Brainerd in MN -- very similar) and seeing the shadow of the bugs behind me. Put me in a room full of mosquitos with 10 other people and they go for me.

Anyway, enjoy the trails. You may find some more useful information in an earlier thread I had about the Hayward Cluster. Someone put a nice pic of what I believe is the Makwa Trail.
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    For each of the trails listed above, is there free parking at the trailheads? And has anyone primitive camped in the forest? The site says that you can camp for free if you are at least 50 feet from a trail, I'm just wondering where I could park my car.

=========
    There's some really nice paddling opportunities up there too. The Namekogen River, and a zillion small lake paddles. The forest service campground on the north side of Lake Namekogen has some nice big sites in the first loop (like site #'s 3-9) where, some of the old 'mtbr - nag' gatherings were held. There's also a really nice USFS Campground a little north of Cable called Twin Lakes that has some great lake access campsites that are outstanding.

Living the thug life.
    Quote Originally Posted by kopid03
    Thanks a lot for the help, it looks like these trails will be the first ones I hit, then maybe check out a few others if I have time. I'll be making the trip in late May or early June, so hopefully the bugs wont be too bad.
    If anyone has other suggestions, I still have a few days to fill for the trip.
    From my experience the Rock Lake system can be REALLY bad for skeeters in the spring. I had to repair a tire once and did it while jogging up and down the trail to avoid them. Later in the summer is MUCH better. Oh, and ticks are abundant as well. Nothing to be afraid of, just check your body over when done with your ride.

I would agree on all the trails listed. The Namakagon and Rock lake systems are connected in a couple of spots making for some fantastic long rides. You can get maps of the entire area for about $5 from a bike shop (my favorite is Riverbrook in Seely). There is a small parking fee at the trailheads.

If you are looking for a bug free place to stay I have a place 1/2 mile from Telemark Lodge. From there I ride to the trail heads of all the trails listed except for Hatchery Creek. Fairly cheap, nice and clean place to stay. Primo location. Dog friendly. PM me if interested.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Wall of Voodoo

Right on with the suggestions. Definitely connect Rock Lake and Namakagon for a good epic and there is a great camping spot where the trail meets Rock Lake. The lake is decent for fishing too so you might get some fresh fish. I packed my tent, bed roll, and sleeping bag in on the bike and used a camelback alpine for extra clothes. I made a drop and rode back and packed up food for two days. Also some good camping on the Hildebrandt loop, but keep in mind that it is further in. I also have a sweet secret spot just down the road in between the two trails. When ready to plan details contact me and I will, personally, share the spot. With Makwa extending all the way to County OO you can find some decent spots to hunker down in the wilds there, in fact the Gravel Pit road is very doable for car camping, as is my sweet spot, and some interesting stuff on OO. Also saw a big group camping down by Patsy Lake. Remember when car camping always have an ample supply of malt beverages for emergencies. Also check with the Wisconsin DNR to be able to identify different species of mosquitoes I believe they are about to list some as endangered.

=========
    Also remember that there's no more dangerous thing than a wounded mosquito.....swat to kill.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Northland mosquitos are the bugs to deal with. Other bugs would be deer tick which carry lyme and erhlichia which usually means weeks of antibiotics if infected. Much as possible carry with you DEET and lots of it.

Quote Originally Posted by theGliberal
    The only reason I asked about insects is that I'm new to biking in the area. Riding in October isn't indicative of the bug population.

I just remember biking in the Pillsbury Forest (near Brainerd in MN -- very similar) and seeing the shadow of the bugs behind me. Put me in a room full of mosquitos with 10 other people and they go for me.

Anyway, enjoy the trails. You may find some more useful information in an earlier thread I had about the Hayward Cluster. Someone put a nice pic of what I believe is the Makwa Trail.

Members who have read this thread: 0