Traverse City (summer) trail suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Traverse City (summer) trail suggestions

Hi all-
    I'm planning a July trip to Traverse City and was hoping for some suggestions on MTB trails I shouldn't miss. I have about 3 days to ride, and am looking for rides in the 3-4 hour range. I'll be staying near downtown TC, and would ideally like to ride to/from the trails if possible, so that ride time would be included.

I've searched enough to find the Vasa system, so that's on my list. Anything else riding distance to TC? Okay with any trail type, but mostly like XC type trails, flowing to technical is fine.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Not to far (but too far for me to ride it from TC lol).
    https://www.glacialhillstrails.org/

J

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yup. Glacial,Vasa, North Country Trail. Start at Marilla and do an out and back. It's remote out there so be prepared. Check with the locals for The Iceman route.

mtbr member
    Yeah. You'll probably wind up driving to trails if you want to ride more than VASA or do lots of road miles to/from trails. Things are a bit spread out up here. If you make it to Glacial in Bellaire there's a fun and relatively fast group ride in the summer from that starts and ends at Short's on Wednesday evenings. Fun way to see a good portion of the trails without stopping at every marker. Probably only about a 2 hr ride though.

mtbr member
    All- thanks for the great advice! Sounds like Glacial Hills is a must-ride. Looks to be about 45 minute drive (from where we're staying), so guess that's not too bad.

ryguy79- thanks for the tip on the group ride too. Sounds like fun and hopefully we can check that out as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Arcadia is a must ride. Its 2-way and 10ish miles if i recall correctly. If you can only do one direction, I prefer counter clockwise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    My wife and I hit up the Big M trail and Glacial Hills last year during our weekend trip to Traverse City.

I actually preferred the Big M to Glacial Hills and found Glacial Hills a bit of a disappointment. It was nice it had some mileage but wan't really that interesting/fun of a trail for MTB riding but was pretty time in the woods.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Big M is a fun trail. Probably my favorite in the area. NCT Marilla section is good too.

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the all of suggestions! Really looking forward to riding up there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitechie View Post
    My wife and I hit up the Big M trail and Glacial Hills last year during our weekend trip to Traverse City.

I actually preferred the Big M to Glacial Hills and found Glacial Hills a bit of a disappointment. It was nice it had some mileage but wan't really that interesting/fun of a trail for MTB riding but was pretty time in the woods.
    Parts of Glacial are indeed a bit meh, but there are some pretty fun sections beyond the outer loop that most people ride. After I moved here, it took a lot of time on the trails to figure out the most fun routes in there, and some sections are definitely more fun depending on direction.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Just adding: Arcadia is worth the drive, its about an hours south of TC, but if you can hit it on the way up or down the 10 mile loop is a ton of fun.
    Salsa Timberjack GX (2018)