Bridges in Bairds- Mtbr.com
    superluker
    Aug 2009

Bridges in Bairds

Went out for a little evening ride tonight and found that three bridges had been removed. One I have never seen but had heard about. Another that was recently constructed, and the third, also one of my favorites; on the far east side. Obviousely cut apart with a chainsaw, the pieces where small enough to be thrown about. There were also remnants near another bridge from the smallest of the three bridges, which leaves me to assume that they have been carried there. I'm not sure if the city removed them, as they usually remove the materials when they take things down. This isn't anything new, as there have been many bridges or stunts completely taken down and removed. In the past there was even a tree fort that was dismantled. (which is an example of the city removing materials) It sure is a bummer. My favorite of the three bridges was used on every ride linking some very good trails! Now, instead of bombing a hill and shooting across the bridge, we are sent looking for another route. This is quite easy to do, but this will spawn new trails, leaving one to speculate that the bridge haters would also disapprove of. Ugh!

mtbr member
    Jesse?

I am VERY disappointed to hear by your description that the particular bridge after the drop is out. I assume you're speaking of the one far east, south side of the creek, where we drop in and kick off the tree root on the other side? That's rough.

I assume the other of the three is that new one built on the top where the pumpkins were last fall. What's the third? Not the one with the drop that Andy and I are always playing on, is it?

So it goes. I think this was likely done by some individual who is a user of the trail for hiking and nature purposes and not the city if nothing was removed. There seems to be a lot of conflict developing there, exacerbated by that recent trail building from last year. Some more cooperative efforts would be helpful, but unfortunately I won't be in the area much longer. I hope the trails can live on to improve and continue to bring all the other riders the happiness I've enjoyed on it.

PS - it seems like someone cleaned the dh section on Mars. Flows really nice through the runout

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I was out for a short ride on Saturday afternoon and didnt notice anything except for one board missing off the bridge made on the fallen tree over the creek with the drop at the end. I saw two new narrow bridges (NOT the two boardwalks) that were put up since fall. I noticed them mid winter while out there and they were still there Saturday. The guy who built them had a laminated piece of paper taped to a tree with his name and number looking for donations to make more since they ran about $60 each. I have the name and number by the way.
    Id like to know which 3 are missing too. I sure hope its not the one with the small logs along the edges near the short but steep hill. Thats my favorite!

superluker
    Aug 2009
    Scottvt, oh yeah your favorite was one of the victims. I'm guessing they were removed Sunday or Monday. The person I rode with Monday evening rode Saturday and they had not been removed then. One could assume the new bridge and trail built by that person raised some eyebrows. I enjoy new trails but I understand it's a city park and random trail building is frowned upon.

Wheelock, Jesse? Nope. He wrote about it on his blog though.
    http://themakerofshoes.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have a hard time believing the person who put up the 2 new narrow bridges was the same person who cut the new trail and built the bridge that Wheelock was referring to, on top of the hill where the pumpkins were last fall. The locations the new bridges I saw were crossing the creek in spots I found to be easily cross-able by bike. Well maybe not this early in the seaon when the water is high like it is now, but I remember splashing through there plenty of times last year with no issues. I think they were made by a hiker, with hikers in mind. The other one by the new trail cut on the hillside, on the other hand, Im leaning towards a biker as the builder of that one. I wish we could all get along.

Wheelock, what is Mars?

superluker
    Aug 2009
    I don't know who built or removed the bridges, just speculating. Still a bummer though.

Mars...West of 43, North East of Baird Creek Rd.

mtbr member
    Interesting stuff. Thanks for the link to Jesse's blog. Never knew that existed. I get a kick out of his comment about the people bombing down onto that bridge. I know it would've been pretty late that I realized it were gone if I didn't know beforehand...maybe ending badly.

All in all, this is a stinker. More importantly though, camp will be open in a few weeks and the season is upon us

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by taehome
    Mars...West of 43, North East of Baird Creek Rd.
    Gotcha. Ive only been over there a couple of times. I should really ride that more.....

