Any issues on river trails in Milwaukee?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Any issues on river trails in Milwaukee?

Just wondering if anyone's ever had any safety issues with people along the river in Milwaukee...I go to UWM and rode the easier side of the river once and loved it, but I was with a bunch of people and not sure how safe it would be with just me and a friend.

mtbr member
    It's been about 2 years since I rode the river trails, but I used to go by myself. During the daytime, and early evenings, never had any problems, but I was also carrying a 3 and a half inch folding knife just in case. The crime has kinda gone up around UWM area, so riding with a friend probably isn't a bad idea. I should mention I am 6'2" and 200 lbs, so I might not be a robbers first choice. Ride safe and have fun

mtbr member
    While I hate pavement I sometimes cruise alone from the Third Ward up thru the various neighborhoods and anytime I'm "North of North" [in or around "the core"] my guard is up but...no...I've never had a problem. In general I wouldn't advise it for a lone female (not sexist, just common-sense IMO) nor those that lack the confidence and/or skills to either defend themselves or haul-a** if need be. There have been various reports of armed / strong-arm bike thefts in the area as recent as this year and of course, the number of felonious assaults and homicides are a matter of public record. Nothing guarantees your safety anywhere, anytime but...if I were standing anywhere in the area right now I wouldn't be freaking out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hey man I goto UWM too. This next year I'll be down there with my bike because I'm taking a half semester one credit off road biking class. If you ever want to ride with someone just PM me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Howdy, and welciome to the hood! I've ridden those trails for years with not one issue, but have heard stories. Never been able to have one confirmed however. There have been two times where I had that 'feeling' that something was up, but those were all around Bonzai, and the solution was easy, keep riding. Again, after 15 yrs of riding those trails, mostly solo, I have to say that virtually all my interactions have been positive, with most negative ones stemming from other users (errant riders with no courtesy or the NIMBY's from Cambridge Woods Association).
    Right now there are a two other things to consider. First issue is the flooding we just had. Lots of trees down, lots of debris on the trails, specifically on the east side. There needs to be some elbow grease put into the trail to bring her back up to snuff. Next is the whole movement of legitimizing the trail system. As it is, the trail is technically illegal to ride on, but since folks have been doing it since who knows when it is kinda looked over. You should definitely hook up with the MKE Metro MTBers to get more info on getting involved to help preserve the river corridor for multi use activities, keeping bikes on dirt and developers away.
    You are not what you own.

Members who have read this thread: 0