Midwest Region- Did You Ride Today?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Midwest Region- Did You Ride Today?

I ride as much as life, work and weather allows. I am fortunate to have a really nice trail system of about 13 miles of singletrack 5 minutes from work. I can hit the trail get some miles in and still get home and have dinner ready before the wife gets out of work.

So, did you ride today?

Fat Guy on Fat Tires
    Fat guy on Fat tires

mtbr member
    What a beautiful day to be in the woods on my bike! Hit Midland City Forest singletrack. 55 degrees, sunny and not to wet.

Glad I got out as the weatherman is calling for rain all next week

Midwest Region- Did You Ride Today?-img_4336.jpgMidwest Region- Did You Ride Today?-img_4338.jpgMidwest Region- Did You Ride Today?-img_4339.jpgMidwest Region- Did You Ride Today?-img_4340.jpg

Fat Guy on Fat Tires
    Fat guy on Fat tires

Snow Dog
    beat me to it!!! Didn't get to ride this weekend due to finishing projects around the house and rain. Hope to add to this thread this coming weekend
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

NDD
    mtbr member
    Cool Midwesterners have their own "Did you Ride" thread, now. We're expecting 4 inches of rain in the next two or three days, so bummer for us in Missouri. Hopefully next week is as dry as predicted.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk
    dang

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    There was supposed to be 3-5 inches of snow on the ground Sunday morning. Got out to 0 inches. Had a great ride. Rained out of yesterday's ride. Probably rain out today, tomorrow and maybe Thursday. Oh well. gotta love MI weather.

mtbr member
    I wish! I just got my bike back from Bikeflights last night and having to ship out the fork today for a claim. UPS scratched it all to hell and back when I shipped it out to Phoenix for a week of riding in Sedona and Prescott. Never had that problem with FedEx when I used them.

Oh well, it's more time I have to build my trails in my backyard!

Snow Dog
    sounds like we all are victims if the rain thing....with temps gettign into the 80's today, I sort of wish I was in MI with the snow chances....

hopefully trails around here will dry out for this weekend.

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    I was hoping to post more since I started this thread but old Mother Nature is a fickle lady.

Did get out this afternoon after work for a ride. What an absolutely gorgeous day to be in the woods on a bike!
    Club rides start next week so looks like no more excuses to get out and ride.

Midwest Region- Did You Ride Today?-img_4348.jpg

Fat Guy on Fat Tires
    Fat guy on Fat tires

Snow Dog
    work has had me at 14 hour days for the last 3 weeks straight, so I have been too dead to ride....plus all of the rain, plus on the last ride, I got a flat, and have not had time to deal with it....BUT, summer break starts next week, so that is all going to change...

LET IT SNOW!

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Missouri has been getting quite hounded with rain the past month or so, each day I am able to ride, the trails are muddy. Been doing a ton of spinning lately.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Another good ride tonight after work. Slowly getting my legs back after a long winter of sitting on the couch filling my face. Lungs will take some more time. 7.5 miles of singletrack on a beautiful afternoon!

Tomorrow looks good for a ride. Thursday looks good too and looking for a high in the low 80s. Midwest Region- Did You Ride Today?-img_4349.jpg

Fat Guy on Fat Tires
    Central Michigan Mountain Bike Association
    Salsa-Adventure by Bike
    Fat guy on Fat tires

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyDoo View Post
    Another good ride tonight after work. Slowly getting my legs back after a long winter of sitting on the couch filling my face. Lungs will take some more time. 7.5 miles of singletrack on a beautiful afternoon!

Tomorrow looks good for a ride. Thursday looks good too and looking for a high in the low 80s. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4349.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	1252339

Fat Guy on Fat Tires
    Salsa-Adventure by Bike
    man, if you were sitting on the couch all winter, you missed the best time of year to ride!!!

hope to get out this weekend as well...wish it was today. Beautiful fall day here in Ohio

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    man, if you were sitting on the couch all winter, you missed the best time of year to ride!!!

hope to get out this weekend as well...wish it was today. Beautiful fall day here in Ohio
    My winter weather past time has a track and two skis

Fat Guy on Fat Tires
    Salsa-Adventure by Bike
    Fat guy on Fat tires

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have two skis no track. Let gravity do its stuff.

Snow Dog
    finally got a ride in yesterday after 3 weeks of work and rain killing any time I would have used

Local Yokel trails in the woods in the park b/c our legit trails are still closed
    Midwest Region- Did You Ride Today?-5-27-19-1.jpg

Midwest Region- Did You Ride Today?-5-27-19-2.jpg

Midwest Region- Did You Ride Today?-5-27-19-3.jpg

probably won't have legit trails open till July given the recent weather patterns

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I ride 3-4 times a week. One of those times are with my girlfriend on bike paths (baby steps). I am slowly fitting an old bike for her and I doubt she will ever want to ride trails, but its ok. Perhaps we will get gravel bikes someday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Central Illinois. I've gotten 1 real MTB ride in this spring. It so freaking wet right now that my gravel bike leaves ruts on the gravel roads!

