Calling all DH/FRers in the Oshkosh to Madison area of Wisconsin- Mtbr.com
    SS FR HT

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Calling all DH/FRers in the Oshkosh to Madison area of Wisconsin

Me and a couple of other downhillers were wonder if any one from the Oshkosh Madison area would like to set up a build crue, we currently are looking at variouse ski hills that would be willing to open theres runs up during the summer for bikers. So if you are interested let me know

my new(sort of) finished site check it out

www.freewebs.com/wisconsinfreeriders
    Last edited by kitsapfreerider; 01-04-2008 at 09:28 PM.

Custom User Title
    I would love to help out but it wouldn't be on a regular basis. I am in Chicago so that makes it a 3+hour drive.

You should post on some of the local club boards, if you haven't already.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    i would be in, sounds like an awesome idea (even more awesome cuz i got to ride some lifts for the first time last summer in CO)... but i heard through the rumor mill there is going to be a dh run at blue mounds, and shuttle yourself...i dont know if thats true or not

Custom User Title
    That is true but, I don't think they want people on it outside of their DH comps. You can ride up the paved road and then down the course. lots of rocks a couple of jumps and ledge drops.

With that said.....I have rode it and it is a nice little course. I'm looking forward to the race in '08.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    I'm willing to volunteer my time to build some nice downhill trails. Anyone know what the possibility is to get something started at Devils Head, Cascade Mountain, or maybe Tyrol Basin?

I've also sent the message out to my road team, Brazen Dropouts/Cronometro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteele
    That is true but, I don't think they want people on it outside of their DH comps. You can ride up the paved road and then down the course. lots of rocks a couple of jumps and ledge drops.

With that said.....I have rode it and it is a nice little course. I'm looking forward to the race in '08.
    Where exactly is it in the park and how steep is it? I just rode Blue Mound in September but didn't know anything about a downhill trail. Is it suitable for a full suspension XC bike, or more towards a 7" travel bike?

mtbr member

love to help

I'm from the Chicago land area as well but I sure as hell wouldn't mind coming up to put in a couple of hours building trails. I ride with a small group down here. we do a lot of trail building in the summer but its all hush hush stuff, so it would be fun to work on some stuff that might actually last a couple of years. Keep us posted.

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by zenboy99
    I'm willing to volunteer my time to build some nice downhill trails. Anyone know what the possibility is to get something started at Devils Head, Cascade Mountain, or maybe Tyrol Basin?

I've also sent the message out to my road team, Brazen Dropouts/Cronometro
    Devils Head tried it and gave up. I heard that Cascade might be looking into this.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by zenboy99
    Where exactly is it in the park and how steep is it? I just rode Blue Mound in September but didn't know anything about a downhill trail. Is it suitable for a full suspension XC bike, or more towards a 7" travel bike?
    I don't know where it is.
    Last edited by coldsteele; 12-31-2007 at 12:04 PM.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    I had a few friends look into having their weddings at Devils Head and they both said the place looked horribly run down. I also heard another rumor that the owners are hoping to sell, I can't confirm that though.

Maybe if we send enough e-mails to Cascade expressing interest in downhill mountainbiking it might get the ball rolling.

mtbr member
    i know don mckay (owner of tyrol basin) is a very reasonable guy and would be open for ideas whether or not they would consider anything im not sure. cascade is longer from top to bottom, ive only snowboarded there twice though. im not sure what a dh course would be like in the midwest because everything is grass and mowed very short, although tyrol basin does have some rocky cliffs and such over on the west wall

SS FR HT
    That sounds great, im going to work on a formal email to explain what i would like to do. I was thinking of trying to get around 10 people that would be willing to work every week or every other week or just whenever. i was thinking if a ski resort let us use there land, we could work on grants to buy dirt, wood, cement, tools, etc. i actualy worked with a local wood working company to get there palletes and spare wood, we have enough wood to make about 300 feet of bridges and about 20-(per month) pallets for jumps/drops/walls.

We also work with local companies to build things like large wall rides, or bridges.the company would donate a wall and we would have there logo painted on the wall. IMBA would im sure donate bridges or things for well planned out FR/DH trails.

anyway if you would be interested in building or helping with grants, etc. just shoot me an email at [email protected]

Things to include- what is your riding type, your general location, Bike set-up, building. Anything else that you might think useful
    Quote Originally Posted by Formerbmx37
    so if a put a card in my spokes could i trick people in to thinking my bike is good

mtbr member
    E-mail sent.