Does any one plan on attending the Baird Creek Cleanup on April 17th that was mentioned in the blog linked above? Maybe a few MTB'rs out there cleaning up and kissing some ass wouldnt hurt.... Work always picks up when the weather gets nice so I may have to work Saturdays. If not and others are going, I may take part as well.
    Last edited by scottvt; 03-31-2010 at 01:11 PM.

mtbr member
    I added it to my calendar after reading it on Jesse's blog, and will be there!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Count me in for the clean-up also.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i will admit to having cut most of the brush on the west side of 43 from lot bottom lot to danz avenue. my dog and i took a long walk on a sunday and i trimmed as much as i could with a hand saw and hatchet. seemed to clear up most of the tangled mess, some still needs trimming.a chainsaw would be needed to cut through last big tree on that side that is blocking path.
    the one bridge i noticed that was taken out was the small on going from north side of creek on east side of 43, that was last sunday i saw it gone. it had the note taped to tree by it. i rode across creeek in that spot, which could use some rock filler.
    its sad to see such a great area turn into a pissing match between people over nothing really. all people out there can use the bridges.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    yeah, i'll be at the cleanup too. I wish we could do more 'trail work' than 'litter pickup' during this stuff, but oh well, it needs garbage pickup too. Plus, its nice to see the trails we bomb up and down, at a snails pace. The past two years, I have found some trails during the cleanup, that I never even knew existed.

yeah, sucks about the bridges. Frustrating.

Our local 'group' of riders have tried hard to get "in" with the city, in order to maintain the current trails(not make new ones) out there over the past two years. It's amazing how hard it is, to get 'permission' to do absolutely anything out there.(weedwacking/leaf blowing/cutting downed trees, etc). Technically, BROWN COUNTY owns the land. the CITY OF GREEN BAY is in charge of the upkeep, but they gave BAIRD CREEK PRESERVATION FOUNDATION permission to oversee everything. So....no ONE really has a final say in what goes on there. Everyone says talk to someone else, and gives you the run around.

The TRAIL CLEANUP is a great time to show face, and get to know some 'important people' as far as Baird Creek is concerned. Typically, there is a mtn bike ride after as well.

mtbr member

City took down the bridges due to liability

The city removed the bridges due to liability. Spoke to a guy yesterday. City is getting pissed with all the "new" trails made by mountain bikers. This may not be good for Baird. I wish I could attend on the 17th, but I am running the marathon at Navarino that morning.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    is there anything that can be done about this.. does anyone know of the people that possibly the mountain biking community could talk to about bairds, and possibly getting something started like what is going on out at the reforestation camp. surely someone in the city or parks department would be open to hearing from groups of people looking to make this work for everyone. this could also provide money for the city if they were to do a seasonal pass here for bikers,skiers,walkers,dogs. etc. it seems that for years this area has functioned well with all the different activities going on at once.
    if we could ge an established loop of trails to use for mountain biking layed out so the threat of people making new trails would be minimized due to good upkeep on the existing trails. same possibility for xc skiers as well.
    what i think is funny is that some of these bridges were made and put out by walkers and hikers not the mountain bikers. i would sure be terrible to lose access to such a great area. and on a second note the signs put up by the skiers for "easy" or "hard" trails on trees is just as much a NO,NO as building a bridge in my opinion.

(Our local 'group' of riders have tried hard to get "in" with the city, in order to maintain the current trails(not make new ones) out there over the past two years. It's amazing how hard it is, to get 'permission' to do absolutely anything out there.(weedwacking/leaf blowing/cutting downed trees, etc). Technically, BROWN COUNTY owns the land. the CITY OF GREEN BAY is in charge of the upkeep, but they gave BAIRD CREEK PRESERVATION FOUNDATION permission to oversee everything. So....no ONE really has a final say in what goes on there. Everyone says talk to someone else, and gives you the run around.)

if this is the case with bairds ultimitely this is a tax payer issue and i would think that there is a chance to make this work. is it possible to take this to a city council meeting of some sort or a county meeting??
    i cant believe that years ago they were able to allow select people to bowhunt certain areas of this land and we cannot get something accomplished in order to sustain a marked trail system for biking. i cant imagine that the Preservation foundation is that powerful of a group, and i bet they were not in support of the hunting either.

