Cable Trails- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cable Trails

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Cable Trails

Planning for a Saturday trip from Duluth to Cable and ride trails there. I heard about the ojibway trail. With the recent rain is it going to be good?
    Are the trails for the short and fat already marked?

Thanks in advance
    JD

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not knowing how much rain they've gotten, don't take my word as gospel, but for the most part the trails in the CAMBA network dry out relatively quickly. A few years ago I got caught in a downpour 1/3 of the way in while riding Ojibwa. I was able to ride out without doing damage to the trail. All the newer trails, including Ojibwa are designed to IMBA standards, so they drain very well. Also, the soil composition up there is has a high percentage of sand, so it drains and dries quickly.

I'm planning a trip up there for early September. I can't wait!!! Miles upon miles of singletrack!

just ride
    Riding is good here right now. A bit of rain, but not too much, so the trails are firm and fast.

A small correction, we currently use IMBA standard as a guideline when building trails, and stick to it for the most part, but do make small alterations in order to make things fun in certain areas. In addition, Ojibwe was built before CAMBA adhering to that, so Ojibwe is a very sustainable trail, but probably the furthest from IMBA standard of any of the major singletracks (Hatchery, Makwa, Rock Lake, Namakagon)

See you out on the trail!
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    We got there yesterday about 10 am. Pay at the parking lot by just being honest (which still abounds in the midwest) , We rode Rock Lake all the way to N12 and headed back to the parking lot. It is well marked and you can find your way back with out going into the other cluster of trails (Lake Namekagon). It is about 13 miles of technical trail that ate up my energy, there are short steep climbs but a lot of long graduall climbs that would slowly zap the energy. It was a great trail. We thought of doing Ojibwe, but another 13 miles of Brutal trail, we decided to do Ezker. More decent lightly technical and yet gradual and long climbs. The afternoon heat added to the factor and I cramped in both thighs walked and shook it off rode back to the parking lot of telemark.
    Overall a great mountain biking day. Thanks CAMBA volunteers for trail maintenance. Will be back there for the short and fat and another fall ride to CAMBA trails
    JD

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoy_d
    We got there yesterday about 10 am. Pay at the parking lot by just being honest (which still abounds in the midwest) , We rode Rock Lake all the way to N12 and headed back to the parking lot. It is well marked and you can find your way back with out going into the other cluster of trails (Lake Namekagon). It is about 13 miles of technical trail that ate up my energy, there are short steep climbs but a lot of long graduall climbs that would slowly zap the energy. It was a great trail. We thought of doing Ojibwe, but another 13 miles of Brutal trail, we decided to do Ezker. More decent lightly technical and yet gradual and long climbs. The afternoon heat added to the factor and I cramped in both thighs walked and shook it off rode back to the parking lot of telemark.
    Overall a great mountain biking day. Thanks CAMBA volunteers for trail maintenance. Will be back there for the short and fat and another fall ride to CAMBA trails
    JD
    You are welcome. And how was Esker? I am responsible for that one too, but havent been out there in a few weeks. Trees down?
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Chequamoagon,

As far as I remember there is "a" tree down right at the top, some overgrown shrubs as you ascend from the dirt road. Ezker was fun but as I said I had double (thigh) cramps Anyway not your fault Thanks again hope we could clone you people of CAMBA we could use your clones here in Duluth for more help
    JD

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm heading up to Cable for a few days of riding the 2nd week of Sept. Looking for a general trail report. I know the CAMBA site says everything is OK, but did any trails get logged through this year, major blow downs, etc. Will be hitting up the singletrack at the Hayward, Cable, and Namakagon clusters. Anxious to try out the new Makwa trail. I think I rode about 1/4 -1/2 mile of it late last summer, but from what I understand it's done now - hopefully well worn in too. Anybody know the status of the Telemark Terrain Park? Last August I rode it, and it was in bad shape. If I had not ridden it the year before, I would not have been able to find or follow the trail. The ladder bridges were gone, and it was just in rough/non-maintained shape. I take it the resort doesn't like it anymore? I personally thought it was pretty sweet - a slow, techy 1/4 mile loop to play around on.
    Last edited by wi1trackrider; 08-24-2008 at 02:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The Makwa Trail is not complete yet (as defined by reaching OO), BUT...it has been extended several miles from Mosquito Brook Rd. The Makwa Trail is an awesome addition to the CAMBA singletrack system. It starts out with a nice rocky segment, then starts to flow smoothly on a fast, well worn run across the Birkie trail, joins the Sugarbush Trail briefly, until it reaches (at least since this past Sunday) where the construction ends. At that point, you can turn around and fly back the same trail or do a turn on the Sugarbush. The Makwa is definitely worth riding as is and we look forward to its eventual continuation to OO!

Members who have read this thread: 0