I just found this video from the 2006 race at Devils Head, looks great!

http://www.sicklines.com/2006/08/29/...e-merrimac-wi/

Can anyone clarify why the mountain biking there ended? Also, for the downhill race did they have lift access?

mtbr member
    From Brendt Sarnwick at Cascade Mountain:

In regards to mountain biking at Cascade Mountain . I have proposed this idea in the past, as well as other management personnel. At this time, we are not considering opening up for mountain biking during the summer months. We have looked at the pros and cons of that, and that is not a direction we wish to pursue at this time. If in the future we possibly consider this option, I will let you know. Thank you for your interest in Cascade Mountain .

mtbr member
    If anyone needs or wants any help to try to pull this off please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]
    3 years ago Whiteface Mountain (owned by the state of N.Y and the Olympic Regional Development Authority) announced the closing for mountain biking at Whiteface.
    I basically had a 1 man battle against the state to reverse their decision. The only way I could do this was to propose to them that I take over the mountain biking as a private business. 3 years later and our numbers are up 125% and we just had a nice article in Decline about our 5 K DH last September.
    If you want volunteers make sure you have the proper insurance to cover them or the mountain will not allow it. Also, when building features you must make sure they are approved by the land owner 1st. Warning that will be a difficult thing to convince any ski area/land owner.
    It will take a a staff of several people working full time to make this happen.One reason ski areas may be reluctant is they will def. lose money for the 1st few years. A risk they may not want to take in their already risky business. Back to running it as a private business. Assuming all risks and expenses would be your best chance in making this happen.
    I had to give up my sales career of 24 years, work more than 100 hours a week with no pay for 3 years to make this happen.
    Not trying to shoot you down as I want this to happen for you guys too. Just wanted to let you know the realities of a mnt. bike park at a ski area.
    Also, which environmental watch groups would be keeping an eye on this? We have the Olympic Authority, Whiteface Mountain,the Adirondack Park Agency and the Department of Environmental Conservation.
    On another note: In 3 years we have had 100's of people asking if they could volunteer. 3 showed up. Only promise what you can do yourself.

Downhill Mike
    Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
    www.downhillmike.com
    Size does matter!
    Last edited by downhill mike; 12-29-2007 at 12:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Just a quick note about the downhill course at Blue Mounds...The only time you can ride it is during the race, it is *not* a normal trail, please don't go looking for it during the rest of the year.

My bet is the best place to start working on is Tyrol, of all the hills in the area they seem to be the most open to trying new things. A good first step might be to try hosting a race there, it would be a way for them to test the waters and get an idea of how many riders they could attract.

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by brassnipples
    Just a quick note about the downhill course at Blue Mounds...The only time you can ride it is during the race, it is *not* a normal trail, please don't go looking for it during the rest of the year.
    Do you know if they are going to have a race or two in '08?
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    I don't recall. A significant issue is the rather short distance there is to work with, and finding someone to manage the race. There is the possibility of a longer course though, if you're interested you should post a message to the CORP maillist, we're pretty open to this sort of thing as long as there is someone to take charge of it. http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/corp_madison

SS FR HT
    I had the idea when i was heading to my private skills park yesterday.....work with a place like tyrol to build a medium size skills park to start out with. Would not need a lot of land but have a lot of bridges, rock obstacles, some stunts like table tops and drop. Just to test, and let the ski resort know that there are people that would like a DH/FR park. Maybe the year after get premission to build an actual park.
    so if a put a card in my spokes could i trick people in to thinking my bike is good

mtbr member

rocks and ski areas

not to be a negative nancy here but i dont think that tyrol (or any other midwest ski area) would go for having permenant mountain biking features on parts of the main ski runs. Their income is from the ski industry and 3 nights or so of pumping snow they have a 6 inch base, this is more then enough to ski on but there would be rocks and log jibs and other fun stuff for us bikers to play on. there is a problem because then it might take a week of running snowguns to cover the hill. which would potentially double snowmaking costs to start up in the early season, just a thought here, im totally behind this and want it to happen, i like the idea of having a skills park maybe just hike-a-bike to get started and to get a foothold in the area and then move to lift access? and i do agree with an earlier post about tyrol being the most progressive resort around. they would be my 1st choice, even more so because devils head's trails folded and cascade has no interest. just some thoughts because im bored and want to move forward.

any ideas for a formal email to present to owners/managers?

