Bored of this area. Where would you move to and why?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,751

    Bored of this area. Where would you move to and why?

    I suddenly found myself in a position when i am able to move. No debt. I'm out of a house mortgage and renting. Currently downsizing...

    So as i daydream about my future living place i'd like to hear what other people think would be the ideal mountain town or city to live in.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    137
    Duluth, MN or Marquette, MI if you are okay with Winter. Awesome trails and communities in both. Great food and beer too.

  3. #3
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,751
    I was thinking along the lines of out of the Midwest. My short list includes Evergreen, CO, Any suburb north of Seattle as close to the Canadian border as possible, or Bend, Oregon. But there are a lot of places i haven't visited.

  4. #4
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,774
    Phoenix is nice. Great biking, diverse city but lots of traffic hassle.

    Asheville (or any mountain town)

    Colorado Springs
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

  5. #5
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,752
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    I was thinking along the lines of out of the Midwest. My short list includes Evergreen, CO, Any suburb north of Seattle as close to the Canadian border as possible, or Bend, Oregon. But there are a lot of places i haven't visited.
    I just moved to Wisconsin after living many years in Bend, Oregon.

    I say go to Bend! You'll absolutely love the riding there. There's nothing overly technical, but it's got tons of flow, flow, flow! And the weather and hiking and camping and skiing are great, too. Oh, and you'd be hard pressed to find a brewery in the Midwest that can compare to a Bend brewpub (20+ and counting).

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I just moved to Wisconsin after living many years in Bend, Oregon.

    I say go to Bend! You'll absolutely love the riding there. There's nothing overly technical, but it's got tons of flow, flow, flow! And the weather and hiking and camping and skiing are great, too. Oh, and you'd be hard pressed to find a brewery in the Midwest that can compare to a Bend brewpub (20+ and counting).
    Bend is great, but not if you want reasonable housing prices or a job to go along with your riding.

    I pick north of Seattle, personally. Honestly, the LA area and Phoenix have great mtn bike opportunities too. Tucson is awesome as well.

    If you're not dead set on the West, try eastern Tennessee (Chattanooga area), N. Georgia and N. Carolina.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    154
    Asheville/Brevard NC. Pisgah!

  8. #8
    Perpetual n00b
    Reputation: dgw2jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,775
    Just don't move to Utah. The riding gets old quick, you'll be sunburnt 6 month's out of the year, the traffic is unbearable (even in the middle of the desert), the singletrack is wide enough to drive a car on, the gangs are moving in and the turf wars have begun. Oh and let's not forget the coal rollers!

    I would second the Duluth recommendation mentioned above.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    84
    I moved from Wi to Phoenix in 2006.

    Both the road cycling and MTB riding are amazing out here. I ride year-round, mostly in morning during the summer months but my daughter started High School MTB racing last summer and we had three practices per week at 3 pm and we survived them.

    We live in far north Phoenix and can ride Mtb or Road bikes from our front door.

    The Real Estate taxes are much less expensive than Wis but the home prices can be higher depending on where you want to live (and where you're moving from in Wi).

    Your back yard is also something you'll see a lot more of in Phoenix. The mosquitoes are tiny here and not a factor compared to the Midwest and we have so many days you can grill out and enjoy the outdoors because the sun shines most days of the year.

    Traffic isn't an issue for me as I don't have to drive into the actual city for work and pick less busy times if I'm driving across town to MTB somewhere different.

    There are a lot of Ex-Wi people that I've met out here. 3 families on my street alone.

    Good Luck with whatever you choose to do.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by kf9yr View Post
    I moved from Wi to Phoenix in 2006.

    Both the road cycling and MTB riding are amazing out here. I ride year-round, mostly in morning during the summer months but my daughter started High School MTB racing last summer and we had three practices per week at 3 pm and we survived them.

    We live in far north Phoenix and can ride Mtb or Road bikes from our front door.

    The Real Estate taxes are much less expensive than Wis but the home prices can be higher depending on where you want to live (and where you're moving from in Wi).

    Your back yard is also something you'll see a lot more of in Phoenix. The mosquitoes are tiny here and not a factor compared to the Midwest and we have so many days you can grill out and enjoy the outdoors because the sun shines most days of the year.

    Traffic isn't an issue for me as I don't have to drive into the actual city for work and pick less busy times if I'm driving across town to MTB somewhere different.

    There are a lot of Ex-Wi people that I've met out here. 3 families on my street alone.

    Good Luck with whatever you choose to do.
    To each his own, I guess, but you couldn't pay me to live in Phoenix. I'm weird in that I like four seasons each year, despise traffic and sprawl.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    84
    It depends where you live in Phoenix.

