Bike recommendation for ST.Paul, MN area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Bike recommendation for ST.Paul, MN area

I'll be moving out to St. Paul for the summer and I'm trying to get an idea on the trails near the area. Any recommendations for a bike for the area? Hardtail 29er? Full suspension 26?

I've spent the past few years in Colorado/UT and have had trail/AM bikes. Any need for 5-6in of travel for this area or would more of an XC rig do the trick?

Thanks

mtbr member
    If you're only moving for the summer...what ever you already have will do just fine.

Unless you WANT to get another bike...then I'd say a hardtail 29er would compliment your stable very well.

MN/WI
    Keep what you got and buy a road bike.
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I agree with Nater, a hardtail 29er is the perfect rig for around here. Flat-ish rolly single track is what we've got!

The road riding here is terrible though, especially if you're living in the middle of the city. It's all just crowded bike paths and no hills. Rock the 29er!

MN/WI
    I beg to differ with the comment about road riding. Many nice roads with wide shoulders. Many hills along the Mississippi and the St. Croix. I could show you a way to get to Duluth (160+ miles) -- done that in one day. Having a SS 29er hard tail is nice (I have one). But why limit yourself to a single aspect of biking in the Twin Cities?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If there are hills along the Mississippi I'd love to see a Google map if you could make one of where some good spots are. As I can only road ride right now until the mountain bike trails open, I'm on my road bike a lot and would love some nice hills to climb!

I'm just used to riding in southern Wisconsin near my home town where there are endless huge bluffs with hundreds of vertical feet to climb.

Anything new I can discover in the Twin Cities would be great!

MN/WI
    The interesting part about some of my routes along the Mississippi is that parts are under water... I'll be doing some riding this weekend and will take my GPS along. What distance ride are you looking for and where would you start from?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I usually ride from just south of downtown and then head towards the river and down by Minnehaha Falls or over to the west around and north of the lakes. 20 miles is usually all I have time for.

mtbr member
    29er hardtail will be perfect.

You'll probably jump the boarder a few times to WI to race at Whitetail Ridge in River Falls, WI. ITs the best single track around

MN/WI

Route of Hills 001 for innovativeedge

Not exactly sure the best way to get this out to you, so let's try this:

http://bicycling.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/658088

It's about 52 miles with some hills. Started on Summit in St. Paul.

Enjoy...

Members who have read this thread: 0