SS FR HT
    i was thinking the skills park would be out of the way in the woods, build a small trail to it, an have assorted technical stuff. with like a 5 dollar pass or a 45 dollar season pass. Just to get a foothold like what you were saying, then move to lift use, but all of the DH/FR runs would be in the woods or next to the woods. not to interfer with the existing ski runs.

SS FR HT
    Okay i went out an looked around for examples

http://www.mmba.org/gallery/breck

http://www.mmba.org/gallery/album02

mtbr member
    I was just at the Breckenridge freeride park last September. The nice thing about it is it's in a woods section between a road, two condos and the 5 o'clock ski run. Its completely in an area thats useless for the ski hill.

I was also at Snowshoe in May, same thing there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zenboy99; 01-01-2008 at 07:26 AM.

mtbr member
    nice, well i was also thinking about what keystone has. they have berms and features in the trees and connecting trails across the runs that are just dirt. you could have some sections of features then snake across a run and have some more features on the other stand of trees on the other side of the run and snake back or head over another run ect ect. if we are thinking tyrol i know it quite well. check out the map http://www.tyrolbasin.com/basin/printmap.htm and the sections to the far right, yodler and dare devil have natural cliffs and all that would need to be done are trannys, (when the time was right to develop full lift runs) the run nessie sti and west ridge run would be good for beginner skills features because they dont have a super steep grade

just some thoughts...

and i really liked the examples, the stuff at breck was almost exactly what i was thinking of

SS FR HT

Materials

Okay, im putting together some prices.Plus things i need to know for the area.

Including
    -Lumber prices
    -Dirt prices
    -Nails/screws
    -Tools that we dont already have
    -Anything else you can think of

I just want to get as much info as I can. I was thinking that we could cover the price of lumber, tools, and any materials. If we get permission, I am looking into grants, and other funding. Anyway email me with info, comments or question at [email protected]

mtbr member
    here is a video link to the dh race we helped wors with last year

http://fattires-n-beer.com/v-web/gal...2_itemId=16656

here are pics

http://rivendownhill.com/2007nordicmtndhpics.aspx

i may have something going for next year. we are the ones who have been working with wors for the past 5 years. we did the devils head dh when they had the races there, but devils head always wanted more $$$$$$$$ so the race is now at nordic. the hill is not big but the owner is cool as hell.

shoot me an e-mail
    andy fisher
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapfreerider
    Okay, im putting together some prices.Plus things i need to know for the area.

Including
    -Lumber prices
    -Dirt prices
    -Nails/screws
    -Tools that we dont already have
    -Anything else you can think of
    I can provide all the nails and screws for free. A friend from college can hook me up, and I'll donate them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Where do you even get on the DH part at Blue Mounds? The only place I would even see there being room inside the Holy Schist loop, and I doubt they even maintain it UNLESS there is a race because nobody is able to use it.

On to the topic, I live in madison and during the summer I maybe will be able to help if something gets going. I'm planning on taking summer classes so I don't know how I will be for time. I just started mountain biking last spring and have become bored with the lack of exciting things to ride in southern Wisconsin. I have yet to ride Holy Schist though, maybe that will fulfill my needs, does that have downhill, anybody know? I know I'm always confused riding blue mounds how it seems ALL climbing and never a good downhill part, but you still end in the parking lot.

nor
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Tyrol had XC trail and had a race put on by UW Whitewater about 6 years ago. I think they are open to trails but someone needs to put in the leg work. The also had a DS course that was to the north of the ski hill. They own a lot of land and its not all ski hill, Give them a call. I would like to get the XC trail going again and maybe this could go hand in hand. Shoot me a PM if you find out anything.
    ron-k.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    If you want to pursue this on your own then more power to ya, but it might be very helpful to work with the Dane county chapter of WORBA. They/we know how to work with land managers, organize work days, and build sturdy trails. They've been through the trail building process from proposal opening several times and there is a lot of combined experience there.

Also, don't forget that the Quarry Ridge park in Fitchburg is already primed and ready for a skills park, it just needs some freerider(s) to take charge of that part of the project and work with the CORP gang to get it going. The original plan was for it to be a freeride playground and CORP is just waiting for someone to step up and make it happen.

There is also a proposal to make a proper, professionally designed and built, dirt jump park in Badger Prairie park in Verona, but again there needs to be much stronger representation from the folks who want to ride that sort of thing.

Neither of those are exactly downhill courses (although there is some elevation to work with at Quarry Ridge) but if you want to have some more thrill oriented riding in the area they are waiting to be developed. The hardest part, getting approval, is completely done for Quarry Ridge, and the ball is already rolling at Badger Prairie.

