Best trails near Lake Wisconsin (Poynette)?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Best trails near Lake Wisconsin (Poynette)?

A group of friends and I are renting a cabin on Lake Wisconsin (Poynette) the weekend of Oct 2nd. I was thinking about taking everyone up to Devil's Head for moutain biking but based on what I've read it may not be open or taken care of.

What do you guys recommend? A place where they rent out bikes is preferable too because not everyone in my group can bring there's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    From searching on here it sounds like Blue Mounds would be the place to go. Does anyone know if they rent bikes there?

mtbr member
    Nope, Blue Mound is a state park and doesn't have any bike facilities on site. For your best bet in renting a mountain bike, I'd go to Erik's West for Specialized demo/rental bikes. It's located on Whitney Way and Odana Rd in Madison.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    Nope, Blue Mound is a state park and doesn't have any bike facilities on site. For your best bet in renting a mountain bike, I'd go to Erik's West for Specialized demo/rental bikes. It's located on Whitney Way and Odana Rd in Madison.
    Yup to Erik's. Machinery Row Bicycles has had rentals (Fisher hard tails) in years past, but I don't know about this year. The Trek Store has also had demos for rental but they may be sold at this late point in the season. I suggesting calling ahead because my wife was renting this season and the right bike and size was not always available at the most convenient place.

Blue Mound is not exactly right by Poynette, but my favorite riding. It is rocky with climbing that people either like or hate. Even farther but with rentals is Kettle Moraine east of Whitewater. Blue Mound and S. Kettle Moraine State Forest are the places where you can ride for the most hours or miles.

www.madcitydirt.org will give you a digest of the trails around.

Have a fun trip!

Members who have read this thread: 0