Anything ridable in the NEW area around Turkey Day- Mtbr.com
    goo
    Mar 2006

Anything ridable in the NEW area around Turkey Day

I'm heading to the Green Bay area to visit the fam and check out a Packer game around Thanksgiving and was thinking about borrowing my brothers bike and trying to do a ride somewhere. I know the weather has been pretty mild lately and riding maybe good, but it is hunting season and I don't want to get shot.

I normally only rode the reforestation camp, but I believe that's closed for the year. I've ridden Baird once, but got a bit lost, mind you this was probably 6 years ago or so.

So is it worth while, I'd probably even be willing to drive a couple hours or so to check some of the stuff out a little farther south, I'll need a break from the rents anyways. Let me know or PM if anyone wants to show me around.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Ride Baird. I should be out there when I'm not buried in legos (thanksgiving break from school = lego party).

If you want to drive a little ways I recommend Nicolet Roche up near Langlade. Threads about it in here. Otherwise everything near here is closed with the exception of Winter Park at Kewaunee...I hope to ride there also, but there's many hunters near that area. Technically you can't hunt on the land where the trail is, but it's too close for comfort.

goo
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the info, I am going to try and ride Baird on Monday as long as the weather doesnt' get sketchy. I may head somewhere else later in the week if the forcast clears up.

If you see someone out there on a gray Gary Fisher Tajjahara, point me in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    do yerself a favour and go buy a long-sleeve tee-shirt in blaze orange. wear it over your riding clothes maybe a knit hat, too, as a helmey-cover. shouldn't be more than 8 bux total, and nobody will shoot you.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

I'd avoid the Roche

During the gun hunt I'd avoid the Roche. Just about every knob of land has a deer blind. There are several deer blinds within 20 feet of the trail.

If you must, wear a lot of orange, tell every hunter you see that you are either tracking a wounded deer, or doing a drive towards "the logging road."

A person could drive a pickup truck all over the Forest and no hunters would blink. But I bet a bicycle would greatly bother many hunters.

Be safe. Ride Urban.

mtbr member
    Good points. Ride Baird I'm heading there tonight for a wet nasty dark ride

goo
    Mar 2006
    Cool, I'll try and get there. I've only ridden there once and it was about 6 years ago, has anything changed, did they add any singage?

Oh yeah, I'm aware of the hunting, if an out of state liscence wasn't so much, I'd probably be doing that instead, either way I'm still gonna wear my bright orange rain coat.

mtbr member
    There's some minor signage for the trails west of I-43 along the "less fun" routes. Most of the good stuff is either south side of the creek on west side, or all over (still mostly south side) on the east of 43. No signage, and many new changes compared to six years ago. I recommend riding with someone who knows a few good loops.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ooo, I think I may head up there tomorrow. Haven't rode Baird yet this year :P

Members who have read this thread: 0