SS FR HT
    Where is Quarry Ridge? What is the CORP's email. I might be interested in helping there too. I have a lot of trail building experience with pro builder. I'm really good with flow and water control. I want to make an official list of DH/FR's that woulds like to start a club so we have a little more organization. Tonight im going to work and make a webpage that we can talk about this project. I will hopeful have the link up tonight for everyone to go to.

my email is [email protected]

mtbr member
    Tonight im going to work and make a webpage that we can talk about this project. I will hopeful have the link up tonight for everyone to go to.
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    the CORP homepage (soon to be completely revamped) is http://www.worba.org/corp/.
    All communication goes on through the yahoo group mail list http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/corp_madison/

And there is this beauty for Quarry Ridge info http://quarryridgeclub.com/

Map http://maps.google.com/maps?q=quarry...=1&sa=N&tab=wl

Here are some drops that we put in last year, http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...t=quarry+ridge

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Where is Quarry Ridge? What is the CORP's email. I might be interested in helping there too. I have a lot of trail building experience with pro builder. I'm really good with flow and water control. I want to make an official list of DH/FR's that woulds like to start a club so we have a little more organization. Tonight im going to work and make a webpage that we can talk about this project. I will hopeful have the link up tonight for everyone to go to.

my email is [email protected]
    Quarry Ridge is right across from nesbit road, behind start cinema. To get to it turn onto nesbit by Jung's Garden center and go down nesbit until you see felly's floral shop, turn left onto fitchrona I believe. Just go down fitchrona about an 1/8 of a mile, under the bridges and turn left into the rest area. The trail head is there, but there is also one up the bike path to the right and down the path about a mile or so. It's a fun trail, but short. The free ride section looks fun but I have to bad of a bike to ride on it, so I just go through and crash on the drop getting out(every time). The dirt jump park would be awesome though, and if you need anybody to sign or make an appearance to show support just hit me up. I goto school in milwaukee but live in fitchburg, so during the summer I will probably be living at Quarry ridge and blue mounds.

SS FR HT

New site (sort of) finished

okay i worked a little bit and look what I came up with

www.freewebs.com/wisconsinfreeriders

yep, its okay but its my first site put together in a day. I will be adding more and editing as we go along

mtbr member
    Heres something to look into. http://www.verticalillusions.com/wisconsin-bike.htm I Hear this place sucks, but that just means it a blank canvis. I say give them a try.

SS FR HT

mtbr member

any news

any news/info on a response from a ski hill? im sure tyrol would give you the time of day if there was some sort of plan, i was thinking if the plan was still to get our foot in the door with a skills area and then move to a dh course, a ski hill would be the place to consider, but im all for getting a skills park built some other place too

Bear

Quarry Ridge...

Hey guys,

The Capital Off Road Pathfinders (CORP) has a montly meeting coming up on Thursday 1/24 at 7pm. We are meeting at Capital Brewery in Middleton.

I would very much appreciate it if a bunch of you that are interested in creating a freeride/skilz park would show up to present what you want to see happen in the Madison area.

Quarry Ridge, although not huge on vertical, already has approval for freeride lines, elevated trail features, etc. CORP has the approval to build what you guys are asking for we just need more bodies to show up that want to see this type of trail happen.

Thanks,

Scott B.
    CORP - President

SS FR HT
    Okay with your help I did some digging, I shot an email to vertical illussions. They said they need some people to build. I was wondering who would be intereted in making a build group, this is offical, for all people that are sure that they would want to build at least once a month, the park is in Dells.

Name:
    Email:
    Times a month:
    Best days to work on:
    DH/FR set up:
    send to [email protected]

mtbr member
    hey i woundering if any one out there is trying to start anything on the westside of the state

SS FR HT
    Sorry everyone for the gap in comunication, i have been really busy with work, im trying to get some money saved for a downpayment on a truck and i have not had a lot of time to post, well im back.

So here is the news
    - Im moivng on the 23 of april
    - Bike and some gear will get here on 30th
    - I have not had an responces to emails of any local areas interested

Okay so i was thinking and talking to local(washington) build groups and they confered some stuff as well as gave a lot of info

-DJ parks are the easiest to build and maintain, i personaly cant do DJ's at all. im more of the DH, big floaty gaps and rockgarden type but that is out of the question with Wisconsin.

-Bridges and technical stuff, easy to build if you have money good land and builders. there are two types of bridges, these two types are determend by the amount of use. this all comes down to strength. If you have a small group of riders -20(private access) you can get away with less supports and cheaper materials. With +25(public access) you have to use stronger materials and more supports which will cost a lot more.

