Afton Alps Downhill- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Afton Alps Downhill

If you guys would like to ride DH at Afton Alps, they need to know it. I talked with the GM there and he says their main concern is demand and whether or not it is worth the investment. The main thing they need is a 2 speed lift, which they do not currently have.

Please show your support by liking the Facebook page called "Afton Alps Needs Downhill Mountain Biking". the more likes, the more likely we will be to get this program running! I created the page, and have been encouraged to stay in touch with Afton management on the subject. Thanks all

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    That would be awesome! A two hour drive to a downhill park? Count me in.

mtbr member
    Liked.

What about Hyland? Its right in the metro, a city of 3 million people and the bicycle capital of the US. Wouldn't you think that they could have a highly profitable mountain bike operation in the summer?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I once asked the guys at Welch if they would open up for mountain biking. He mentioned insurance costs and the amount of good free trails in the metro area. Buck Hill has a course but they don't open for the public. Maybe someone has to gamble on DH to see if it will take off. We have such a large XC/Trail community I can't believe we wouldn't have some cross over to DH. Maybe they should sell it as an Enduro course.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Over the Hills View Post
    Liked.

What about Hyland? Its right in the metro, a city of 3 million people and the bicycle capital of the US. Wouldn't you think that they could have a highly profitable mountain bike operation in the summer?
    Hyland is part of the 3 rivers park district. They have a development threshhold (only 20% of a park can be developed) to keep things wild. Hyland Park is considered developed to sturation. While they could put trail on the existing ski area, there isn't the room to put in looping trails to the side. Thus it could end up a 4X or jump line feed, but those would need to be put right on the ski hill face. While possible, it has some difficulties.