If anyone has any numbers or people to contact please post them up here. i would like to take this idea up to whom ever it needs to get something done. with the amount of bikers around here i think that there would be lots of help and support for something like this.

i think we could use the internet as a huge tool for this as well as all the local guys and bike shops around im sure would be willing to help out and support this.

mtbr member
    I am not sure who best to contact, I talked to a guy named Gary, not sure of his last name.

Best I can suggest is to get a hold of someone on this page:
    http://bairdcreek.org/history.htm

Executive Director Maureen Meinhardt at (920) 328-3505

Myself and a fellow co-worker are interesting in knowing what we can do to help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i will contact maureen. and keep you posted. this is gonna take some elbow grease but i think it will be worth the effort.
    i also got some infor from Gomez to contact our area guy for john from worba. i am also gonna contact the city to see where to go from there..

if the mayor wants to spend 2 million dollars to put in a roller coaster and millions on redoing the fox river buildings im thinking some pressure from taxpayers may also help to sway some political influence to help this along as well.

Garth Brooks & Dun Rulz!
    Jan 2009
    We will see how long this lasts...

It's not bridge building if the pieces are just laying there, right?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridges in Bairds-mojo-016.jpg  

Bridges in Bairds-mojo-017.jpg  

Bridges in Bairds-mojo-018.jpg  

Bridges in Bairds-mojo-020.jpg  

mtbr member
    A friend of mine keeps talking about something they got up to building the other day. I'm going to sit and grumble on the sidleines awhile until I'm cleared to get back on my bike. Hope to be able to check that stuff out soon!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    no call back from maureen. not really surprised, im guessing this is the group that is in direct objection to the mountain biking. but im sure they appreciate the free labor to clean up bairds..
    also no email back yet from john from WORBA yet..
    i will be moving on to city/parks department to see where i can go from here.
    any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Tazducks, thanks for stepping up and trying to get this settled. If you need help hollar.

Wheelock, any hints as to where this new "something" may be found?

If they are worried about liability, rather than destroying existing structures, can't they just put up a warning sign? "Caution. Use this MULTI-USE trails system at your own risk. Baird Creek and the Green Bay Parks Department are not liable for any injuries that may have occurred on this property" That simple....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ya the liability thing i thought could easily be squashed, ride/walk/ski at your own risk.. same basic rules any park would have..
    im confused cuz i know ive seen cross country ski trail signs on north side of creek going towards danz avenue nailed to trees.. where is there no liability in that???

mtbr member
    A different approach might be a stone/gravel or maybe some type of brick paver combination type crossing? I've not seen the crossing so I don't really know if that would work, just thought I'd throw the idea out there.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

mtbr member
    I'm unsure of what structure my buddy was talking about, and I can't ride until next week. Knowing him it would be repair of one of the destroyed features. We all feel pretty much the same abou this in that new stuff shouldn't be put up, and there's lots of great work that can be done for upkeep on existing trail. Erosion has really taken its toll

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

IMBA support

Hey guys,
    I am not totally up to date on what is going on in GB but I have been to Baird numerous times. Contact me at my email address and let me know what is up with the situation. I can at the very least help you with a little bit of leverage. I would also be interested in knowing how you are organized, IE club and what your advocacy strategy has been in the past.
    Who knows, I cant fix it, but I can give you some insight.
    Hansi
    [email protected]
    Midwest RD

PS go to the State Summit in two weeks, this is exactly what it is for!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    hansi, i am very interested in talking with you. could you please contact me i will send you an email with my phone number..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Hey guys,
    I am not totally up to date on what is going on in GB but I have been to Baird numerous times. Contact me at my email address and let me know what is up with the situation. I can at the very least help you with a little bit of leverage. I would also be interested in knowing how you are organized, IE club and what your advocacy strategy has been in the past.
    Who knows, I cant fix it, but I can give you some insight.
    Hansi
    [email protected]
    Midwest RD