-Flow stuff is a combo of both DJ's and bridges which cost a lot less then bridges, the most expensive thing would be a role-in that is needed for speed. i think to build a two way rolein it would cost about 50 and a one way(best type, less traffic) would cost 75. my prices are based off of local prices not ones from Wisconsin.

Anyway im just working with ideas, if anyone has or knows someone with scrap lumber they would like to donate it would be a lot of help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yo kitsapfreerider.

We just started a new organization for Freeriders in the midwest! The website is still building in content and things like that but we'd love to have stick some ideas and info on there as well. Don't forget there is a DH race in Platteville the like 20th of April that is awesome, floaty gaps, and techy rocks.(oops just realized that's probably before ya move...but if not let me know I have a spare FR rig you can race on if your stuff isn't here yet) Seriously its a damn good time for the whole weekend! They also have a DS and XC race during the weekend!

www.mfcmtb.com

Thanks!
    Buck

mtbr member
    i might be a hook up with scrap lumber/plywood and stuff, not 4x4 treated or anything but 2x4, 2x6 ect in shorter lengths and twisted/warped lumber

rock gardens and stuff arent that hard to build, dig holes, put rocks in, and enjoy

do we have an area to build on yet? still thinking vertical horizions?

i just looked at this thread the other day, kinda cool for beginner stuff

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=373720

SS FR HT

New question here.

i work there on weekends in the freeride section, the stuff is really sketch. I like the wall rides but the flow is really messed up, you can carry enough speed to take you to the top of the big 10foot wall ride and if you do manage to it shoots you into the next berm weird. they tried to fit to many hits in a very small area. The beginer area is fun and easy. Personally i would not build stuff like the stuff at colonnade, but the concept is what i want.

Okay i though i mention this...oooppsss.....we have build permission at vertical illusion to build a third trail with bigger table tops. the guy told me if we could get a group together we could start a trail as volunteer work. I would like to build somewhere else as well as a dont ask dont tell place.

mtbr member
    well yea im not serious about collendale but i liked the concept too, id be down for a hush hush spot and work at vertical horizions, either fixing up existing trail or building a new one

SS FR HT

SS FR HT

Official List

Im going to send an email to vertical illusions saying we would like to start working on a trail, I just want a official work part list,so send me an private message, all i will need is your name,email and time you can work a month. I wont share emails or anything like that.

1. Andy [email protected] Any time im not working
    2. Matt Jensen
    Last edited by kitsapfreerider; 03-24-2008 at 09:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I know that Christmas Mountain in the Dells has a small ski hill and I know that they offered lift service and downhill runs. However, this was a few years ago. Anyway, here is a link to their site http://www.christmasmountainvillage.com/skiing.html. Good luck and I hope your plans work out.

SS FR HT
    Anyone else, even if you have said before you would like to help, shoot me a private message so I can get you on the official list.

SS FR HT
    bump

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yo post this info up on www.mfcmtb.com you'll get a couple peeps that don't post here! and if there is anyway we at MFC can help let me know. We've got some solid connections we've been using to spread the word to the shops...if ya need/want help spreading the word that way...we'd just need like a one pager we can send off! Also be glad to throw up some front page stuff if ya want.

Thanks!
    weRd
    Buck

SS FR HT

Good job!

Hey Thanks i have a post on the Wisconsin Forum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice man...you should talk to the Riven Downhill guys they are working at Nordic Mtn, in Mt Morris WI. They could surely use more peeps diggin'. Its up in the Oshkosh area..

weRd!
    Buck

SS FR HT
    Oh cool i'll look in to that. It would be cool to work on an existing project.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    you have probably heard that there is a freeride day at nordic mountain on saturda the 26 of april, what happend to the devils head downhill course? i had emailed them and they said that the course was going ot be open as soon as the snow melts. i dont know the deal with that but, i think downhill racing or riding period in wisconsin could take off majorly, with the abundance of ski hills spread across the state. some of the bigger resorts need to see that there could be a major attraction and income during the summer months. i dont know why some of the people on this thread said that the hills wouldnt want the trail to be on their ski hills. whell duh if you had a bike course right down the middle of a ski run it would suck. the trails or course would be in the woods that is not used for any ski runs. and that way it wouldnt affect the sking at all. if some of the resorts would agree to build a trail and host a race maybe other places would catch on and realize that they could make some money in the summer months. i think you have an awesome idea going here. if you need any help let me know. i will try to get in contact with some hills myself.

mtbr member
    good luck at devils head. we built the dh course there also and i can gaurantee that unless some riders did some work there it hasn't been touched in 2 years, that goes for the x-c trails also (i actually thought after wors pulled out they closed biking all together). it is a shame because they could have had something great there.
    there is a reason wors moved the subaru cup race from devils head to nordic and it was all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and lots of it.
    hope to see you all at nordic this saturday.

