Blue Mound Work Day Saturday April 5th 8AM- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Blue Mound Work Day Saturday April 5th 8AM

Edit: Meet at the park garage. After entering the park, take the first two lefts, then go right.
    8AM to Noon.

The mud hole that was the trail above the campground (AKA the Home Stretch) will be soon be gone with some help from you! We are going to re-route the trail uphill toward the top of the mound and get it out of the water (mostly) that trickles out for months into the spring.

The bypass will total about 0.4 miles and will tie into the South Park trail. That's the end where we will start our work. The south face of the mound was still mostly under snow as of last weekend, so it will be wet on Saturday. Please bring your most waterproof footwear. It should not be excessively muddy because there is a lot of rock in the trail corridor. Go figure.

If anyone wants to go to the Grumpy Troll after work, I'll buy a round.

Walt

mtbr member
    i wont be able to help but i would like to, any best guestimate when everything will be dry enough to ride?

mtbr member

Last half of May

As of Saturday March 29th the south side of the mound was still about 2/3 snow covered.

The current round of re-routes are the start of a long-term project to move the trails at Blue Mound out of wet areas into drier ones, while keeping as much of the original trail as possible. I'd like to add 2 weeks to the spring biking season, and get the opening in line with other trails in the area.

There will be more work days.

Walt

mtbr member

Slight change of plans

The after work get together will be at the park, beer n' brats. Mmmm.

Walt

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Though I won't be at the work day, I just wanted to say thanks Walt for all of your hard work in organizing, maintaining, and building the great trails we have in Wisconsin!
    Bare Knuckle Brigade

Killing Dreams One At A Time

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm a new member here, but someone who enjoys mtn biking more and more (even at 48). I hope to rearrange my schedule and be able to get out there and help. If I can make it, can I bring any support equipment or tools? I will really try to swing this....I owe.

mtbr member

Yourself

Quote Originally Posted by hoodski
    I'm a new member here, but someone who enjoys mtn biking more and more (even at 48). I hope to rearrange my schedule and be able to get out there and help. If I can make it, can I bring any support equipment or tools? I will really try to swing this....I owe.
    You only need to bring yourself, boots, work gloves, and water. We just got a shipment of Rogue Hoes and McLeods courtesy of the Friends of Blue Mound State Park, so we're OK on tools. If you want to use your own stuff (non-power), that's OK too.

We would love to have you show up tomorrow, but there will be other work days coming up that I'll post here. I'm thinking of having a weekday evening work session or two this spring for folks who are busy on the weekends. would that work better for you?

For other news about Blue Mound and trails in Dane County see:

www.madcitydirt.org

Walt

mtbr member

You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by fanghasyou
    Though I won't be at the work day, I just wanted to say thanks Walt for all of your hard work in organizing, maintaining, and building the great trails we have in Wisconsin!
    I don't see it as a sacrifice. I enjoy being out in the woods. Thanks for the props. For those of you who count such things, Blue Mound will, if my plans stay on track, have 15-16 miles of singletrack total in another couple of years. We're at 11 miles currently.

We are very lucky to have a great mountain biking advocate in the Blue Mounds park manager, Karl Heil. If you like the trails say "Thank you" if you see him at the park, he's very approachable.

Capital Off Road Pathfinders (CORP) has been instrumental in developing most of the trails in this area, but we are about more than just trail work. We're putting a lot more emphasis into having fun rides and social events. Check us out at:

www.madcitydirt.org

Walt

mtbr member

Results

We had a good turnout with 13 people showing up. The Home Stretch bypass is about 50% complete.

There is still a lot of water draining out of the mound, even across the new trail. This is to be expected, there was a lot of snow on the mound only a week ago.

Beer and brats after work, mmm.

Walt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0