Announcing the Wausau24- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Announcing the Wausau24

It is official...the Wausau24 is planned for July 31st and August 1st in place of the cancelled Grannygear event. Check the press release from the WORS message board below.

PRESS RELEASE FOR March 20, 2010

March 20, 2010

Wausau24 will be held on July 31- August 1st, 2010 at Nine Mile Forest in Wausau Wisconsin.
    Muddy Paws Racing is working directly with the Marathon County Park department to use the Nine Mile Forest trails including lodge rental and all logistical support from the county for this race weekend.
    MPR is a Wisconsin event promotion group focused on “promoting dirt in the Midwest.”
    Full details including registration and event schedule will be available at Wausau24.com April 2nd, 2010. Updates are currently being posted to the facebook group “Wausau24 hour MTB race”. We invite the racing community to provide us with feedback to make this a fun and professional event. The goal in 2010 is to provide an excellent racing experience to all participants, make the entry structure competitive, and have everyone heading home with a smile and marking their calendars for the event in 2011.
    MPR is working with an excellent team of professionals to make this happen.
    Peak Timing, owned by Greg Blasko, is a well-known and respected timing company that has the contracts for such events as the Lifetime Tri, the Birkie, and the MNMBS series. We will use “chip timing” for all participants, the best for error free and accurate results throughout the event.
    Matt Block will be our course manager. Matt has worked with the Marathon County parks for years and has a great working relationship with county park management. He has set the course for the Trek Classic the past two years and again for the event to be held on Memorial weekend this year.
    TST Media will host and develop our race website wausau24.com, as well as handle all online registration. There will be no additional charges for processing online registration. Discounted rates will be available for early registration as well as a free chance to win a Trek Travel trip to anywhere in the lower 48 states for each entry prior to May 20th, 2010.
    Muddy Paws Racing will host the event and serve as race promoter for the Wausau24. MPR is owned by Adam Schmidt, a race promoter for over 15 years and based in Wisconsin. MPR is the promoter for the WORS Trek Classic held at Nine Mile Forest over Memorial weekend this year. MPR also hosts the WORS/MNMBS Border Battle, MNMBS Lifetime Avalanche, and MNMBS Wheelhouse Classic event.

The clock it ticking and MPR is up to the challenge. We are asking the racing community to speak up early and let us know what you want. After all, the event is here for the racers, so let’s make 2010 a great one.

Adam Schmidt
    MPR
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.wors.org/cgi-bin/forums/i...=20#entry40262

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just want to thank you for stepping up. I'm sure after the GG experience last year, I'm sure local and national racers are stoked about it as well!

Pin it!
    Best news I've heard in a while. Thanks to all that stepped up to the challenge. That timing system sounds great and the Trek Travel prize is a nice touch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Wausau24

Wausau24 Facebook Page
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...5586380&ref=nf

Online page coming soon!
    www.wausau24.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    But what about "Lie"ards POW WOW? Wheres he gonna hold that now? I have an idea......If he shows up, charge him and his entourage a SPECTATOR fee. LOL!!!!!!

holding back the darkness
    Whoo hoo! Vacation time approved, looks like I'll be coming home from CO for this!

Weird Eh
    Very Cool I bet it will have the grass roots smell again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Excellent. We'll be there with a four man team. Thanks a ton for doing this!

mtbr member
    We're just waiting for registration to open up. Thanks for all your efforts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sponsors are coming on board and registration is up and running. Visit www.wausau24.com to register. Keep in mind if you sign up by the May 25th cut off, each registrant will be thrown in the hat for a FREE Trek Travel trip to your choice in the lower 48 states. That trip is worth upto $3500.00 depending on where you want to ride!

If your not racing and want to volunteer there is also volunteer signup on the website.

mtbr member
    Nice! Glad I registeres early!

17.5" pistons of love
    Jun 2005

Very happy with the change!

Early last year we decided to make the trip up to WI for "Nine Mile". We were a little bummed when we figured out GG had taken it over. One of the main draws for us to make the 9 hour drive was all the good things we had heard about the past years. We still went last year and were blown away by the trails, competition, weather.....The GG involvement was so-so. When we heard that GG pulled out, it brought back the pain of GG canceling the 24 we had here in Missouri that he dropped at the last second and I could only imagine how pissed the locals in WI must have been. We WILL be there!

Thanks to all who are making it happen!
    The Domesticated SSer

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    bump

two weeks away

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Wausau24 Volunteers Needed

Well with less than a month away from the race we were all set for volunteers through a local ski team only to have them back out about 40 volunteers. I haven't heard a reason why but regardless we are in need of some help. If you are interested please visit http://www.wausau24.com/page/show/175789-volunteer for more information.

Thanks.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sorry to hear about the volunteers bailing out on you. I'm crossing my fingers for good weather. Long term outlook looks good at this point. How long will the laps be? Both mileage and estimated lap time? I'm doing 24-duo.

=========
    Yo Randy!

Link to the map - http://www.wausau24.com/page/show/178439-race-course
    I read somewhere the lap will be 11+ miles
    We'll be up there with a bunch of GF Family, so try to get a spot by us!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~
    Yo Randy!

Link to the map - http://www.wausau24.com/page/show/178439-race-course
    I read somewhere the lap will be 11+ miles
    We'll be up there with a bunch of GF Family, so try to get a spot by us!
    Right on! You guys ridin' or just hangin'? When are you coming up? I hope to be up around noon on Friday when they open the area. I got a new camper it's the little brother to yours. I'm doing duo with a teammate but a friend of mine is coming along to drink beer and hang out as well. Sara is working.

I saw the course map but didn't see anything about mileage. Trying to plan a strategy with my partner. I hope the course is better than the WORS layout as I didn't hear many good words after that race.

