9-mile, conditions/info?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

9-mile, conditions/info?

I've got the phone number for Standing Rocks stored in the phone, but is there any info source for trail status at 9-mile? Any reason to expect that it wouldn't be open tomorrow morning? It's supposed to be cold and wet and whatnot, but the first time I ever rode there it was 37* and raining so what the heck

mtbr member
    I dug up a marathon county number, 715-261-1550, for parks and rec. The person I spoke with did not seem confident at all in her response to my query, but I was able to gather that they're closed until noon for the gobbler grabbers. Only reason I knew to ask of that was that I think I saw that info on here before. If anyone has a better source of trail info for that park please post up

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Excellent conditions! Some wet from last rains and snow is suppose to move in Friday night. Wait a couple dry days and back to excellent! Remember have FUN!!!

mtbr member
    The world is conspiring to not let me ride there I'll be coming through town the morning of Sunday, May 23rd, but that turkey matter is holding me back. After that, I won't be riding 9-mile until sometime in June I guess. ARRRGH...

Thanks for the update though

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

9-mile

I have been riding many mornings regardless of the late turkey hunt and closure till noon. Have yet to see any hunters. Seems the officials here, who I have met on occasion and talked with, are stuck in the box and really like lots of rules. The best response I had once, which I've shared before, was closures were implemented to give the animals a rest! Ya I'm not lying I was told animals needed their rest too with all the human stuff going on. The official was put off a bit when I started cracking and then laughing and responding "your serious?", and yes he was. Any ways the late season hunt is over on the 21st of May, but you will see the turkeys, umm officials every once and a while.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O'Punc
    I have been riding many mornings regardless of the late turkey hunt and closure till noon. Have yet to see any hunters. Seems the officials here, who I have met on occasion and talked with, are stuck in the box and really like lots of rules. The best response I had once, which I've shared before, was closures were implemented to give the animals a rest! Ya I'm not lying I was told animals needed their rest too with all the human stuff going on. The official was put off a bit when I started cracking and then laughing and responding "your serious?", and yes he was. Any ways the late season hunt is over on the 21st of May, but you will see the turkeys, umm officials every once and a while.
    So within the first week of the early opening of Nine Mile this year there were several hunter complaints coming in to the Park Dept about people riding before noon. Maybe you were one of them. Thanks a lot, Steve, for making us all look irresponsible. We were very lucky the Park Dept. thought "out of the box" this season and opened the trails a month early. I'm sure if there are enough complaints of riders not obeying the rules the Park Dept may reconsider opening early in the future.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

I apologize

I will stop my recklessness. Please forgive me, I will obey, and only ride after noon until official day long opening. Very good point about early opening. I have a problem with compulsive rule breaking. Bad behavior is nothing to brag about especially when seeing it quoted. Thanks for the kick in the ass!
    Last edited by Steve O'Punc; 05-06-2010 at 10:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Wa-wa-wa I'm tired of hearing how the poor, poor turkey hunters are getting abused by the cost of their license and the short season they have to hunt. It's the mountain bikers and skiers who do all of the heavy lifting at 9-Mile and hence we should get our fair share of the trail time. By the way, good luck chewing on one of those tough, stringy bastards anyway.

I like to think of Steve-O-Punc's riding as a form of social protest. It's akin to the civil rights movement of the 1960's. Mblock if I take your argument to it's logical conclusion, anytime a group is disenfranchised, then they are supposed to suck it up and accept the status quo.

Mountain bikers are getting denied access to far too many places. To heck with IMBA and its touchy-feely relationship to the Sierra Club, and company.

As the song says, "You have to fight for your right to PARTY!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin' Bryan
    Wa-wa-wa I'm tired of hearing how the poor, poor turkey hunters are getting abused by the cost of their license and the short season they have to hunt. It's the mountain bikers and skiers who do all of the heavy lifting at 9-Mile and hence we should get our fair share of the trail time. By the way, good luck chewing on one of those tough, stringy bastards anyway.

I like to think of Steve-O-Punc's riding as a form of social protest. It's akin to the civil rights movement of the 1960's. Mblock if I take your argument to it's logical conclusion, anytime a group is disenfranchised, then they are supposed to suck it up and accept the status quo.

Mountain bikers are getting denied access to far too many places. To heck with IMBA and its touchy-feely relationship to the Sierra Club, and company.

As the song says, "You have to fight for your right to PARTY!"
    This should be a lot of comfort to you after the next Parks meeting when the turkey hunters show up en mass protesting mountain biking as ruining their sport and Parks makes the decision to not open until the turkey season is done. Or maybe they will just close off areas of the park to mountain biking. Not constructive.

If you want to change the way the rules are, get involved and make the changes. Usually this involves getting to know the people who are the political decision makers and attending boring meetings. Explain to them why the current rules need to be changed and the positive reasons for the change. But if we don't do it, the other side will. Change can happen. Some examples: Horses are no longer allowed at Levis. This could have went the opposite way but mountain bikers got together with hikers, snowshoers and other groups and made their case. Many areas are no longer restricted by being closed six months of the year. When we get involved we can make positive changes. CORP in Madison is getting many new areas opened to them because they are proactive. Before CORP there was not one legal place to ride in Dane County. Mountain bikes had been banned from all county and state parks. Now we have many options to choose from and more coming. Pissing people off will get the sport nowhere. Get involved in a constructive way.

mtbr member
    Okay, 'nuff ranting about turkeys! I'll be out there at noon this Sunday. The bike gods decided that my steed would die, but I'll have a borrowed steed to tear around on the good earth. Looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Any ways the late season hunt is over on the 21st of May.
    Season 6 is the 19th thru the 23rd. There are 6 turkey seasons. They run every Wednesday thru Sunday from April 14th thru May 23rd. You wont ever find a legal turkey hunter in the woods on a Monday or Tuesday, but rules are rules. I'll trade early season riding for a noon rule any day.

