Best of Minneapolis?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Best of Minneapolis?

Hey guys,

I'll be in the Minneapolis area for 4 days, soon. I've heard there are some great trail systems up there. Any suggestions on "must" places to ride would be appreciated.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Elm Creek, Lebanon, Murphy, Hillside < in that order

Check out morcmtb.org for more details and trail conditions.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Everyone likes something different, but the most popular trails in the metro are Elm Creek, Lebanon Hills, Murphy-Hanrehan, Theodore Wirth, and Carver Lake. Hillside is old school and very rugged. Some people love Hillside, others don't. Also depends on where you are staying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Having grown up in the TC but not riding there much in recent history, a ride at Elm Creek last year showed me how good the trails are in the area. Lots of fun. I will also through in the Minnesota River Bottoms trail more for a scenic ride than the terrain. This trail might not be around much longer, but it is a classic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Theodore Wirth is right downtown with four separate trails. All the trails are short but very fun to lap. Elm Creek is the longest and is mostly tight XC with some features. Hill Side is harder but erosion is a problem there. Lebanon Hills is my favorite trail with just enough tech. Murphy Hanrehan is another nice trail. Battle Creek is another nice one I hear but I've never ridden it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Great, thanks all. I'll be staying in St Louis Park area so I'll try to ride what I can based on all your suggestions.

Besides Surly, any good breweries that I shouldn't miss?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppman View Post
    Great, thanks all. I'll be staying in St Louis Park area so I'll try to ride what I can based on all your suggestions.

Besides Surly, any good breweries that I shouldn't miss?
    Fulton! The road is torn up by them but I think they are still open for business. They are really close to the baseball stadium downtown. Since you are staying in SLP, grab a brat and brew at New Bohemia.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm watching the weather for this week, and it looks like MN is going to get hit with some storms Tuesday and Thursday. How quickly do these trails dry out? I ask because my local trail can take days for it to open and be rideable after a decent storm.

(and thanks for that brewery recommendation voghan)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppman View Post
    I'm watching the weather for this week, and it looks like MN is going to get hit with some storms Tuesday and Thursday. How quickly do these trails dry out? I ask because my local trail can take days for it to open and be rideable after a decent storm.

(and thanks for that brewery recommendation voghan)
    Depends. It's really dry right now so maybe quick. The trail conditions page on the MORC site will keep you informed. If it is a big rain, give it a day. Otherwise maybe less. Just check the MORC site after a rain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There are a ton of breweries in the Twin Cities metro. St Louis Park has a pretty good one called Steel Toe Brewing. Should be nice and convenient for you. LTD Brewing in Hopkins should be close also. Minneapolis and St Paul are both loaded with breweries. NE Minneapolis has a great cluster of breweries in the same area. Surly also has many in the general area. You can also link up many with a train ride and some walking. Everyone likes something different, but some popular ones in NE are Fair State, Indeed, and Dangerous Man. In the Surly vicinity to the east are Bang, Urban Growler, and Lake Monster. Insight and Northgate are also close by. You won't have time to see them all.

MN/WI
    You can check the MORC web site for trail conditions. Trails may close due to weather.
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...