CAMBA area - what's your favorite trailhead?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

CAMBA area - what's your favorite trailhead?

I've ridden a selection of the CAMBA trails over the past few years, and will be up there again at some point next week. The last two times we've parked at the County OO trailhead and ridden Makwa and Seeley Pass. Now I'm looking for other good options...

For reference, I'm bringing the family along, so nothing too technical. My kids have ridden the northern end of Makwa (went from OO to a little ways past S28) and the southern end of Seeley Pass (I think we got about halfway to the plunge before turning around). We normally ride John Muir and the stuff in the Chicago area.

I was contemplating parking at Mosquito Brook TH, as we could hit both the southern end of Makwa and Hatchery Creek. Another option I was contemplating was parking at Telemark and riding some of the trails up there. Other than the Fat Tire 40, I've only ridden a tiny amount of the trails up there (demo ride during race weekend a couple of years ago). Not sure what is going on with the resort area, so don't know if we can even park there.

Any help would be appreciated. We're planning a day trip from our vacation base camp near Ashland sometime next week.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I live in Hayward so the CAMBA trails are my home trails. The OO trailhead is a great spot for family riding and less technical.

The Mosquito Brook TH has some good riding but just be forewarned that the Hatchery Creek trail and the first 2 miles north on the Makwa are more rocky, rooty, and more technical than the trails around OO and don't always have that smooth flow that the trails around OO have. They aren't necessarily expert trails but the beginner to advanced-beginner may be a little turned off.

If you are coming from Ashland, the Namekagon and Patsy Lake trails are easier riding in the Namekagon Cluster. I would also recommend the northern part of the Seeley Pass trail. There is a new trailhead near the intersection of Camp 38 Road and Telemark Rd. You can access Seeley Pass of of Camp 38 Rd and if you go south you will find a really cool feature called .38 special and about 2-3 miles later, the famous Gravity Cavity. The Seeley Pass trail is easily becoming an area favorite due to it's flow style and it's also very entry-level/ability friendly for kids. That trailhead is much different than OO though and there's no running water, bathrooms, etc.

Enjoy your ride and bring your mosquito repellent! They are pretty bad this year!

mtbr member
    Rock Lake near Namakagon is amazing. It gets pretty remote back there though, so make sure you bring all your essentials in your pack.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I second the 38 Special trail from the Camp 38 trailhead. That's my favorite trail up there right now. Rock Lake is pretty cool, but very rocky. Probably a little too technical for a family to enjoy fully.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    We like the Namakagon township hall trail head. This seems pretty popular with the locales. We'll be there and at other trail heads July 5th, 6th and 7th.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Arly,
    That's where we ended up. Some great trails back there, but the mosquitoes were just too much for us. Definitely going back there next time.