Best Wisconsin mtb and kayaking destination- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best Wisconsin mtb and kayaking destination

Wife and I are looking for a week of camping in Wisconsin.
    Looking for best camping spot for both biking and kayaking (touring, not whitewater)
    Lake or river are both acceptable.

Qualifiers
    -Waterfront spot availability is important.
    -Semi-seclusion would be nice.
    -Amenities are a plus but get trumped by above

I need skills
    Jul 2004

Copper Harbor

Michigan.
    Copper Harbor or Marquette Michigan would both have great sea kayaking and mt biking.

I got excited by this post. I am a whitewater kayaker. Years of low water inspired my friends and I to build the Nicolet Roche trail (something to do after the Spring snow melt). We even built the trail like a whitewater river, by including "playspots."

If it must be Wisconsin, you could raft the Peshtigo and Wolf river and Mt bike the Roche (or take a Whitewater class at the Bear Paw!). There are also many small lakes to paddle around Lakewood.

Also send an email to openleafexcursions.com they may have some options.

mtbr member
    That sounds cool.
    Wife and I are both Kayak noobs; recently started and love it.
    We've only been on Lake Michigan but I'd love to try whitewater. My wife? not so much

I went camping/biking to the Houghton area several years ago and had problems finding mtn bike trails. Ended up limited to the "official Mich Tech trails".
    Where would you recommend in Copper Harbor?

We're heading to Moab in October for the Land Rover National Rally (I build Land Rover offroad parts) and pictures of the kayaking in Canyonlands NP has us drooling.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

R88
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    A good way to get your wife interested in white water kayaking would be to take her to a clean safe class two or three rapids and swim in them. Get comfortable swimming in the rapids and the transition to kayaking is much easier. Start small and work your way up. I've done a lot of white water and I still don't like to kayak in water I don't feel comfortable swimming in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've been wanting to plan a similar trip and found Bear Paw. They support white water trips and have their own bike trails as well as being near the Roche-Nicollet trails. Might only be lacking waterfront camping, but you can see what else is in the area. The Eagle River area has no shortage of lakes. Check it out here: http://www.bearpawoutdoors.com/index.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Where to go

There is a great campground at Boulder Lake in the heart of it all. The lake is great for kayaking. It is spring fed crystal clear and only gets to about 11 feet deep at it's deepest while the shore is only a few feet deep. The Nicolet- Roche bike trail starts right on Campground Rd. and the Wolf River is right across the roads that get you into Boulder Lake. There are lots of lakes in the area and other streams as well. $15.00/night and they have warm/hot showers there. On your map look for Langlade take State Hwy 55 south to County W take a left one mile to Boulder Campground Rd. and when on that as you get to the rise of a second hill with the road turning to the right look to your left and there is the Nicolet-Roche Trailhead! The fly fishing is great here too.

N8G
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The Brule River up by Superior is nice for kayaking/canoing and there are a couple of campsites in the state forest campground right on the river. It is very nice to sit and watch people float by when not out doing stuff. The only thing I don't know about in that area is MTB trails as I haven't ever ridden up there. Anyone have insider knowledge?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The Brule wouldn't be too far from parts of the CAMBA system. LOTS of milage up there that I haven't seen since riding the Fat Tire Festival as a kid. We might be planning my trip for next summer right now....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

CAMBA proximity

I've connected a paddling trip to riding CAMBA also, but we've paddled a few times on the Namekagon (south of Hayward). It's a great, laid back river that's pretty undeveloped - though most of the sites are accessible only by river. They are all first-come, first-serve so it's pretty easy to be spontaneous and there are many to choose from. I've also found if you have a bike with you, you may be able to drop a car to do some shuttling for further river exploration - I've paddled all the way down onto the St. Croix but it gets pretty flat & wide open down there.

If you're hitting CAMBA, I would highly recommend the recently-completed Makwa Trail in the Hayward cluster - great, flowing singletrack to your heart's content, and you can always hop on the freeway of the Birkie Trail to head back to your starting point.

That whole area is pretty ideal terrain for both paddling and biking, have fun - Don

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Also

CAMBA area is fantastic for that as well and one can also camp and ride at Levis Trow Mounds and then hit the Black River for some good kayaking, especially now as it is high or head over to Arbutus lake for some casual lake kayaking.

mtbr member
    Might have to limit ourselves to a three day trip.
    Any recommendations for the lower half of the state?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar
    The lower Wisconsin River is not far from Blue Mound State Park for flatwater but big water and Blue Mound is one of my favorite places to ride.

The lower WI is 13000+ cfs right now and often 3 - 6000 cfs so remember that it is a lot of water even though you're not looking at rapids.

N8G
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar
    Mosquitos suck down here right now. Just got done playing a softball game in the middle of the city and got eaten alive with 4-5 coats of repellant on. Woods are worse. Have heard it isn't as bad up north/central WI so it may be worth driving a little farther even if you aren't staying as long.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Living within 8 miles of both the Brule River and the CAMBA trail system I can tell you it would be exactly what you're looking for. The Delta cluster of the CAMBA is only about 15 miles from Brule and the Brule River has stretches of the river that will appeal to all levels of kayaking skills. Just kayaked the Brule 10 days ago & it was perfect. You could camp at Moon Lake Park in between both (near Iron River) or at Big Bear Campgrounds which is at the trailhead of the Delta Cluster of the CAMBA.

Members who have read this thread: 0