Want to ride in the morning with no hunters? 20 minutes down the road from Ninemile is Big Eau Pleine park and a new 3.2 miles of singletrack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Stand and Deliver

Ya Lock just getting on to correct my evil error. Turkey season runs thru the 23rd not the 21st, but on the nice side I also stand corrected on conditions when wet. They are excellent! Went out yesterday while it was raining and kicked out 25 miles of glorious riding. I've noticed before how the water soaks in, but really amazed that even on the section of horse trail the the ground is firm. There is no mud anywhere, just hard firm granite sand and rock. Spooked two deer and caught a bear rampaging in the thicket off #12. In all the times I've ridden there and I ride there a lot I have yet to see or hear a turkey. I see all other critters; deer, bear, squirrels, grouse, fox, even a pine marten and greater grey owl. For my penitence I spent the entire journey clearing the trails. Even got the two widow makers off of #3. They are cutting, but are courteous to riders and the young guy was even out of his machine clearing the trail by foot and hand and asked how the trail was where I came from. I thought that was cool and informed him the I was clearing also and he said he was concerned about damage to and branches on the trails. Nice! Now as for rules? What a drag that our state is so encumbered with them and the uninformed ignorance that seems mandated. I have been told that all trail building has been done by volunteers including materials, so then where does my 25 dollars go? To improve other users benefits? As much as I would like to get involved I am presently battling for a trail system in Taylor County. : We are in a tussle with atv'ers wanting to take over our rails to trails and no one here knows what singletrack is and why we want it. In fact our officials have no idea or knowledge about 9 mile, Levis-Trow, or Underdown or any activity of the human powered type that's why obesity and ill health runs rampant here. Anyways I did not mean to piss a bunch of typicals off, I just believe if we don't get snow why shut the trails down? We are out to have fun, so can't we all just get along?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Fees and Volunteers....

What a drag that our state is so encumbered with them and the uninformed ignorance that seems mandated. I have been told that all trail building has been done by volunteers including materials, so then where does my 25 dollars go? To improve other users benefits?

Anyways I did not mean to piss a bunch of typicals off, I just believe if we don't get snow why shut the trails down? We are out to have fun, so can't we all just get along?
    Steve first off thanks for putting some time in to clean up the trails.

To answer your question about your $25 trail fee. Nine Mile runs on it's own budget completely separate from the County Parks, Rec & Forestry budget. What that means is that all of the money that is paid to functions at Nine Mile stays in the budget to operate just Nine Mile. So all bike, ski, snowshoe passes, chalet rentals for events (races, weddings, family reunions...etc.), revenue from bike, XC-ski, XC running races etc. all go into Nine Mile budget to help maintain the facilities out there

As for the volunteer word, I have been leading the volunteer trail building/maintanence efforts for over 8 years now under the banner of the Wausau Wheelers bike club (http://www.wausauwheelers.org/index.php?topic=trailcrew). While the club supplies the volunteer manpower to build and maintain the single track the County Park Dept has supplied us with materials (lumber, gravel...etc), trail specific tools and the use of their ATV and Toro Workman machines, weed eaters and all the gas that goes into them. All of this cost of course comes from Nine Miles budget.

Over the years we have built a good relationship with the land managers and they have been open to new trail construction an maintenance projects in certain cases. I understand most people have issues with government organizations but I don't envy the Marathon County Park & Forestry Dept's position when it comes to Nine Mile. Being so close to an urban center Nine Mile has become a hot bed for all kinds of user groups. It falls on the Park Dept shoulders to try and keep all of those users happy and believe me when I say there are a lot of complainers out there in all user groups. What that means is some users have to make concessions to keep other groups happy which is why we have a finite riding season. Yep....it sucks that the trails close by Oct 15th and I have beaten that dead horse with the County a long time ago with no success. But if that is what it takes to ensure I can have good riding the other 5 months prior then so be it.

We all want more trails and more places to ride and I approached the Park & Forestry Dept about that a few years ago. We discussed other County Forest units but none of them had existing trail facilities and all other County "Forests" would fall under the same rules (opening/closing dates and possibly trail fees) as Nine Mile (which is a County "Forest" and not a Park). That is when the Park Dept offered up Big Eau Pleine County Park as an option. At 1400 acres it is a big chunk of land that already has 9.5 miles of double track. Being a County Park there is NO hunting and there will be NO trail fees. It also gives us the option to ride late into the fall and possibly early winter. I put together a proposal map to build upwards of 12 miles of single track and the Park Dept gave us the green light. Only a little over 3 miles is complete but I hope to have 5-6 miles done by this fall.

=========
    Thanks for building and maintaining such fun trails up there Matt!

My wife and I, both, really love riding nine mile!

even though we only get up there a couple times a year....

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

g

Members who have read this thread: 0