2015 WI Spring Trail Conditions- Mtbr.com
    Bike Now, Beer Later

2015 WI Spring Trail Conditions

I'm really itchin to get some dirt under my tires. Anyone know if anything is open yet? Or even close to open?

Most of the snow is gone here in La Crosse. Some small piles in the woods on north facing slopes. Wish the 60 degree weather would stick around, but it is still WI in March.
    I am certainly uncertain, at least I'm pretty sure I am.

mtbr member
    It's more than likely all wooded singletrack trails are closed for spring thaw. Probably give it a few more weeks.

As a reference all MORC trails are closed:

MORC Trail Conditions

mtbr member
    May 2012
    a co-worker of mine was at levis mound last weekend doing trailwork and said that the front mound is really close to being good to go, be awhile before the lower stuff is in good enough shape to ride. It's getting close!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources

I have each trail system bookmarked.

OMZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Maybe Rock Cut State Park down in Rockford, Il?

mtbr member
    Rock Cut is still closed till March 30th, was just up road riding there last weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good or well maintained condition reports for Dane County area places are on CORP IMBA chapter home page.

Home Page - madcitydirt.com

Several were doing trail work in recent days and today's weather probably slows things down.

I received comments on helping while at two sites. The public's welcome to help but we can't just give the tools and keys to anyone. I suggest getting involved with the spring work schedule. Then volunteers can get the clearance and OK required either by the land manager or club when it comes to tools use.

The party this week (Saturday 3/28 Machinery Row) will be vital for trail progress. That fundraising and getting more involved accelerated all that got done last season. Now we have more opportunity than ever so your help will make all the difference.

Please respect the closure for weather and conditions all over, and do a nice job of teaching newcomers. It's a real bummer when one or a few people wreck it or cause grief for all.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Levis Mound opens tomorrow, probably be a zoo as it seems it's the only game in town so to speak. Weather looks nice too!

Bike Now, Beer Later
    I work the weekend. Probably hit Levis Monday. Should be less traffic out there. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Some of the trails at Southern Kettle Moraine are opening today!

"JOHN MUIR/EMMA CARLIN TRAILS WILL OPEN AT NOON TODAY!

The southern sections of White, Green, Orange and Blue will remain closed. Purple (Rainy Dew) to Connector and Emma Carlin will be excellent!"

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Levis is in awesome shape. Rode it Wednesday, not even any mud

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnboi View Post
    I was there on Saturday/opening day and it was great then. Still some snow left on the north facing sides of the mounds but mostly dry everywhere else. Lots of fun and never seen so many people there. Thankfully we got there early before the crowd showed up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    We were there Tuesday and Snodgrass was a little soft but rideable. Everything else was perfect, even the sandy corners and sandtraps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    We were there Tuesday and Snodgrass was a little soft but rideable. Everything else was perfect, even the sandy corners and sandtraps.
    I try to stay off snodgrass and yellow jacket till it really warms up, they always seem to have a little mud no matter what time of year it is.

Still can't believe the shape those trails are in considering there is still frost in the ground in some places.

headed end back out there today, should be nice

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I try to stay off snodgrass and yellow jacket till it really warms up, they always seem to have a little mud no matter what time of year it is.

Still can't believe the shape those trails are in considering there is still frost in the ground in some places.

headed end back out there today, should be nice
    I can't speak for Snodgrass but on Saturday afternoon yellow jacket and swampcut were just barely spongy in a few spots, everything we rode was in superb shape!

mtbr member
    Alpine Valley is open now too!

From their Facebook page:

"Trail opens today!!!! April 3!!!! Once again, the first 50 yards will be wet and muddy, and last 200 yards along bottom of hill will be wet!!!! Please stay on south side of creek, THAT MEANS THE SIDE WITH THE CHAIR LIFTS AND HILL, NOT HOTEL SIDE. There is still snow along the bottom but it is solid enough to ride on. We know it's not a perfect scenario but it's worth it to ride single track this early in the year. Cheers!"
    2019 Trek Stache 5
    2013 Trek Marlin - For Sale

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsinite762 View Post
    Alpine Valley is open now too!

