Anyone around Stevens Point?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Anyone around Stevens Point?

I'm moving from Sheboygan to the Stevens Point/Plover area at the end of October (2009). I don't know anyone there or any of the bike shops. Other than Standing Rock(s), which I only had time to drive to and look at, I don't know where the good riding is.

Hoping that someone in the area could tell me which bike shops in the area are good to deal with, and if there are any other trails in the area that are worth riding. I'm aware of the Green Circle trail, but don't really consider that mountain biking. Would be great for my 7-year-old, though.

I'd like to find some people to ride with, too. So, if you have any info on local group rides, or you're looking for a riding partner, let me know. I ride road bikes, too. I'm a single dad, so my time is limited to weekend rides unless you know a good kid-sitter.

Appreciate any responses.

-Joe

No longer 26
    From Stevens point, you are within an hour or so of Standing Rocks (and it does), 9 Mile in Wausau, Thunderdown in Merrill (have not been there yet) and Levis Trow near Neillsville which has an IMBA Epic route and has some of the best trails anywhere. Great places to ride...all of them.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by justanotherbikegeek
    I'm moving from Sheboygan to the Stevens Point/Plover area at the end of October (2009). I don't know anyone there or any of the bike shops. Other than Standing Rock(s), which I only had time to drive to and look at, I don't know where the good riding is.

Hoping that someone in the area could tell me which bike shops in the area are good to deal with, and if there are any other trails in the area that are worth riding. I'm aware of the Green Circle trail, but don't really consider that mountain biking. Would be great for my 7-year-old, though.

I'd like to find some people to ride with, too. So, if you have any info on local group rides, or you're looking for a riding partner, let me know. I ride road bikes, too. I'm a single dad, so my time is limited to weekend rides unless you know a good kid-sitter.

Appreciate any responses.

-Joe
    I live in the Point area. You should definitely check out Standing Rocks before it closes for the season. As mentioned before, Nine Mile and Levis are fairly close and are excellent. And there are singletrack trails off of the Green Circle Trail. PM me if you're interested in learning more about those.

The bike shops in town are Campus Cycle, right off the UWSP campus and The Hostel Shoppe.

aka bOb
    I am about done for the year but we are always looking for people to ride with, check back in the spring. Also I believe 9 mile is closed for the year.

=========
    Has anyone got some intel on singletrack at Big Eau Pleine County Park, Mosinee, Wisconsin?

g

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~
    Has anyone got some intel on singletrack at Big Eau Pleine County Park, Mosinee, Wisconsin?

g
    Went there in June. It was completely overgrown, to the point I couldn't tell where the trail was at points and I wondered if anyone else had ridden it by that point in the year.

A shame because there's a ton of room for singletrack there. I'm guessing the singletrack project has been abandoned.

If you're looking for some new singletrack in central Wisconsin, check out Hartman Creek by Waupaca. They've got maybe four miles built so far. It isn't technical at all, but it's very well built and you can really fly on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

standing rocks

I rode at Standing Rocks this past Saturday. I'm impressed. And it's only 9 miles from my house. Too bad it closes for the season on Nov. 16

mtbr member
    I still wouldn't complain at all if I only lived 9 miles from it! I drive over an hour to get there, and it's worth the trip every time. Put 715-824-3949 in your phone book. It's the number to call for the status of the trails. They close regularly if it's wet. Of course, the type of mud on most of the trail there is pretty miserable when it gets wet anyway, so just keep that in mind.

9-mile is almost always open, and great fun to ride. You've definitely improved over the local trails from Sheboygan

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hey, feel free to send me a PM. Like others have said Nine Mile and Standing Rocks are great. We have a regular crew that does group rides usually once a week at both places.

Right now a lot of stuff is closed unfortunately. There is some local home-grown singletrack available off the Green Circle trail though that never closes It gets a little rough with downed trees on occasion as it is sort of maintained by whomever feels like it but hey. It's 3 miles of trails when there's nothing else to be had

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Forgot about bike shops!

The small local shop is Campus Cycle right by UW-SP. They are small and friendly but so-so on quality. They don't typically deal in higher end stuff I think the focus on the student/family market. I've had two bad repair experiences with them so I tend not to go there unless I need a tube or something simple. One of the guys there is good but the rest...ehhh...