    I live north of the 101. 5 minutes to either of my businesses and no traffic.

    I can be at the ski hill in Flagstaff in 2 hours. 5 hours to Newport Beach.

    I've skied and rode my Mtb in the desert on the same day.

    We either take the camper up north to get some cooler weather or get a hotel but Phoenix isn't for everyone.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    16
    I have a friend who recently moved from La Crosse, WI to Grand Junction, CO and has been in heaven. MTB riding is top-notch and the road riding has been reported to be pretty good as well.

  13. #13
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by skywarp View Post
    I have a friend who recently moved from La Crosse, WI to Grand Junction, CO and has been in heaven. MTB riding is top-notch and the road riding has been reported to be pretty good as well.
    I liked Grand Junction area riding A LOT! It was fun. But could never live on that side of the state. I like my tree cover!


    I'm going to check out Vancouver in a few weeks. I like it's close proximity to Squamish and Whistler.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sherwin24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    430
    I love the four seasons and different activities they provide here in WI. Have family in Salida and Denver CO, it's beautiful there, but not my cup of tea. We go stay in a town called Spruce Pine NC every couple years and with Pisgah right there, that is where we plan to retire. Asheville is a great town if you want more city and still have Pisgah!

    It seems I know a lot of people who have moved to CO and love it, but I couldn't choose it over Wi. PNW is a place I would like to visit and ride, but not live.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iceboxsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    752
    I mean there are a bazillion places to live in the world... As for me, I like getting off the beaten path. I'd move to Minnesota or Wisconsin in a heartbeat. I've heard only the best about Duluth and I'm considering grad school in Madison.

    I just moved from New England (where I grew up/live my first 25 years) to Charlotte, NC. Not a place I ever considered but the job was good. The riding rocks, I love bike commuting, beer is phenomenal, national whitewater center in town, and Pisgah is 2 hours away (beach is 3).

    Places I've traveled and loved/would live: Arizona (Flagstaff would be my top pick). Colorado (Durango here, but CO is where everyone and their grandmother wants to live). I loved Bend but I think Sisters would be a cooler option. I have friends who bought a place in Driggs, ID and it sounds like adventure central, I loved Boise when I visited. Idaho and Montana are tops on my lists for cool places. Alaska has been on my list for ages. Hell, I loved Hawaii when I went there and honestly didn't think I'd be impressed, great culture, riding, wilderness, ocean, climbing, etc. I can't not mention New England. The riding is some of the best around, there is skiing, whitewater, hiking, great cities/culture, great countryside, and the coast.

    Personally I'm an outdoor guy, I want as much as I can get, not just riding; climbing, backpacking, paddling, snow, etc.

    Like I said, I like getting to those out of the way places, to me its more of an adventure, you can find good recreation almost anywhere not just the big name places.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    34
    I moved from the suburbs of Minneapolis to Bellingham WA 2 years ago and think it would fit the bill. Year round riding if you can stand a little mud and rain. Galbraith is a great local spot to ride and the possibilities are pretty much endless on the weekend. North Shore, Squamish, and Whistler are all doable day trips. Pretty much any type of riding imaginable. You are also close to Mt. Baker if you like to snowboard or ski. You're right between Seattle and Vancouver for Concerts, night life, and sporting events if you need a city fix as well.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,832
    Quote Originally Posted by skywarp View Post
    I have a friend who recently moved from La Crosse, WI to Grand Junction, CO and has been in heaven. MTB riding is top-notch and the road riding has been reported to be pretty good as well.
    I grew up in WI. Have now been in Grand Junction for 20 years. Love WI but I'll take GJ any day. We have world class Mtn and road riding (Google colorado national monument) and we are within about 3 hours of about any awesome place you can think of..... Moab, Telluride, Crested Butte, Aspen, Vail, Durango....... I can be up riding in the trees in 45 minutes when the summer gets hot. Or just ride in the am/evening.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    I grew up in WI. Have now been in Grand Junction for 20 years. Love WI but I'll take GJ any day. We have world class Mtn and road riding (Google colorado national monument) and we are within about 3 hours of about any awesome place you can think of..... Moab, Telluride, Crested Butte, Aspen, Vail, Durango....... I can be up riding in the trees in 45 minutes when the summer gets hot. Or just ride in the am/evening.
    Yeah, he's told me about adventures of going to Fruita or even the local "Lunch Loops"

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Paladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    365

    Bend

    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    I was thinking along the lines of out of the Midwest. My short list includes Evergreen, CO, Any suburb north of Seattle as close to the Canadian border as possible, or Bend, Oregon. But there are a lot of places i haven't visited.
    Just got back from Bend. Do you like beer? If so, give Bend a hard look. I would pack up and move there tomorrow if I could. But I can't.
    Marc82Much
    Saint Louis, MO

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cairns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by skywarp View Post
    I have a friend who recently moved from La Crosse, WI to Grand Junction, CO and has been in heaven. MTB riding is top-notch and the road riding has been reported to be pretty good as well.
    Man... leaving La Crosse, WI?? Man it would be hard to leave not your father's root beer!!