=========
    We're riding...Bethany is on a 4 girl 12 hour team and I'm on a six man (All Pugsley) 24 hour team. Joe and Blatz are getting there early on Friday to try and stake out some real estate for us...should be a blast!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sounds good. We'll see you there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST
    Sorry to hear about the volunteers bailing out on you. I'm crossing my fingers for good weather. Long term outlook looks good at this point. How long will the laps be? Both mileage and estimated lap time? I'm doing 24-duo.
    I'm hoping for good weather too. We have been getting a lot of rain lately, not as much as southern wisco recently, but a lot for us considering we've been in a 7 year drought. Most of next week looks to be mostly dry with just chances for rain so keep your fingers crossed.

Last few times I rode the course I came up with 11.35 miles. There may be some very subtle changes to the end of the lap depending on how much room we need for camping but the mileage won't get any longer than that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That sounds great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Do they have showers there?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac
    My understanding is they do have showers. I think by there description that it is a makeshift shower tent similar to what they set-up for Chequamegon. Something to wash the grime off at least.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac
    Yes showers will be available. Not a trailer setup like past events but more of an open air style. Enough to get you cleaned up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Course change

We had to make a change to the race course this past week. All of the recent heavy rains are starting to add up and take a toll on trail #14 (aka Flower Trail) which has now been closed to all riding until it can dry out some. It has been replaced by a longer gradual ski trail climb and I have added more single track elsewhere to make up for the omission of #14. I don't have an exact mileage of the new course but will be riding it tonight. It should be close to the previous design at 11 to 11.5 miles.

You can view the new course map here:
    http://www.wausauwheelers.org/easyfi...00728091728926

mtbr member
    Looks good mblock...I like the addition of trail #1! I've never seen that used in a race course before!

Can't wait for Saturday!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am not familiar with the numbered trail segments as it's been a while since I've ridden here. What is the ratio of singletrack to double track per lap?

mtbr member
    Forgive me if you already know this, but the red/numbered trails are singletrack and the green/lettered trails are doubletrack.

I'd estimate it's about 50/50.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    Forgive me if you already know this, but the red/numbered trails are singletrack and the green/lettered trails are doubletrack.

I'd estimate it's about 50/50.
    I was not aware of that. Thanks.

=========
    no flower trail -

Trail #1 rock garden should be interesting at 3 am

g

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    no flower trail -

g
    Well your riding or should I say driving a monster truck for a bike so you should be able to just roll right over everything!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks guys,I see you all out there!

mtbr member

g
    My thoughts exactly!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    no flower trail -

g
    Ahh....you'll be descending the rocky sections.....and on a Pugsley!? Just close your eyes and you'll be fine

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mblock
    Ahh....you'll be descending the rocky sections.....and on a Pugsley!? Just close your eyes and you'll be fine
    That's how he normally rides!!

=========
    with the style and grace of a water buffalo

mtbr member
    I will ride the trails tooooday! WAHOOOOO!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    with the style and grace of a water buffalo
    You looked pretty damn smoothe when I passed you sometime on Saturday. Didn't even phase you when I smacked that ass like a stubborn mule!

Witty McWitterson
    just wanna pop in here and tell the world how fantastic the event was. If you were holding out to hear reports on how terrible it was, you're going to be waiting for a while. The W24 was one of the best run events I've been too. Get on it and register for next year, eh?
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    I'll ditto ~martini's~ thoughts...excellent event. This is everything that the last year of 24-9 wasn't. Awesome organization, free beer and pizza (although I didn't have any), great course, lots of swag, on and on...

See you next year!

I just passed you

Hats off!

Wish I could have been there. Broken foot (owwee!)

As a race promoter myself, it's nice to hear great things about an event rather than the typical small, trivial aspects that folks get caught up in. MPR must have thought this event through, went back to basics and got it done. Another example of how mountain biking and mountain bikers as a whole are cool. Rarely do I come across a real tool on the trail. Hat's off to MPR and success in the future!

..and way to go jumping on the venue as fast as you did! That was sweet.
    Ride a decent line, won't ya!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Great event Adam, good job well done & I will come back next year, I'm done crying about
    the rocky parts and the bleeding has stoped.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    I'll ditto ~martini's~ thoughts...excellent event. This is everything that the last year of 24-9 wasn't. Awesome organization, free beer and pizza (although I didn't have any), great course, lots of swag, on and on...

See you next year!
    One more . The free beer and pizza were really good as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    April is Race Registration Month

This is the month to round up your team and get signed up. Early registration not only saves you money but it gives us forecasting for how many participants to plan for as well. We want to make sure everyone has enough food and water, other beverages and pizza, and everything else that goes into the event weekend. Go to the registration page by April 30th at midnight and welcome to another great year at Nine Mile.

Visit www.wausau24.com

joshua halvorson

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Still time to register for 2011!!

LAST CALL FOR PRE REGISTRATION FOR THE WAUSAU24.

DAY OF REGISTRATOIN WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR ALL EVENTS AND CATEGORIES ON JULY 29TH FROM 3PM-6PM AND JULY 30TH FROM 7:30AM-9:00AM.

Pre registration is open until Midnight July 15th, 2011. We have added categories and a 6 hour venue this season.

I would like to invite all to attend and enjoy this fun and competitive event on the Nine Mile Forest trails in Wausau Wisconsin.

Get signed up by the end of day on the 15th and receive FREE stuff.

custom W24 tshirt, custom W24 water bottle, access to the pizza and beverage party Saturday night, and more.

See you at the end of the month!

Adam Schmidt and crew of Muddy Paws Racing

www.wausau24.com

Members who have read this thread: 0