The Hostel Shoppe is in Plover - they are a Specialized/Giant shop. They are a higher end shop and have much better inventory of parts and stuff and are reasonably priced on repair but tend to be near MSRP on gear. The repair techs are super helpful and knowledgeable, they all bike like mad.

I ride Trek bikes and have built a great relationship with the Trek store of Wausau, the guys that work there are super friendly and the shop has good inventory. Prices are again near MSRP but that shop has gone way above and beyond for me and my friends that have bought bikes there.

So those are the shop details

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Omicron
    Hey, feel free to send me a PM. Like others have said Nine Mile and Standing Rocks are great. We have a regular crew that does group rides usually once a week at both places.

Right now a lot of stuff is closed unfortunately. There is some local home-grown singletrack available off the Green Circle trail though that never closes It gets a little rough with downed trees on occasion as it is sort of maintained by whomever feels like it but hey. It's 3 miles of trails when there's nothing else to be had
    Which reminds me, if I could get someone to help me out, I'd happily resurrect the Firehouse and Airport singletrack trails off the Green Circle. If you or anyone else is interested, PM me. Both of those trails are looking rough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JGalt
    Went there in June. It was completely overgrown, to the point I couldn't tell where the trail was at points and I wondered if anyone else had ridden it by that point in the year.

A shame because there's a ton of room for singletrack there. I'm guessing the singletrack project has been abandoned.

If you're looking for some new singletrack in central Wisconsin, check out Hartman Creek by Waupaca. They've got maybe four miles built so far. It isn't technical at all, but it's very well built and you can really fly on it.
    It is a shame. I worked hard to get a plan approved with the county parks department and in the end came out with a plan for 10-12 miles of single track in a 1400 acre park! Problem is that we are awefully spoiled in the Wausau area with 9-mile so close. People seemed uninterested in driving an extra 20-30 minutes for new trails to ride!! On top of that my personal life took on more responsibilies (kids....two daughters) so my time is growing thinner to get the hours in to make the trail work. I did sort of "abandon" the project last year because of lack of time and we really wanted to get a big project done in Nine Mile. However, the Nine Mile project from last year brought in a bunch of new faces (crew of 15 or so) so I'm aiming to get back to Big Eau Pleine this year. If I can get the same crew size we can cut A LOT of trail fast at Eau Pleine and could possibly have 5-6 miles ready by fall 2010 and then push for the rest in 2011.

Eau Pleine really will fit a nice nitch for us since 9-mile closes to biking by October 15th every year. Eau Pleine is a County Park so there will be NO trail fees and no set opening or closing dates (you just have to obey the 11 PM curfew unless your camping at the Park). There is also NO hunting in the park so yet another opportunity we don't have at 9-mile. I am keeping my fingers crossed for growing more local interest this spring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Man, I could even throw in for a day or two of trail building for some new single track in central WI.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Omicron
    Man, I could even throw in for a day or two of trail building for some new single track in central WI.
    Dude, like I said, if I can get someone to lend a hand, some singletrack in need of TLC can be revived.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    need to read better

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mblock
    It is a shame. I worked hard to get a plan approved with the county parks department and in the end came out with a plan for 10-12 miles of single track in a 1400 acre park! Problem is that we are awefully spoiled in the Wausau area with 9-mile so close. People seemed uninterested in driving an extra 20-30 minutes for new trails to ride!! On top of that my personal life took on more responsibilies (kids....two daughters) so my time is growing thinner to get the hours in to make the trail work. I did sort of "abandon" the project last year because of lack of time and we really wanted to get a big project done in Nine Mile. However, the Nine Mile project from last year brought in a bunch of new faces (crew of 15 or so) so I'm aiming to get back to Big Eau Pleine this year. If I can get the same crew size we can cut A LOT of trail fast at Eau Pleine and could possibly have 5-6 miles ready by fall 2010 and then push for the rest in 2011.

Eau Pleine really will fit a nice nitch for us since 9-mile closes to biking by October 15th every year. Eau Pleine is a County Park so there will be NO trail fees and no set opening or closing dates (you just have to obey the 11 PM curfew unless your camping at the Park). There is also NO hunting in the park so yet another opportunity we don't have at 9-mile. I am keeping my fingers crossed for growing more local interest this spring.
    Check your PMs.

Members who have read this thread: 0