CEO Product Failure

No good

Quote Originally Posted by sns1294 View Post
    Central Illinois. I've gotten 1 real MTB ride in this spring. It so freaking wet right now that my gravel bike leaves ruts on the gravel roads!
    I feel your pain. Someone posted on FB that Comlara got 12"+ of rain in May. Ouch. Peoria's in the same shape. I'm not even sure if there's been a dry day to ride Palos since the freeze. I'm in StL and the trail conditions will tip to "yellow" one day out of ten. But as soon as the trails are remotely rideable---thunderstorms.

So I'm riding my road bike twice a week in between storms and riding my fat bike on pavement and gravel. I'm getting in 4-5 rides a week. Better than nothing but I'd really like to be on singletrack.

Oh, and the times I have been able to ride trails in May (3 times) the mosquitos are in rare form. All this water has increased the mosquito population incredibly.

Edited to add: I rode the fatty on pavement this morning. 19mi with a 14.5mph pace. Better than nothing. If you're in Peoria, tomorrow is the bike-n-brew pub crawl from noon-6pm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeah, I'm on the fence with the bike and brew with the 70% chance of rain. Rain would be ok, but the thunderstorms not so much.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdoog View Post
    I ride 3-4 times a week. One of those times are with my girlfriend on bike paths (baby steps). I am slowly fitting an old bike for her and I doubt she will ever want to ride trails, but its ok. Perhaps we will get gravel bikes someday.
    I am having to do this with my wife...she does not like "the wobbly feeling of dirt paths" right now. Also does not like falling, which is funny cause she was a professional figure skater back in the day(tired out for 88 and 92 Olympics, and did Ice CApades etc...)...I always chide her by saying: "how can you hate falling, that is all you did for the first 23 years of your life...ON ICE, WITH NO PADS..."

would like to get her on gravel eventually so we can bike pack. She likes to camp and all of that...

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Got an after work ride this afternoon. The did a reroute on part of one of the loops at the local trail system. Rode it for the first time today. Added a little more mileage but the fun factor on that part of the loop has been ramped up considerably. Kicked my ass but fun as hell!

Midwest Region- Did You Ride Today?-img_4350.jpg

Fat Guy on Fat Tires
    Salsa-Adventure by Bike
    Fat guy on Fat tires

NDD
    mtbr member
    I did! Finally wasn't working on the bathroom and it wasn't raining. So I put in almost 30 miles near St. Charles, MO. Started at the Missouri River and rode a gravel trail (Hamburg Trail) up to Busch Conservation Area, where I did a short gravel loop and rode back. Then I dropped down into the Lost Valley trail which is about 10 miles.

Wasn't planning on taking the single speed, but the front tire in my geared 29er has a slow leak, and I didn't feel like putzing around with tubes or sealant.
    dang

mtbr member
    Great ride tonight with the local cycling clubís Monday night group ride. 65 with a slight breeze and singletrack trail. Great night to be on your bike in the woods!

Group ride tomorrow night with the Central Michigan Mountain Bike Association if the weather holds out

Fat Guy on Fat Tires
    Salsa-Adventure by Bike
    Fat guy on Fat tires

mtbr member
    For crying out loud! Stop raining!

I was thinking this forum was completely dead until I realized that everyone else was experiencing the same weather. Last 30 days, itís rained 20!

Got to do the Monday night group ride last night. Great night to be out except for the skeeters.

Rode again after work this afternoon. Had grand plans for putting on miles. My legs had other ideas. Felt good to be able to ride two days in a row.

Hard to tell in the picture but the cottonwood was so thick it looked like it was snowing.

Midwest Region- Did You Ride Today?-img_4360.jpg

Fat Guy on Fat Tires
    Salsa-Adventure by Bike
    Fat guy on Fat tires

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Surprised there arenít more replies here from the weekend. Got 2 rides in this weekend at chestnut and Alumn P2. Both on my fat bike, but felt good to ride in Ohio again for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Got a full lap in at DTE on Saturday. First time on some of the new stuff. Loved it. With 18-20 miles of trail, you can get an honest workout in w/o repeating any trail. And they are finishing up another new piece soon.