    As for where to move.... check out Spearfish, SD!!
    A cairn is a man-made pile (or stack) of stones.
    Cairns are used as trail-markers in many parts of the world.:thumbsup:

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by skywarp View Post
    I have a friend who recently moved from La Crosse, WI to Grand Junction, CO and has been in heaven. MTB riding is top-notch and the road riding has been reported to be pretty good as well.
    Nothing wrong with the road riding out of LaCrosse. I lived in Pepin, WI for four years. It was heaven. I would go up into the bluff Hills for three or four hours and see s few trucks, a couple tractors, all on glass smooth roads to keep mild from churning.

    Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    15
    If you need trees, consider southern MO. Somewhat similar to WI, but a longer season (particularly if you can take heat) and more rocks. Cheap housing, too.

  23. #23
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    553
    .......................................

  24. #24
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    553
    Bellingham /thread

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    77
    Park City UT, Bend OR, Breckenridge, Fruita, Jackson Hole...The list goes on and on....

  26. #26
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by HotDishman View Post
    I moved from the suburbs of Minneapolis to Bellingham WA 2 years ago and think it would fit the bill. Year round riding if you can stand a little mud and rain. Galbraith is a great local spot to ride and the possibilities are pretty much endless on the weekend. North Shore, Squamish, and Whistler are all doable day trips. Pretty much any type of riding imaginable. You are also close to Mt. Baker if you like to snowboard or ski. You're right between Seattle and Vancouver for Concerts, night life, and sporting events if you need a city fix as well.


    This is the spot! Galbraith is done right! And some local showed me a loop in Chuckanut - WOW! This is my kind of riding for sure

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    77
    Disregard this reply. Posted in the wrong thread.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,832
    Jackson, WY? My buddy recently spent a bunch of time there and said the riding was amazing. And that's coming from someone who lives in GJ/Fruita.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    109
    Interesting no one mentioned New England...

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iceboxsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteRash View Post
    Interesting no one mentioned New England...
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post
    I mean there are a bazillion places to live in the world... As for me, I like getting off the beaten path. I'd move to Minnesota or Wisconsin in a heartbeat. I've heard only the best about Duluth and I'm considering grad school in Madison.

    I just moved from New England (where I grew up/live my first 25 years) to Charlotte, NC. Not a place I ever considered but the job was good. The riding rocks, I love bike commuting, beer is phenomenal, national whitewater center in town, and Pisgah is 2 hours away (beach is 3).

    Places I've traveled and loved/would live: Arizona (Flagstaff would be my top pick). Colorado (Durango here, but CO is where everyone and their grandmother wants to live). I loved Bend but I think Sisters would be a cooler option. I have friends who bought a place in Driggs, ID and it sounds like adventure central, I loved Boise when I visited. Idaho and Montana are tops on my lists for cool places. Alaska has been on my list for ages. Hell, I loved Hawaii when I went there and honestly didn't think I'd be impressed, great culture, riding, wilderness, ocean, climbing, etc. I can't not mention New England. The riding is some of the best around, there is skiing, whitewater, hiking, great cities/culture, great countryside, and the coast.

    Personally I'm an outdoor guy, I want as much as I can get, not just riding; climbing, backpacking, paddling, snow, etc.

    Like I said, I like getting to those out of the way places, to me its more of an adventure, you can find good recreation almost anywhere not just the big name places.
    Just saying...
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

Similar Threads

  1. Possible move to AZ, what area?
    By roc865 in forum Arizona
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-08-2013, 12:59 PM
  2. Trying to move to Asheville area
    By ryguy79 in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-16-2012, 06:00 AM
  3. Possible move, Bellevue area
    By big_slacker in forum Washington
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-29-2012, 10:32 AM
  4. OT: Possible Move to Charlotte Area...
    By veelz in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-10-2011, 12:09 PM
  5. OT: Possible Move to Atlanta Area...
    By veelz in forum Southeast/Midsouth - GA, TN, AL, FL, MS, LA, AR
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-07-2011, 01:13 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.