SS FR HT

Its official

Here is the email i just got

Andy,

The Park is all yours! Let me know when your coming and what you need.
    Ive been too busy to build more trails, so it will be nice to have more
    help. I could gather more people for your crew as well. We have a few
    dedicated riders around here.

mtbr member
    nice! sounds good

mtbr member
    where are you going to be building (what park)?

SS FR HT
    Vertical illusions

mtbr member
    where is vertical illusions

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    the shop is in the dells across from pirates cove on the corner. kinda have to look out for it. probably easier to just call and ask directions. gotta stop in the shop and buy a pass $45 for the summer. hell tell you how to get to the trail but its like 20 mins north of the dells

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What everybody seems to want here is available in the Madison area. Richard said what is lacking and that's people willing to work and follow rules. Blue Mound has more vertical than any ski area in the state and the last "DH/FR" work day I held had one person show up. That was me - somebody likely as old or older than most of your parents. Quarry Ridge is a city park with this sort of riding and technical trail features in the MOE and master plan with the same scenario all the trails have where a few stalwarts do most of the work.

Like Richard said. We have this riding allowed at public places, we have a wealth of tools, we have experience working with land managers, and same for writing grants, finding insurance, organizing events, the list could go on.

It's probably safe to say that only about a dozen people over a dozen years made most all of the trail at the 6 properties and 30ish miles of trail. The FR/DH area at BMSP has sat all but abandoned since I had a work day for none of the big talkers to show up.

All somebody has to do is show up. We've had more non-bikers show for trail work than bikers in some of the past two years, so like politics you have to vote. Voting here is giving your time.

Please consider showing up at the work days and you might be surprised by how much can happen!

Good luck to the efforts no matter where they are in the state!

mtbr member
    i would show and work during a dh/fr day at blue mounds but ive asked before and the only answer i got was people were only allowed to ride there during the dh race weekend,(ie no shuttling/hike-a-bike to the top) i dont even know where it is in blue mounds

ive only ridden quarry ridge once (before stunts were put in) and i wasnt that impressed plus its a long drive from my place, blue mounds and quarry park (the one behind whole foods off of university) are my favorite in mad-town area and quarry park is the only fr-ish area that ive ridden around here

edit: i just looked for the dh/fr on the blue mounds map off of madcitydirt and i cant find it, can someone circle the trailhead and end for me if possible? i would gladly throw some hours in to make it rideable, also is it possible to shuttle it in any way?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spazzy
    i would show and work during a dh/fr day at blue mounds but ive asked before and the only answer i got was people were only allowed to ride there during the dh race weekend,(ie no shuttling/hike-a-bike to the top) i dont even know where it is in blue mounds
    I've been told the same thing. If it would fit into my racing schedule I would be willing to help out for a dh trail

mtbr member
    well i would like to ride it anytime if i where to throw in some hours working on it, not one weekend a year

mtbr member
    we (rivendownhill) are very happy to be building trails at nordic mtn in mt morris. i know the vertical isn't all that much but it does have a couple of things going for it that none of the other areas have, (1) it is pretty centrally located in the state (2) it has chair lifts.

although there are only 4 of us who have pitched in, we (including the owner) would love to have people come out and ride the trails we have done so far. it is open for hike-a-bike anytime and is free.

here is a short video of some of the trails we have done.

all we ask is that you do not change anything or build anything, we have a good thing going and do not want to lose it. we will welcome you to come out and do work with us if you would like, or you can just enjoy what we have done.

andy

mtbr member
    It's great to see folks like Riven making progress, WI has some elevation here and there and it's sweet to see those kinds of trails developing. Keep up the good work guys.

As for the Madison area...it's interesting how information gets all twisted up as it gets passed around.

The reality of the situation is this; there are places around Madison to build some fr stuff, including space and permission for a serious dirt jump park. There's even a little bit of money, and enough hands to get some real work done, but no substantial building is going to happen unless the folks who really want to see stunts built start getting involved with CORP, or set out to start their own org to pursue that agenda.

