Baird Creek - who's building?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Baird Creek - who's building?

I thoroughly enjoy riding Baird Creek. It's a great little network that offers some of the most technical challenge I can find right near Green Bay. I was out there last night in the dark wetness, and while I realized my tire choice was miserable I still had a ton of fun.

I've been noticing all year, and more so recently that someone is doing trail work at Baird. There's been areas that have had leaves cleared, some new bridges and other construction, and I just found a great new trail being cut.

Who is doing this??

I would really like to get in touch with whomever is organizing and working this trail. I would like to offer my assistance in any future work taking place, and to ensure that our efforts are coordinated. A friend and I have been talking about doing some work on various different parts of this trail, but it would certainly make the most sense if we all worked together.

PS - that bridge is going to be really fun

Here's an old Baird pic to share

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I was actually going to make a post asking the same thing......
    Last weekend I found a new bridge just built stashed away in the woods.... Spotted it from the road along 43. I have noticed alot the last month or so.
    A fallen tree over the creek turned into a bridge/drop that I busted my seat (and my balls on), a short little skinny going over a log, and a another brige with a cool little curved turn on it are just a few things I have seen pop up recently.
    Where is the new trail being cut? Ill be heading out there tomorrow and Id like to check it out.
    I want to know who it is too because Id be willing to help out.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Heres the new bridge laying in the woods. I wonder where its going.......

mtbr member
    That new bridge laying in the picture you took has been moved and slightly reconstructed to the rooted and regularly overly wet section on along the creek on the south side east of 43. It is a logical place to have a built structure, but the current manifestation is less than ideal for the spot.

I spoke with some friends at the Bike Hub today, and a good discussion related to this trail building took place. Apparently there are several significant concerns with new trail being cut that I hadn't really considered yet. Being that this is a city parkway there technically shouldn't be any new building occurring on the property. Also, if new trail is being cut and is not done so in a way that supports the ecosystem of Baird Creek it will be quickly noticed and reported on by the many other users of the park. However, if anything new were very limited in scope and done in a way that did not encourage any erosion or detriment to the park I think we could contribute a positive addition to the trails without causing too much trouble for us riders among the community.

That said, I'm glad to hear more people are interested becoming involved with the trails here. Perhaps we could organize some work through this board and get some good work done just along the lines of general maintenance. I know that a lot could be done to reinforce several existing sections of trail, and the leaves are still covering a lot of area also.

The new trail that has been cut is very roughly hewn, but if you are on the top of the hill on the south side of the creek east of 43 there is a large field further in that terminates at a dense forest. There is a single sign there that says "New Trail". That sign has been up a few years now, but if you take that trail into the forest and take a sharp left at the first pumpkin you'll be on a fresh cut that looks pretty interesting. It doesn't look like it'll hold for long though However, there is a new bridge being constructed at the beginning that can be utilized as a connector between existing trails that I would really like to see finished. Looks awesome.

Finally, if you're out riding tomorrow I suggest hitting up Winter Park instead Me and at least one other friend are going to run a couple laps before playing a round of 27 at the disc golf park. Open invite to anyone as we always have fun and the more the merrier Ride starts approx 11:30, tee time 1pm.

uhhhhhyea
    I spoke with a few people from this organization a while back:

http://www.bairdcreek.org/

It sounded like they were in contact with some people about doing some trail work and perhaps talking about organizing some work days (there was a cleanup day back in July I believe).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Myself and Justin were riding today and were approached by a board member of the Baird Creed Org. He asked us to politely ask anyone we saw doing trail work to stop. He mentioned that the city has threatened to close the trails to bikers if it continues. He also said they were close to getting a federal grant for some work to minimize the soft areas and dig a retention pond. Also they are considering some trail work with the help of volunteers so we told him to come to this forum and chat. We rode by him in several areas and saw him talking to whoever he could find.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yeah the guy was very polite and very concerned about what is happening he also said that if it is closed to mountain biker's he said the fines if caught would be VERY PRICEY.

Justin

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I was out there today and there was a group of people carrying in material for a boardwalk. It is going to be in the rooty wet area as mentioned above where the newly built bridge was recently placed. They are going to be building tomorrow after the Packer game.
    Nobody said anything about stopping work to me and I stopped to chat with them for a quick minute. I actually asked if they knew who was building all the other stuff, and they didnt seemed concerned to me.... Maybe I ran into a different group?
    Last edited by scottvt; 11-21-2009 at 05:00 PM.

mtbr member
    The first rule about Trail Building Club is that there is no Trail Building Club

Garth Brooks & Dun Rulz!
    Jan 2009
    My friend and I stopped to talk to the group that was building out there today. They said they where boy scouts and got some kind of approval from the city to build but had nothing to do with the other new structures that have been miraculously appearing. We where planning on adding a bridge ourselves way on the east side just south of the rickety 20' long 6" log and 2x4 bridge below the steep hill, but knowing that they could cut us off from biking there will change our mind.

BTW - I road Bairds 3 - 4 times a week until it started getting dark at 5pm. Today had the most bikers I have seen there at one time all year. It sure was sweet to ride at the end of November and still wear shorts and a T-shirt!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I went back today and they were making some good progress on the boardwalk. There is one short section and one longer section. Looks likes it will be nice, but it will take away some of the fun challenging roots in that area, but also keep you out of the wet mucky slop that is always there as well.

The new trail that was cut on the hillside of the ravine is pretty sweet. I cant wait till the bridge is done. I hope it doesn't cause any trouble with the Baird Creek Org though. Who could we contact to get some more info on wether or not new trail building/work is actually allowed, or what we can and can't do. Could we get permission to do possible future work?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    That's the problem trail building is NOT allowed that's why there threatening to shut it down to biker's.

mtbr member
    Sounds like I might have done well had I been riding local on Saturday too. Still, it was fun to be out in Kewaunee instead. I'll check out that boardwalk tomorrow night.

Does anyone have contact information for the gentleman who was out talking to everyone about taking care of the trail?

Members who have read this thread: 0