are ANY trails going to be ridable today/tomorrow?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

are ANY trails going to be ridable today/tomorrow?

After all that rain, that is. I'm really itching to go for a ride, and this is the second week it poured right before my days off.
    FYI I live in kewaskum WI and wouldn't mind driving 2 hours if needed for a good, and ridable, trail.

Squishy Fishy
    Nov 2008
    Forget about Muir/Carlin. Eagle got destroyed last night by a tornado so I fear the worst for the trail. I would check out the northern kettles, Greenbush, New Fane.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That's where I usually ride. :P

We got a lot of rain right here, but I suppose the trails dry out fairly quickly. I don't know how they'll be today, though. Were there any injuries from the tornadoes?

Squishy Fishy
    Nov 2008
    sorry-- I need to read a little more closely. You live in kewauskum. Cruise on up to the Reforestation Camp a.k.a. stump farm. As far as injuries go, so far from the reports it doesnt look like any serious injuries, just some massive damage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Not really sure where that is... Does it have a website or something?

Squishy Fishy
    Nov 2008

uhhhhhyea
    Yep, reforestation aka stump farm should be good to go... that's one trail that actually gets better the day after a good rain. It's a bit outside the 2 hour radius however, I actually made the kewaskum -> GB drive about a month ago and I clocked in at about 2:30.

Really hope there's no major damage to the trails down there, I know there's been a lot of folks putting in lots of hard work on them, it'd suck to have that all wiped out!

uhhhhhyea
    Info + maps:here

3 bucks for a day trail pass, it's a county park so state passes are no good.

mtbr member
    Yeah, Greenbush will be a slip n' slide today.
    Don't take anything I say seriously.

I hate rock gardens
    (262) 594-6200 option 3

The recording sounded a day old however, stating that ONLY the Muir South loop was a sloppy mudhole. I imagine more of it is sloppy too.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

Roche

Ride the Nicolet Roche. While there check out the Bear paw trails.

not sure if copy and paste works for the link, else get directions to "Boulder Lake Campground, White Lake, WI." It should be close to a 2 hour drive from Kewaskum. I can get there from the super secret Slinger trail in 2 hours. If you go you'll ride a trail unlike any in WI.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kewask...ed=0CBQQ8gEwAA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson
    Ride the Nicolet Roche. While there check out the Bear paw trails.

not sure if copy and paste works for the link, else get directions to "Boulder Lake Campground, White Lake, WI." It should be close to a 2 hour drive from Kewaskum. I can get there from the super secret Slinger trail in 2 hours. If you go you'll ride a trail unlike any in WI.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kewask...ed=0CBQQ8gEwAA

I am quite interested in this "Boulder Lake trail" you refer to.

I am heading up to Shawano on Vacation in a few weeks and would like to ride some new-to-me trails while up there. Since this campground is only 25-30 miles from where I will be staying in Shawano, it seems like a great candidate.
    Do you have any more info regarding this place?

I need skills
    Jul 2004

Nicolet Roche

There is a Boulder Lake Trail within the campground, but I am referring to the Nicolet Roche trail, just outside the campground. Search this site for photos and video.

Not far from Shawano at all, North on 55 to WW. Turn right on WW, left on Campground Dr. A sign marks the trail in the middle of the first curve going North. Park where you can, or at Boulder Lake Boat landing.

Charlie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails are ANY trails going to be ridable today/tomorrow?-1.nicoletrochecjad.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson
    There is a Boulder Lake Trail within the campground, but I am referring to the Nicolet Roche trail, just outside the campground. Search this site for photos and video.

Not far from Shawano at all, North on 55 to WW. Turn right on WW, left on Campground Dr. A sign marks the trail in the middle of the first curve going North. Park where you can, or at Boulder Lake Boat landing.

Charlie

Ahhhh I was a bit mistaken by your initial post.

Thank you very much for the info Charlie. I will most certainly get out to the Roche trails while up in Shawano for the week. I have read and heard nothing but wonderful things about the Nicolet-Roche area trails, so I am quite excited to get out there! Any hints/tips/pointers for riding the area?

Also, is there any way I could get a hold of a higher resolution version of the map you provided? Thanks again for the help!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Cjohnson that's a very long way to go to find out the trail is either barely ridable or actually isn't that fun.

How good are the trails at "Boulder Lake Campground, White Lake, WI", and do you know for sure they'll be good to go? Like tomorrow maybe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Nicolet Roche

Nicolet Roche or simply the Roche Trail is one of the state's best and always worth doing. The rain does not put much of a damper on the riding there. The tires might pull up a little sand, but I've never experienced muck there. Usually when the sun pops out it starts to dry out pretty quickly. The beginning parts that go into the darker woods stay a little wetter, but the areas thru the tornado damage are sand and granite and they dry or soak in pretty well. For those that don't know the northern part of the state there is much to offer!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

And .....

Forget to mention how really awesome this trail is with no brake berms, jumps, log ramps, boulder ramps and for good tech skills a 50+ ft fallen tree skinny ride off of Big Daddy. Oh and did I mention the boulder rides dotted all the way to Bear Claw where there is a large(30?) series of boulder ramps and rolls including Moab that is the size of two vans put end to end with a small log bridge connection and a tricky right turn straight down dismount. Then one adds on the Scout Section Trail by going to Campsite which is in the middle of the Roche loop and found just to the right of Oconto River bridge on Van Alstine Rd. Ride north and cross Hwy 64 to get on the Northern Reach Trail and ride all the way to Eickhoff Rd. turn around go back to the loop and head east or to the left on Beesting and complete the tornado loop connection back into the beginning of the ride back to the vehicle parked on Campground Rd. How many total miles Charlie? 25? The main Roche is 12? Ya this is well worth traveling to and if possible camp or lodge and ride Bear Paw Trails, then add on both or when up at Eickhoff Rd. ride the hilly grueling two track up to the saddle at Perch Lake. Ya it's all worth riding and driving to it. You see up north here we have epic rides! Rides with mileage that do not get boring. All single track! Check out Underdown, Hatchery Creek/Makwa, Ojibwe, Rock Lake/Namakagon, 9-Mile, Anvil/Hidden Lakes, Nicolet North, Mud Lake, Raven Trail, Levis Trow ...it's all good and most of them worthy to travel.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the great info Steve!

cant wait to ride Roche!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anybody have any info on how the Crystal Ridge trails are? Pretty sure they were also hit by the tornado that went through Oakcreek. There a phone number or something I can call?

mtbr member
    Trail conditions are updated via twitter, or you can see them by going here...

http://metromountainbikers.ning.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Win!!!

Thanx, looks great!

Members who have read this thread: 0