For better or for worse, I think it just means there isn't enough of a fr scene in the area to get the momentum going. In the meantime the Bear is doing a great job getting CORP to expand its membership and get everyone energized about trails and riding so we'll continue to at least see the xc trails develop in the coming years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brassnipples
    It's great to see folks like Riven making progress, WI has some elevation here and there and it's sweet to see those kinds of trails developing. Keep up the good work guys.

As for the Madison area...it's interesting how information gets all twisted up as it gets passed around.

The reality of the situation is this; there are places around Madison to build some fr stuff, including space and permission for a serious dirt jump park. There's even a little bit of money, and enough hands to get some real work done, but no substantial building is going to happen unless the folks who really want to see stunts built start getting involved with CORP, or set out to start their own org to pursue that agenda.

For better or for worse, I think it just means there isn't enough of a fr scene in the area to get the momentum going. In the meantime the Bear is doing a great job getting CORP to expand its membership and get everyone energized about trails and riding so we'll continue to at least see the xc trails develop in the coming years.
    That is pretty much the scene. You just have to give for the greater good. I am not a racer of any sort but I volunteer for the races and worked at the DH race we did have. This week was the first time I even ridden a bike on a trail in almost 2 years because of health and family issues but I keep at it for the sake of the BMSP master plan and to help keep all of our area projects going.

Sorry if my comments can come off as personal or harsh at times, but I get a lot of comments as a trail manager, know how few trail users commit time and money, and have put in 200+ hours volunteer time in a season so I admit that I can sound sour (frustrated today because I'm missing a work day and riding because of parenting and work).

So few give that it's an exponential boost every time just a few people show or a few more $ show. It's a slow road but it does happen. I got my swooping turns and cruising terrain for old farst like me by aiding others and the DH/FR crowd can get their terrain by doing the same.

As far as BMSP: I still recall the FR/DH work day where nobody showed up and the FR/DH work day where 1 showed up and all the complaints for what is there, and we're into May and don't have all of the annual repairs and maintenance done so I hesitate to give up more time parenting and working (I own a business) until more people commit. I hope to see and meet some of you in coming work days and show you what's there and what's available. That includes huge DH/FR possibilities in the abandoned ski area with the old service grades, cat walks and abandoned quarry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That includes huge DH/FR possibilities in the abandoned ski area with the old service grades, cat walks and abandoned quarry.
    -Bitflogger - This is my first season owning a bike and I have not been to many places, but where exactly are you talking about here? When you say possibilities do you mean that there aren't any trails cut here yet or are they just in need of maintenance?
    I went to the freeride day at nordic and have to say that the guys at riven did a ton of work, especially for only having four people. Very impressive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bdvdub
    -Bitflogger - This is my first season owning a bike and I have not been to many places, but where exactly are you talking about here? When you say possibilities do you mean that there aren't any trails cut here yet or are they just in need of maintenance?
    I went to the freeride day at nordic and have to say that the guys at riven did a ton of work, especially for only having four people. Very impressive.
    There are trails in all areas of the park except south of the camp ground. That is flagged and won't be started on for a while. There is FR/DH terrain above the campground that has been abandoned due to nobody showing up to work and a lot of potential in Pleasure Valley. That includes a 6 foot drop and huge downhill switch back. The photo here is in the area where work was abandoned above the camp ground.

I wish progress would be faster, wish same for those working hard in other places and we hope to see some new faces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is there any where we can read the details on the DJ/FR stuff around Madison? It'd be great to hear about these possibilities.

My next question is how is the word spread about these possiblitlies/opportunities?

Thanks
    Buck

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck
    Is there any where we can read the details on the DJ/FR stuff around Madison? It'd be great to hear about these possibilities.

My next question is how is the word spread about these possiblitlies/opportunities?

Thanks
    Buck
    Join CORP.

http://www.madcitydirt.org/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just looked around CORP and didn't see anything related to any of the trails peeps have been talking about in this thread...just a forum that looks like got started yesterday! Am I looking in the wrong spot?

I'm curious where the plans are for the proposed DJ/DH/FR area? Or aren't there plans yet and you guys are looking for builders and feedback and got no response?

I'll try to follow it as close as I can! I am located up in St Paul but just started this website/organization a couple months ago... www.mfcmtb.com ...Already been crankin' away on projects up here.(acutally laying out a new DH trail tomorrow in Red Wing MN for a race series we are putting on there)

Hopefully we can become a clearing house for Midwest related info regarding DH/FR build days/planning/events/etc. But the more I look into stuff in WI the more I am stoked on the different opps that there are. Just doesn't seem that the word is getting out there for any of the projects! The only work I've ever done in WI is buildin the DJs for Lake Owen's BMX program.