PS go to the State Summit in two weeks, this is exactly what it is for!
    Im not entirely sure, as Im still somewhat new to this, but my understanding is that WORBA used to have a Green Bay chapter. I tried to contact the guy who was listed as the chapter president on WORBA's site a while back. He responded saying he was out of the swing of things for a couple years and they havent been doing anything in the area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    oooooooooooooooookkkk. so in a nutshell here is what i have got figured out this week.
    First of all thank you Gomez, and Hansi for the help, i spoke with Hansi for about half hour today and here is the game plan and the best route to go about this Bairds deal.
    1.form a club to represent us
    2.speak to county/city
    3.talk with other associations
    4.get support from local bike shops
    5.KEEP IT SIMPLE!

what i am proposing to all who are interested is to officialy start up the
    1.Bairds Creek Bike Club
    -i would like to establish a list of all who would like to join (free of charge, except for some elbow grease)
    -obviously address phone number etc.

2.i spoke to keith @ park/rec of green bay. short version of it
    -he is very interested in a group/club working with city and the baird creek preservation club in order to establish a marked bike trail system as well as build and maintain trail stystems.
    -he also told me we can all expect to see a black top path being put in on north side of creeek from Danz avenue to the lower parking lot this year.
    -he also said the there are 2 people that are design superintendants that are working to do exactly what we are looking to accomplish.

i then got in contact with him. his name is Dan and he is extremely interested in hearing what we as group can bring to the table with ideas/work/support etc.
    -he proposed a club or group established first then contact him to set up meeting with him in order to move forward with this project.
    -he also said the preservation society had taken gps coordinates of all the public trails/bike routes that were in city property and will have them to help establish a trail system.
    -he also stated that the preservation society is very willing to work hand in hand with us and is not out to remove the access to bikes.
    -the biggest thing that will help our position here guys is the fact that the city is very shorthanded on workers and $$$ to maintain the system of trails which could be left up to us and following city restrictions we would also be able to do work projects, establish good trails and fix what needs fixing/ using tools, saws, etc.

On a second note. i told him what was going on here about the bridges being taken down and how [email protected]@ed off we were. and let me tell you i was very happy to hear him ask what was going on and why we were mad. i genuinely think he cares but did say that if the city sees any bridges or is informed of them on private or public property they will cut them down, due to the safety/liability.
    but if these were built to a safety code and in cooperation with the city and preservation club these things can be done and maintained by us.. The huge walkway that is just east of 43 was built by an eagle scout who contacted city to do it on his own as a work project. So it can be done.

Now what i am proposing is to
    1.establish a group of people interested in seeing this thru
    2.establish a meeting place first week of may to have all interested parties together to discuss and move forward.
    3.meet with Dan and give him our ideas and lay out a plan of attack
    4.set up work days, set up fun rides and enjoy the fruits of our labor!!--little early but you get the point.
    Lastly i would like all of you to check out the IMBA site and possibly join up.
    i have gotten emails from john from worba on this already and would like also try to involve the titletown flyers and others in the effort. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated and i would be willing to listen to any and all ideas.
    What else you guys think needs to be addressed here?????????????????

anyone interested in seeing the emails i have gotten from the IMBA pm me and ill forward it on..

ALSO, I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ATTEND CLEANUP AND WOULD LIKE TO HAVE SOMEONE BRING THIS IDEA UP THERE TO THE GROUP AS WELL!
    Last edited by tazducks; 04-07-2010 at 04:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    tid bit from what i got from Hansi in email..good stuff here

A) Create an inventory of resources available to you.
    1) IMBA and WORBA and contacts listed above, plus more I can get to you.
    2) Other existing concerned folks, any MTB riders in city government? Might be surprised!
    3) Other clubs or organizations that are in your camp. Titletown Flyers, conservation organizations, allies etc. Reach out to the other user groups as well, even if they seem anti bike etc, if anything let them know you are concerned enough to get organized. Sometimes this can create opportunities that might have taken longer to show up.
    4)Shops in the region.

