Big Eau Pleine- Mtbr.com

Thread: Big Eau Pleine

clown question, bro

Big Eau Pleine

Is there still singletrack in the Big Eau Pleine park? I went out there yesterday trying to find it (it's referenced on fat tire guides although no review/map) but aside from some sections where you could tell there once existed some singletrack I couldn't find any.

Found plenty of horse poop though.

Was I just looking in the wrong place or are the trails there non-existant now?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
    Is there still singletrack in the Big Eau Pleine park? I went out there yesterday trying to find it (it's referenced on fat tire guides although no review/map) but aside from some sections where you could tell there once existed some singletrack I couldn't find any.

Found plenty of horse poop though.

Was I just looking in the wrong place or are the trails there non-existant now?
    Sorry this is late I just saw it. Anyways I talked to the dude who has done the trail building out there and he said due to the water level change he had to jump ship on the project.

clown question, bro
    Hmm... I ended up hearing that it was due to the guy that was doing the trailbuilding having a couple kids and not having time any longer.

Either way, quite a bummer as Eau Pleine is pretty beautiful. Especially a bummer if its due to the terrain not being suitable.

aka bOb
    Hmm... I ended up hearing that it was due to the guy that was doing the trailbuilding having a couple kids and not having time any longer.

Either way, quite a bummer as Eau Pleine is pretty beautiful. Especially a bummer if its due to the terrain not being suitable.
    That person still does most of the trail building/maintenance at 9 mile so those of us that use those trails owe him a big thanks. He is also the one who does all the work for the WORS race and the Wausau 24. He said it kind of sucked to work so hard on the trails to have the water rise and ruine half of the trails.

clown question, bro
    Yeah, I could see that being quite frustrating.

Amazing that one person does all that for Central WI biking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Amazing that one person does all that for Central WI biking.
    'Tis why we all must take a stake in the trails we ride. If everyone who rode volunteered just 1 workday (3-4 hours) per year there would be no issues building and maintaining the trails we all love.
    It is truly amazing how many trail systems are maintained by one person, or a couple of individuals. The downside is also that if one person can no longer do it, the trail system could be gone. That is not a good situation for the mountain bike community.
    Glad to hear that this was a just civil inquiry about the trails. It always bothers me when folks complain about conditions of trails, when in reality no one should complain as it is other riders who are the ones maintaining trails. We should not be able to complain if we are not doing anything about it ourselves.
    I know Trail Stewards who rarely ever ride themselves because they care about the trails so much they spend their free time maintaining trails while others get to spend their free time riding them.

=========
    I'm hatching a plan for a pugsley overnite winter camp up there once most of the park gets snowed under pretty well. They only marginally plow one road into the park, so it should be a perfect spot to ride some snowy doubletrack with some beach and frozen lake. Maybe build a quinzee (snow cave) If we have enough snow. I'm thinking maybe during the new years holiday.

fat-bike!

g

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I spent a weekend there in August with the parents. I was wondering what happened to the singletrack I had heard of... I figured the plan was scrapped for one reason or another. There is a lot of double track though, and some really nice campsites. I got a couple of rides in at Nine Mile - its a 20-minute or less drive from the campground.

Thanks to anyone that works on any trail anywhere. I cleared a lot of crap that fell from the recent wind at Greenbush Saturday - pretty much whatever I could move although there is a lot of downed trees that will need saws to clear. There were large sticks, logs, small trees, a large tree I was able to move off the trail enough to make it ride-able again... all sorts of it I stopped for. There were at least half a dozen other riders out there besides me, yet there was still junk all over the trail... I was just thinking to myself, "Am I the only one who stops to throw this stuff off the trail?" It probably took less than 20 seconds each time I stopped. I figure I'm gonna do another lap anyway I might as well get this stuff out of the way.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~ View Post
    I'm hatching a plan for a pugsley overnite winter camp up there once most of the park gets snowed under pretty well. They only marginally plow one road into the park, so it should be a perfect spot to ride some snowy doubletrack with some beach and frozen lake. Maybe build a quinzee (snow cave) If we have enough snow. I'm thinking maybe during the new years holiday.

fat-bike!

g
    Sounds great G I might be able to come up with a few riders as well. I was thinking about doing the same in the Underdown barring the rules allow it.

clown question, bro
    BUMPAGE!

So... first of all, I'd like to thank all of y'all that are putting in the work at Eau Pleine as the trails are becoming pretty nice out there (and the rock gardens are quite interesting).

Aside from the CWOCC facebook page (I rarely really go on facebook)is there a way to be contacted about trailwork? I'd like to help out.

Also, would anyone happen to have a map? The water bottle that was out there doesn't seem to be any longer and I lost my map copy.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    BUMPAGE!

So... first of all, I'd like to thank all of y'all that are putting in the work at Eau Pleine as the trails are becoming pretty nice out there (and the rock gardens are quite interesting).

Aside from the CWOCC facebook page (I rarely really go on facebook)is there a way to be contacted about trailwork? I'd like to help out.

Also, would anyone happen to have a map? The water bottle that was out there doesn't seem to be any longer and I lost my map copy.

Thanks!
    I think that Facebook is the main source of trailwork information. There are a couple of guys leading the charge down at BEP. PM me and I can send you their contact information. I also have the latest map in PDF and or jpg format that I can send you. Otherwise please join IMBA/CWOCC we would like to have you.