From their Facebook page:

"Trail opens today!!!! April 3!!!! Once again, the first 50 yards will be wet and muddy, and last 200 yards along bottom of hill will be wet!!!! Please stay on south side of creek, THAT MEANS THE SIDE WITH THE CHAIR LIFTS AND HILL, NOT HOTEL SIDE. There is still snow along the bottom but it is solid enough to ride on. We know it's not a perfect scenario but it's worth it to ride single track this early in the year. Cheers!"
    Yeah, I saw that, and headed up there Saturday morning (it's about a 1hr 20 min drive for me) and the yellow gate at the main entrance was closed! This was around 10:30am saturday, so not an "off" time or anything. I was a little irritated, given the drive and the fact that they had posted it was open two days before (and the weather was good). Luckily, I called the kettle hotline and most of the Southern Kettle was open that day (to my surprise) so I just drove another 15 min to get there. Would of been pissed if I made that drive without getting a ride in.

What's up with not having the gate open? I'm not aware of any other entrances to Alpine except that main entrance under the "A-Frame" structure. They shouldn't post on their FB page that they are open when they really aren't.

mtbr member
    Minooka opened this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppman View Post
    Yeah, I saw that, and headed up there Saturday morning (it's about a 1hr 20 min drive for me) and the yellow gate at the main entrance was closed! This was around 10:30am saturday, so not an "off" time or anything. I was a little irritated, given the drive and the fact that they had posted it was open two days before (and the weather was good). Luckily, I called the kettle hotline and most of the Southern Kettle was open that day (to my surprise) so I just drove another 15 min to get there. Would of been pissed if I made that drive without getting a ride in.

What's up with not having the gate open? I'm not aware of any other entrances to Alpine except that main entrance under the "A-Frame" structure. They shouldn't post on their FB page that they are open when they really aren't.
    What the heck that sucks, good thing the kettles were open. I'll hopefully be going to John Muir tomorrow morning.
    2019 Trek Stache 5
    2013 Trek Marlin - For Sale

OMZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    H

Could you have just parked away from the resort and pedaled in?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OMZ View Post
    H

Could you have just parked away from the resort and pedaled in?
    Well I guess I could of, there doesn't seem to be much in terms of parking though... those are all county roads with not much of a shoulder. Also, with Alpine being private land, I would of felt a little weird ducking a gate to get in.

Oh well. Not sure if I'll make another attempt any time soon. The system is nice (a little short though) but if it's going to be a guessing game as to whether or not the place will be open (even if the FB page says they are), I'd rather just go to Kettle. At least their hotline is accurate and usually up to date.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hartman creek is open.

Bike Now, Beer Later
    HPT in La Crosse is open! Booyah
    Last edited by XRayPunk; 04-15-2015 at 10:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Reforestation Camp opens Saturday

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Nine Mile and Underdown open May 1st.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Mud Lake trail and Standing Rock trail opened today.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by prj71; 04-17-2015 at 11:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Lowes Creek, Northwest Park and Hickory Ridge all open in the Chippewa Valley area.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hey guys, I'm looking for something new besides southern kettle, alpine, cam rock or blue mound for this coming weekend.

What would you recommend for a weekend trip where I could camp Saturday night? I'll be coming from NE Illinois and so I'll be taking drive time into consideration...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hey guys, I'm looking for something new besides southern kettle, alpine, cam rock or blue mound for this coming weekend.

What would you recommend for a weekend trip where I could camp Saturday night? I'll be coming from NE Illinois and so I'll be taking drive time into consideration...
    Levis mound has camping on site and it's just a short ways off of I-94, pretty sure that 9 mile is set to open this weekend. I don't think they have camping on site, but should be camping close by....maybe rib mountain park? Little early to tell weather wise but if we get rain before the weekend Levis is a great option as it dries out super fast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Underdown has numerous campsites right at the trail head and a restroom. It opens Friday and conditions are dry.

No rain in the forecast for the Merrill / Wausau area. Mid 70's both days.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by prj71; 04-28-2015 at 07:43 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    All Camba trails are open except for Hatchery Creek and the Birkie ski trail.

Go ride!

Forward At All Times
    Trails were nice and packed at new fane and greenbush. John muir was also pretty clean.
    If you cant become the best at something, just be good at everything. Live Fast Die Slow