B) Start to create a constituency. A simple club, a group of people willing to lend their voices to become a bigger voice. Can be a simple group of people. If possible get that club to become WORBA and IMBA affiliated because it will lend power to that punch. But again keep it simple to start with. Get these people together, as they will be ultimately what makes things happen in the short and long run. This in my opinion is by far the most important part, the foundation of getting some things done overall, put your effort in here for sure.
    C) Start learning the ins and outs of the beauracracy you are going to have to navigate, as you begin to learn who is making the decisions and why you can start to formulate a plan of action on who to approach and why.
    D) Start to have meetings, clearly laying out your needs, goals and who you are as an organization. At this point you are more than one person, you are a solid group of aware, educated, informed and serious citizens who are cyclists and you want to have official access to trails in Bairds Creek.
    E) With cooperation with the land managers (an MOU), create a good plan for sustainable trails and their maintenance in Bairds Creek.
    F) Get yourselves educated through an IMBA Trail Care Crew visit http://www.imba.com/tcc/index.html or a Wisconsin State Trail Building School.
    G) Build, restore or maintain those trails.
    H) Ride Brains out.

So Eric this should kick start your effort. Please keep me in the loop as you reach some of these milestones and I will also make sure to keep an eye out for people who can help your cause.
    Thanks for taking the time to fight for trails!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    A club sounds like a good idea to me. I'd be down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Bill Landvatter

Bill Landvatter is the Green Bay parks, recreation and forestry director. Who ever you speak to it will eventually get to his desk. Might as well start at the top

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    that is indeed where i started.
    bill passed me on to Dan to move forward from there

as of now i have gotten 1 response with a name and number to add to the list. i will be sending titletown flyers an email today about joining in the fun.

I was thinking of possibly trying to have a ride at bairds with all that are interested to try and establish a list then. as well as those that couldnt make it can send me an private message with info.

How would the weekend of 24/25 work either day weather permitting, to try to get everyone together for a ride and greet and meet?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Bairds Creek = longstanding issues

Hi Guys, Jonathan here...
    Hate to say it, but all of these issues being discussed on this thread have been in existance for at least 20 years, regarding mountain bikes, and closer to 40 years regarding other uses (that's older than I am). Trying to keep this short and tie everything together, there is a "Trail Develpment Committee" Chaired by Jim Robertson of the Green Bay City Parks Planning Dept. and Les Raduenz UWGB Arboretum Project Coordinator(retired?). Having spoken to Jim several times and emailed Les to introduce myself, they both are very interested in involving the mtb community on this project which has been "in the works" in one way or another, for at least 10 years. YES, it will be detrimental for local mtbrs to organize amongst ourselves, come to a consesus on what WE want, and focus on those goals...This has been disturblingly hard to do. So much so, I damn near called it quits altgother several years ago. Keep in mind, "Baird Creek cannot be all things to all people". I hope this seeming flood of "new" interest will be the difference. I will be at the Baird Creek Cleanup (along with J Shoe and pals) at which time I would be glad to discuss everything further. I hope to see you all there.
    See you on the trails.
    Thin Jon

=========
    detrimental?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Okay, wrong choice of words....how about "crucial"...better?

=========
    Sorry if I offended....just trying to understand your message, is all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    There do seem to be longstanding issues with Baird's Creek. I think it's really important that we help the non-profit organization as much as we can so that we can preserve one of the few local areas to bike if not improve the trails by combining efforts.

Homemade sketchy bridges that appear without permission are just giving mountain bikers a bad rep. While clearly bridges can be used to prevent erosion and they're just fun to ride, there has to be some approval process so that everyone can safely use them.

There is a Baird's Creek committee working on Trails in the Parkway and their current project is to create a comprehensive map of all the trails in the 500 acre area. After this map is constructed they can then work with the city to assess any impact or safety issues.

I know that Baird's Creek would warmly welcome your helping hands for trail maintenance and feedback. Maureen Meinhardt maintains an email list of volunteers for trail maintenance and has graciously answered any inquiries. Please email her your contact information to help -> [email protected].

