Blue Mound open?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Blue Mound open?

With all of this rain is Blue Mound still open? They don't have a trail status online and no one has answered the phone when I've called. I'd like to go out there in the morning, but I'd hate to drive 45 minutes to a closed trail.

mtbr member
    The Blue Mound mountain bike trails aren't not open, and will not open in the fore seeable future.

mtbr member
    Don't count on BM opening anytime soon, those trails never dry quickly. With all the rain we've had lately they're likely to be soupy for quite some time.

mtbr member
    And they're going to get hammered with rain again today.

mtbr member
    Was at BM today...still pretty muddy and slick....not the most favorable conditions for rocky terrain although some may love it. Overload was pretty dry....some rock bridges are washed out a bit from the recent rains...couldn't ride one of them. Prob will me slick for a few more days, unless it rains again of course.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Was there today as well. It's very slimy in most spots. Holy Schist was the worst, but all of the rocks are slimy and plenty of roots to slide on as well. Rideable, but you're gonna have to be careful.

mtbr member
    wizzells....maybe I saw you?

I was the lone girl in orange with a GF caliber

Sweep the leg!

Trails open, but is the pool?

I was out there last Saturday and it was open. The first ride around the north on Holy Shist was littered with branches and at least 8 fallen trees blocking the trail. I wish I hadn't gone off on the second ride 'cuz I sprained my ankle and didn't get in the more easterly trails.

I'm still trying to figure out what was up with the electricity being out at the pool. The kids were bummed and a little bored.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Rode Blue Mound yesterday and conditions were excellent on Over Lode and Holy Schist. The only wet spot was the South Park area, which I would bypass by riding through the campground back to the parking lot. Does anyone have a ride profile for the Over Lode loop? That's a lot of up and down in a short distance. It has a Kewaunee Winter Park feel to it for those that have ridden there.

mtbr member
    Heard they fixed the rock bridge over the stream...is that true? It was washed out when we went and we tried to fix it but it just wasn't happening.

mtbr member

Is this what you are looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by RedMosquito
    Rode Blue Mound yesterday and conditions were excellent on Over Lode and Holy Schist. The only wet spot was the South Park area, which I would bypass by riding through the campground back to the parking lot. Does anyone have a ride profile for the Over Lode loop? That's a lot of up and down in a short distance. It has a Kewaunee Winter Park feel to it for those that have ridden there.
    http://www.mtbguru.com/trip/show_static/327-new-bmsp

Distance (mi) 3.8
    Total Ascent (ft) 1118
    Total Descent (ft) -1227

mtbr member

Blue Mound conditions (Sept. 1st 2007)

"Heard they fixed the rock bridge over the stream...is that true? It was washed out when we went and we tried to fix it but it just wasn't happening."

I worked on it again. It is at least walkable, maybe rideable. Ride it, as always, at your own risk. We will hopefully get it fixed right next spring when we can usually get a few people to turn out for our work days.

" I was out there last Saturday and it was open. The first ride around the north on Holy Shist was littered with branches and at least 8 fallen trees blocking the trail. I wish I hadn't gone off on the second ride 'cuz I sprained my ankle and didn't get in the more easterly trails."

As of September 1st all of the larger dead fall was removed from the trails. Smaller stuff rains down continuously as in all wooded areas.

Sorry you got hurt.

We are always looking for ways to make the trails dry up faster, but they will remain wet longer at Blue Mound than at most of the area trails. The park manager has his hands full and does not always close the trails when he should. We appreciate your cooperation in staying off the trails when they are wet. The last I heard, the trail above the campground was still wet. Hope to get out for a ride there again soon. The shorter days are messing with my riding.

Walt Hougas (for Capitol Off Road Pathfinders)

Members who have read this thread: 0