Border Battle Gear Ratio- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Border Battle Gear Ratio

Whats the best gear ratio for racing comp SS. Whats the course like, lots of climbing or flats??? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    To be honest, the more I fret over gear ratio the less I think it matters. One thing is for sure though. Gearing too high could lead to a miserable race. The second "Jeep Road" climb is steep w/ loose rocks at the top (more than the top of the main climb at CamRock). The start will be interesting for sure, as it's flat / slightly dh for a couple hundred yards then right into a climb. I just hope that geared riders / walkers yield to non geared riders, cause that could decide everything. I think there are 4 laps to sort things out though...

mtbr member
    2:1 last year was great on 26"

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by waterxracer585 View Post
    The second "Jeep Road" climb is steep w/ loose rocks at the top (more than the top of the main climb at CamRock). The start will be interesting for sure, as it's flat / slightly dh for a couple hundred yards then right into a climb.
    The WORS event page for the Border Battle said to check out Muddy Paws Racing for a handlebar view of this year's course. However, I can't seem to find any Muddy Paws Racing website. Does anyone have a link to the handlebar view of this year's Border Battle course?

Thanks.

BB

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The course has a bunch of changes to it from years past. There is a new trail builder in town and he has been helping with reroutes and cutting better back slopes. The word is that they added a 2nd Jeep road climb for Cat 2, Cat 1, and Pro's. They are also adding a field section at the base of the trails to add passing. The section of field added will most likely be a major downer since it is not existing trail, but rather a mowed section so it will suck energy like a false flat... There is a trail map posted on the WORS site (main page).

Always Learning
    The course has a bunch of changes to it from years past. There is a new trail builder in town and he has been helping with reroutes and cutting better back slopes. The word is that they added a 2nd Jeep road climb for Cat 2, Cat 1, and Pro's. They are also adding a field section at the base of the trails to add passing. The section of field added will most likely be a major downer since it is not existing trail, but rather a mowed section so it will suck energy like a false flat... There is a trail map posted on the WORS site (main page).
    Thanks. Might be worth a pre-ride lap on Saturday if I can make it up as I only raced there one time back in 2009 at the Border Battle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm not a WORS racer or SS rider, but I ride Whitetail now and then. From what I can tell on the WORS website maps for the Sport/Comp/Expert:
    - the "BS dowhill" is new trail. Most of the long straight downhill is gone.
    - the downhill portion just before the second Jeep trail is new of a few weeks ago.

Both have some downhill switchbacks that will cause issues for some riders. Last year I tried riding the jeep trail that comes second on the WORS race. It was very difficult due to large loose rocks and some washout. I'm not sure if its been improved for this year since its not a portion of the normal trail system. A friend of mine riding SS couldn't climb it either.

The new trail builder likes switchbacks. Its probably the right thing to do to build good trails that last on those hills. I'm not a fan of them.

I'd really suggest the pre-ride if you can.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You don't like switchbacks? Hum? So do you just like going straight?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    When you put it that way, ummm. Hmmm. Lets say I need to work on my confidence on downhill switchbacks. Specially the ones with the large drops to the outside if you overshoot it. Things with high penalty are not my favorite. I need to work on skills, but I bet these switchbacks will freak a good number of riders in the sport/citizen races this weekend.

UpSideDownBiker
    I don't know if he is really into switchbacks. Just building good trail that is fun and a challenge for everyone.
    The new second jeep trail is tougher and rocky. But isn't that why we ride off road, to be challenged. I like it even if I need to run the top section sometimes. Yes it is a bit "raw" but that is why WTR is fun.
    Ride Faster Because I Can't

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You don't like switchbacks? Hum? So do you just like going straight?
    There are other trail building options to traverse elevation changes than switchback.
    Climbing Turns and Insloped Turns for starters.....Just sayin

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    A wise trail builder once coined this phrase: "Building better riders one trail at a time". With that said the trails at the Border Battle were awesome! The new "BS Downhill" was the best section, with the section leading into the Wood Berm being the second best section (IMO). The only gripe I have about the whole thing (and this is minor) is that we should have raced the orignial number of laps stated in the WORS book. 3 Laps was just too short for Comp Class. Even the fastest time in Cat 1 / Pro was 1:32... At any rate, I'm still smiling and racing in my mind from this event. It was a blast.

Thanks to all that have helped pull it off.

UpSideDownBiker
    The funny thing is that the trail builder is a close personal friend of mine. He put in one switchback and it wasn't even used in the race. FYI, I also just got back from several days of riding in Bellingham and found that even the bike paths have switchbacks on them. Maybe some of the flat landers from this thread ought to give them some building tips out there. Just sayin' :-)
    Ride Faster Because I Can't

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by UpSideDownBiker View Post
    Maybe some of the flat landers from this thread ought to give them some building tips out there. Just sayin' :-)
    true talk