Thanks all! Let's preserve our mountain biking areas so that we can continue to enjoy them!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Cleanup Details: 4/17/10

Mass email from BCPF:

Join over 100 volunteers for the 12th annual clean-up as part of Earth Week 2010 on Saturday, April 17 from 9 a.m. to noon at Triangle Hill (500 Beverly Road, just off Baird Creek Road) hosted by the Baird Creek Preservation Foundation (BCPF). This year marks the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, so bring your family and enjoy light refreshments courtesy of Kavarna starting at 8:30 am and enjoy the day! Bring gloves; garbage bags will be provided.

Baird Creek Preservation Foundation is a non-profit organization whose mission is to assist the City of Green Bay in acquiring land in the Baird Creek Parkway and to help enhance the Parkway’s value as an ecological, recreational, and educational resource for Northeastern Wisconsin. Our goal is to preserve a natural woodland in our Green Bay metropolitan area. Questions about the clean-up or about Baird Creek Preservation Foundation contact Maureen Meinhardt 920.328.3505 or [email protected]

For a full listing of Earth Week 2010 events please see attached or http://sites.google.com/site/greatergreenbayearthweek or contact Jodi Arndt ([email protected] or 920.437.0476) for more information. The Greater Green Bay Earth Week Coalition is made up of various conservation groups, neighborhood associations, businesses, government officials and citizens in the area that come together and bring attention to Earth Day on an annual basis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Great Opportunity

This is a great opportunity for you guys to proove your worth and show that you care as well as to introduce yourselves to the masses. Get your group of mtbr's organized now. Get some cheap t-shirts made with the name of your club on them and wear them to the clean-up so people know who you are. This will send a very positive message to park management, other user groups, and the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by j_shoe99
    Mass email from BCPF:

Join over 100 volunteers for the 12th annual clean-up as part of Earth Week 2010 on Saturday, April 17 from 9 a.m. to noon at Triangle Hill (500 Beverly Road, just off Baird Creek Road) hosted by the Baird Creek Preservation Foundation (BCPF). This year marks the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, so bring your family and enjoy light refreshments courtesy of Kavarna starting at 8:30 am and enjoy the day! Bring gloves; garbage bags will be provided.

Baird Creek Preservation Foundation is a non-profit organization whose mission is to assist the City of Green Bay in acquiring land in the Baird Creek Parkway and to help enhance the Parkway’s value as an ecological, recreational, and educational resource for Northeastern Wisconsin. Our goal is to preserve a natural woodland in our Green Bay metropolitan area. Questions about the clean-up or about Baird Creek Preservation Foundation contact Maureen Meinhardt 920.328.3505 or [email protected]

For a full listing of Earth Week 2010 events please see attached or http://sites.google.com/site/greatergreenbayearthweek or contact Jodi Arndt ([email protected] or 920.437.0476) for more information. The Greater Green Bay Earth Week Coalition is made up of various conservation groups, neighborhood associations, businesses, government officials and citizens in the area that come together and bring attention to Earth Day on an annual basis.

uhhhhhyea
    Alright, this sounds interesting. I'd definitely be interested in this club. I know of at least 2-3 other riders who can also possibly join the cause. Perhaps we can even set up a small website with info and news?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    UPDATE TO THE BAIRD CREEK BIKE CLUB

for those of you who sent an email or called maureen at the baird creek pres. society she called me yesterday and wants to set up a meeting with a handful of individuals to discuss all of the things,ideas,problems,work projects etc. we are able to do and help them with working hand in hand with the city and baird creek pres.society.

so i am wondering if this weekend on sunday would work for some of us to get together at bairds for a meet/greet, brainstorm, and bike ride. In order to have some sort of plan to take to the meeting she is going to setup!
    Thanks guys for being part of the solution here!!

This is part of the email i got from maureen.

