Blue Mound- Mtbr.com

Thread: Blue Mound

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Blue Mound

My family and some friends spent our first camping trip out at the Mounds this weekend. It was GREAT! Beautiful weekend! Stumbled upon a 24hr race and watched some people burn up the singletrack. I wanted to say THANK YOU to those of you that put those trails together and help maintain it. I will definitely be there to volunteer time when available. The new stretch was awesome for my riding ability/level. Even spilt abit of my blood in negotiating it !

Thanks to all!

MTB-High!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Helibee
    My family and some friends spent our first camping trip out at the Mounds this weekend. It was GREAT! Beautiful weekend! Stumbled upon a 24hr race and watched some people burn up the singletrack. I wanted to say THANK YOU to those of you that put those trails together and help maintain it. I will definitely be there to volunteer time when available. The new stretch was awesome for my riding ability/level. Even spilt abit of my blood in negotiating it !

Thanks to all!

MTB-High!
    I'm glad you had a good time. The published work days are traditionally in the spring, and we may have some trail work time later in the fall. I suggest getting on the WORBA mail list (www.worba.org) which will announce work days and club meetings. There is plenty more to be done there and at other places in the area, so more help will mean more miles.

Thanks for the thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ditto for me

I was there as well on Sunday. Had a good ride. Trail had a nice grove in it from the all the traffic on Saturday. All the trails were in great condition. Nice and dry - those rocks can be pretty tricky when wet! I liked the improved signage as well, espcecially naming of all the obstacles. Lets me prepare for what's coming up.

I came prepared for Holy Schnist this time. New tires, bash ring. Did a lot better than previous efforts. I cleared all the main trail obstacles (and most of trailside stunts - dragon's back, chainbreaker, etc.) except Singletrack Drop. I could get up on it, but couldn't get over to the right enough for the descent. Chainbreaker was fun. I never thought I could do it, but I sized it up, went for it, and made it. That big climb gave me a challenge, but I made it cleanly except for having to brace myself on a tree at that tight two tree/root part.

Thanks for all those who cut these trails in and maintain them.

EPO
    Training in Mexico

Another Thanks!

Rode the trails a couple weeks ago, with my jaw on the ground. Thanks for the work. What Kind of rock is that at blue mounds, is seems like chert?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EPO
    Rode the trails a couple weeks ago, with my jaw on the ground. Thanks for the work. What Kind of rock is that at blue mounds, is seems like chert?
    It's all dolomite and limestone. There's actually a few caves in Blue Mounds. I used to be a tour guide at cave of the mounds, we knew there were caves in Blue Mounds but didn't know where since the park guys won't tell you. Watch out for for them, it'd be a nasty crash if you found one the hard way.