9 mile opening soon...Maybe- Mtbr.com
    aka bOb

9 mile opening soon...Maybe

Check this out, might be opening April 10th!!! Yesssssss
    http://www.co.marathon.wi.us/infosub...dep=25&sid=197

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    That's swell that 9-Mile may open April 10.

However did anyone notice that the Marathon County Parks Department substantially increased the trails fees at 9-Mile?

Whreas in real life I am a bean counter the increase in the daily fee from $3 to $4 is a 25%increase. The annual fee increase from $20 to $30 is a 50% increase. You don't have to be mathematics maven such as Nels Bohr to figure out that is a big gyp.

How much extra are the hunters paying to use 9-Mile? By the way don't be surprised if the riding at 9-Mile doesn't start until 12:00 noon so as to give the turkey hunters time to do their thing.

Or are of the extra fees to chip in toward all of that "no increase in the deficit" Obama health care?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin' Bryan

However did anyone notice that the Marathon County Parks Department substantially increased the trails fees at 9-Mile?

Whreas in real life I am a bean counter the increase in the daily fee from $3 to $4 is a 25%increase. The annual fee increase from $20 to $30 is a 50% increase. You don't have to be mathematics maven such as Nels Bohr to figure out that is a big gyp.

How much extra are the hunters paying to use 9-Mile? By the way don't be surprised if the riding at 9-Mile doesn't start until 12:00 noon so as to give the turkey hunters time to do their thing.

Or are of the extra fees to chip in toward all of that "no increase in the deficit" Obama health care?

I'm sure either Communists or Terrorists are to blame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin' Bryan

Wow, complaining about a dollar increase per day? $4 per day is right on par with State Park bike trail pass fees. Yes $30 for an annual is a bigger jump but look at it this way. Your paying $30 for 5 and a half months of riding. That is only about $5.50 per month. So if your only going to ride at Nine Mile 5 times this year it probably isn't worth it. But my guess is if you have an annual pass your going to be riding out there more than once a month.

By the way, Nine Mile is run under it's own enterprise budgetary system. Meaning it doesn't fall under the County Parks Dept budget. It also means that all money that gets paid to Nine Mile stays in the Nine Mile budget and isn't used for any other county operation. Basically all trail pass fees (ski/bike/snowshoe), chalet rentals, events fees (bike races, xc-ski races, xc running races) stay at Nine Mile to help maintain Nine Mile.

There is decades old state statue that requires the activities of hunting, hiking, and berry picking be allowed on public forest lands. State lands follow this statute as well as most county owned public forests. So, no hunters don't pay a fee because the Parks/Forestry Dept cannot charge them.

Oh and before you go complaining about the turkey hunters. I'll remind you again that we get a 5 and a half month riding season......turkey hunters get only one week on their permit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    As a turkey hunter and a mountain biker, I can assure you that biking is a better deal.
    I just paid $30.25 for a 5 day turkey license (turkey hunting is always closed on Mondays and Tuesdays).
    As a hunter, do I need the woods to myself? No. There aren't many turkeys in the bike trail areas of Nine Mile. They stick to the less traveled parts of the woods. But that isn't to say that some inexperienced hunter could be set up near bike trails and will aim at anything that moves.
    There are always going to be user group battles over public land. The other side is always the bad guy. I think it is great that we have such a huge piece of public land that is managed on a local level and I hope we can all continue to share it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Copy-Pasted from Marathon County website:

Subject:
    Nine Mile Forest and Burma Forest Trails Will Open Early
    Bulletin:
    NEWS RELEASE

To: All News Media
    From: Ken Krueger, Operations Superintendent - Customer Service
    Subject: Nine Mile Forest and Burma Forest Trails Will Open Early
    Date: April 7, 2010

Ken Krueger, Operations Superintendent – Customer Service, has announced that the Mountain Bike and Horseback Riding Trails at the Nine Mile County Forest Recreation Area will open at Noon on Saturday, April 10, 2010. All trails in the forest will open at Noon daily until the close of the spring Turkey season on May 23, 2010.
    Trail passes are required for Mountain Biking. Daily passes are $4.00 and an annual pass is $25.00. Passes are available at the self-registration stations at the parking lots at Nine Mile or at the Park Office at 212 River Drive in Wausau.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by skifastchad
    Copy-Pasted from Marathon County website:

Subject:
    Nine Mile Forest and Burma Forest Trails Will Open Early
    Bulletin:
    NEWS RELEASE

To: All News Media
    From: Ken Krueger, Operations Superintendent - Customer Service
    Subject: Nine Mile Forest and Burma Forest Trails Will Open Early
    Date: April 7, 2010

Ken Krueger, Operations Superintendent Customer Service, has announced that the Mountain Bike and Horseback Riding Trails at the Nine Mile County Forest Recreation Area will open at Noon on Saturday, April 10, 2010. All trails in the forest will open at Noon daily until the close of the spring Turkey season on May 23, 2010.
    Trail passes are required for Mountain Biking. Daily passes are $4.00 and an annual pass is $25.00. Passes are available at the self-registration stations at the parking lots at Nine Mile or at the Park Office at 212 River Drive in Wausau.
    I was just in there to pick up my season pass.....which is only $25.00 not $30.00. They had a typo on the county website originally......

mtbr member
    Sweet.

Members who have read this thread: 0