Good morning;

You are receiving this email because you have expressed interest in
    improving the trails in Baird Creek. Thank you so much for your
    interest and willingness to help! I would like to start this process by
    asking you all to reply to me with your general availability (days of
    week and times of day when you are most able to meet). This meeting
    will be a planning meeting, not a "work day". I would like to include
    the City of Green Bay Parks and Rec on this meeting to make sure that we
    are compliant with their work procedures and processes, and to also
    ensure that we don't waste time working on a project area for which
    they have other plans.

If you are not interested in the planning process but would just like to
    help out "in the field", please let me know. But if you would like to
    be included in planning, reply to this email with general availability
    and I'll try to schedule something that fits our schedules as best as
    possible.

Several of you have said that you know of others that would like to help
    out. I welcome all ideas and input, but I think as we work through
    things we'll need to keep the core group to a manageable size. We can
    discuss at our meeting.

Thanks again for your interest,

-Maureen Meinhardt
    Executive Director, Baird Creek Preservation Foundation
    (920) 328-3505

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nice job guys. Sounds like you're moving in the right direction. Remember to be patient. Progress may be slow but it is just that progress, no matter what pace it occurs at.

mtbr member
    I am interested in helping out in the field for sure. I have school work this weekend, last week of my course so I cannot make it this weekend.

=========
    Huzzah!

Way to go Baird Riderz!

Post up how WORBA can Help and I'll get it presented. At the very least there are opportunities to qualify for grants to get your treasury funded.

You need a chapter name....like the Inglorious Bairderz! .........or something

mtbr member
    I'm down for Sunday. Post up a thread or add comment here on the specific time, and which lot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Again depending on work, I'd be happy to show up on Sunday. Ended up working 12 hours both Saturday, and Sunday last weekend. How did the clean-up go by the way?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I should be able to go on Sunday also but the weather don't look to promising!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    weather does not look good, expecting 1" of rain saturday into sunday morning......if it rains all day saturday may just have a meeting at bairds in afternoon and ditch the ride in mud.
    how does 4pm sunday sound we could meet in the low lot on west side of 43 where excavators are working on new path. bring your bike if you wanna ride!
    would like to get a list compiled of all interested, and all ideas to take to meeting with city/baird creek pres. society.
    ill be on the green niner.

mtbr member
    I should be able to make that. They were already hard at work this morning. Flat and no spare tubes killed the ride early today....FAIL

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    6 of us met today. exchanged numbers/emails.
    i did send all of you an email, if you did not get it i typed in your email addy wrong and please send me a PM as well.
    i will be in contact with pres.society, i will try to keep any new info on here for others that would like to be part of this as it moves forward.
    Gomez feel free to shoot me a PM with your phone number and id like to talk to you about some funding ideas once we get our feet off the ground..

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Did you guys get a chance to get out and ride afterwards or was it too wet? I REALLY wanted to make it but with all the hours I put in at work this week I had to play catch up around the house. I am thinking about going out tomorrow after work if it's not to muddy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    No ride. It was sprinkling pretty much the whole time we were there. I'd imagine it was pretty wet in spots.

=========
    How's it going with the new org up there at Baird's?

g

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Slow, with all the recent rain and busy schedules, it is an amazon... some trimming was done but the group as a whole will have to regroup again start of fall and cooler temps to get some trails established/marked and get moving forward,
    the preservation society we are partnering with had an eagle scout looking for projects and we gave them some possible ideas. all got shot down, so , its up to us and come fall it will get taken care of!!

uhhhhhyea
    Almost afraid to ask - anyone ridden at baird lately? Debating baird vs. stump farm after work, hardly been there at all this year...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I went for a very short ride today. It must have rained for about 10 minutes just before I got there. Trails were damp and would have been great to ride. Wet, but not stick to your tires and fling on your neck wet. But the overgrowth is still horrible and getting slapped in the face with millions of wet branches was enough for me to say screw it and turn around about a mile in. It also looked like plenty of people have been riding the trails through all of the rain we have gotten latly. Lots of spots that are really rutted up.
    I was on the east side of 43, so while I was there I figured I'd take a ride down by the main lot to see the progress of the paved trail they are still working on. It looks like they are putting in a four lane highway......

Members who have read this thread: 0