Anyway let me know how we can help!

weRd
    Buck

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck
    Just looked around CORP and didn't see anything related to any of the trails peeps have been talking about in this thread...just a forum that looks like got started yesterday! Am I looking in the wrong spot?

I'm curious where the plans are for the proposed DJ/DH/FR area? Or aren't there plans yet and you guys are looking for builders and feedback and got no response?

I'll try to follow it as close as I can! I am located up in St Paul but just started this website/organization a couple months ago... www.mfcmtb.com ...Already been crankin' away on projects up here.(acutally laying out a new DH trail tomorrow in Red Wing MN for a race series we are putting on there)

Hopefully we can become a clearing house for Midwest related info regarding DH/FR build days/planning/events/etc. But the more I look into stuff in WI the more I am stoked on the different opps that there are. Just doesn't seem that the word is getting out there for any of the projects! The only work I've ever done in WI is buildin the DJs for Lake Owen's BMX program.

Anyway let me know how we can help!

weRd
    Buck
    Hi,

Yes, the web site is new. The groups is making a transition from using a Yahoo Group for several years.

Official plans are in the MOUs and documents the land managers have. Bike poachers have already caused us extreme grief by having an access road closed so what was done via Gator or my rig is now almost an hour lost to carrying tools when we work there. Really nice that a few fools made life harder forever eh? I put in as much as 200 hours a year and Walter dwarfs what I do so we're not going to be making it easier for a few fools to wreck things for all if we can.

On your "Anyway let me know how we can help!". That is simple and hard. The simple is somehow make it known that people have to pitch in. Our area has 3 public properties with permission for expert riding including technical trail features. Most all the work is done by few people, and that's a problem all over. Here we have several stalwarts in their 50s and others starting families which translates to turnover and less volunteer time. At Blue Mound we've had two seasons where non-bikers outnumber bikers doing trail work. I hope somebody does the math (non-biker interests + volunteer turnover) and realizes that they should give if they want trail.

Thanks much for your interest and any content you can put on your site that can up the volunteering.

mtbr member
    hey bitflogger is there any way i could just put in some hours on the dh trail at blue mounds myself? is it stil ok to ride there? or deemed illegal? i would put in a weekend to make it rideable, or is it just terrible and beyond repair? i have a pretty good idea that it starts from the top parking lot, (correct me if im wrong) but where does it end?

p.s. this is becoming the super duper midwest dh/fr thread and i love it

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spazzy
    hey bitflogger is there any way i could just put in some hours on the dh trail at blue mounds myself? is it stil ok to ride there? or deemed illegal?
    No. It is a state park. That means rules come from as far up as the legislature and governor and as far down as the ranger who manages the park. No trail work is to be done without supervision and the trail managers must have _ALL_ work approved by the head ranger before it starts.

You can ride there when the ranger posts trails open. The trail used for the races is only opened for events and by the head ranger.

The park is owned by the approx. 5.5 million WI residents so I hope that explains why there are rules and why they have to be respected. That said, the head ranger gets a score of about 300 on a 1-10 scale and we've had unprecedented privileges. Joining the regulars who work there gives you those unprecedented privileges and helps insure superb trails will be made well and present for generations. I hope we can meet and we look forward to any help we can get.

FR/DH riders joining will do much to turn around what the ranger and managers have seen - talk but little action, poor follow-up for what has been done and poaching. It would be a wonderful bit of respect to those who started the big terrain if somebody stepped up and continued.

The next work days is this coming weekend, and I hope to see many there.

Thank you.

mtbr member
    dang i wont be able to make it, the joy of college finals, i should be home for the next one though, i figured everything is still pretty wet with all the snow and rain we've had this whole year

mtbr member
    just wanted to give the riven crew props.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Stoke man! I've worked with state peeps before in the end its usually worth it!

I think the more you can spread the word the more peeps you'll get! My guess is the talkers were just that and the guys you really want may not have even heard about the projects!

Side note:
    Right now we are crankin' on a DH series in Red Wing MN!

http://www.mfcmtb.com/2008/05/11/jolly-roger-dh-series/

weRd
    Buck

SS FR HT

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Hey everyone we are having a mini build party this sunday at Vertical Illusions. The park is awesome there is alot of elevation change and about 80 acres. send me an email or private message if you are interested in coming it is $45 for a year pass.

[email protected]

Members who have read this thread: 0