CEO Product Failure
    One month later...the weather still sucks. Just at the point when a trail is rideable (soft with a few puddles/low spots), we have a thunderstorm. Other than my rides in Tucson and Colorado, there have been zero dry rides this year. Every ride in the Midwest has been soft. Starting to wear on me... :-(

NDD
    mtbr member
    Not today but last weekend. Got out at the Marble Creek section of the Ozark Trail. Pretty fun adventurous ride. I'd do it again, but maybe not on a single speed. It absolutely poured for about half of the 20 mile ride, but the trail held up really in about 99% of spots. Dang it feels good to be unglaciated.

dang

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Just got back from a weekend riding Cadillac MTB Trail and Avalanche in Boyne City. Great to be riding northern MI trails. Big thanks to those maintaining the trails. Hadn't been on Avalanche in a while; it is has been greatly improved!

NDD
    mtbr member
    Got in a great ride at Bluffview County Park near St. Lou. 12.6 miles of solid singletrack on the Monocog. I think I was the only one I saw out there with a rigid bike or a single speed. Man I'm feeling like Huey Lewis and the News up in here.
    dang

Snow Dog
    still too hot for me to ride here in Ohio....waiting for the 75 degree high on Tues! Got some GREAT riding in on vacation in Michigan last week....tried downhill for the first time, I liked it, but not enough to go full out into it....did not get pics b/c my phone ended up in Lake Michigan on the first morning there, so now I have a new phone, but no pics of the great trails and weather we had to ride

LET IT SNOW!

NDD
    mtbr member
    did not get pics b/c my phone ended up in Lake Michigan on the first morning there, so now I have a new phone, but no pics of the great trails and weather we had to ride
    This is a downright proper way to start a vacay.
    dang

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    This is a downright proper way to start a vacay.
    yeah....the only thing I really missed was having the camera and GPS, but I am old school and had paper maps of the whole area. I still will study a map of an area before I go. It is habit, and helps me orient my self to the larger picture of the area....plus I love maps. I was a cartographer in my other life

LET IT SNOW!

NDD
    mtbr member
    yeah....the only thing I really missed was having the camera and GPS, but I am old school and had paper maps of the whole area. I still will study a map of an area before I go. It is habit, and helps me orient my self to the larger picture of the area....plus I love maps. I was a cartographer in my other life
    Nice! I use maps regularly for my job. If I'm going somewhere where I'll be taking roads/trails I've never been on, I'll bring paper maps, but usually I try to have the route memorized. I meet a surprising number of people, even in the ecological field, that actually suck at reading topo maps.
    dang

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Nice! I use maps regularly for my job. If I'm going somewhere where I'll be taking roads/trails I've never been on, I'll bring paper maps, but usually I try to have the route memorized. I meet a surprising number of people, even in the ecological field, that actually suck at reading topo maps.
    I totally memorize the maps as well...alternative routes. I have topo maps of all of the major places I have been on vacation framed. They are in storage right now as I am moving, but I love topo maps...

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    DTE Saturday, Sunday, and Tree Farm last night. Not that I expect to do well during the Tree Farm Relay this weekend, but at least I'm getting my new Evil dialed in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Rode Hickory Glen yesterday evening. That has to be the best maintained trail in the metro area. No face slappers, knee slappers, downed trees/branches. Kudos to the trail workers.

mtbr member
    Glad to see people are starting to get some riding in now that our 1 month summer has arrived

Rode Monday night on a group ride. Rode this afternoon after work and probably tomorrow after work and before heading up to the lake for the weekend.

I think I deserve this after a hot but awesome ride today

Midwest Region- Did You Ride Today?-img_4396.jpg

Fat Guy on Fat Tires
    Salsa-Adventure by Bike
    Fat guy on Fat tires

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyDoo View Post
    Glad to see people are starting to get some riding in now that our 1 month summer has arrived

Rode Monday night on a group ride. Rode this afternoon after work and probably tomorrow after work and before heading up to the lake for the weekend.

I think I deserve this after a hot but awesome ride today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4396.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	1267137

Fat Guy on Fat Tires
    Salsa-Adventure by Bike
    Yeah, it's a good thing we can get out, now. Although I think I've developed some kind of sinus infection, and of course when we're gonna have a few dry weeks I'm about to feel like garbage. Woo.
    dang

mtbr member
    What a day to be in the woods on a bike! 75 degrees, lots of sun and the trails all to myself. One of those days that is just good for the soul!

Midwest Region- Did You Ride Today?-img_4418.jpg

Fat Guy on Fat Tires
    Salsa-Adventure by Bike
    Fat guy on Fat tires

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I rode the River Bends and Clinton River MTB combo last night for the first time this year. Both are in excellent shape. Big thanks to the trail workers. The asphalt trail in between them is the most dangerous thing I've ridden all year.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Boyne Highlands Bike Park for me last Saturday. My second time there, but first time on the Evil. Was a great time. Lots of progression hitting jumps and drops.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Tried to get a ride in at Chestnut after work, got caught in a downpour that turned into a lot of rain, so cut it way short.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddoh View Post
    Just got back from a weekend riding Cadillac MTB Trail and Avalanche in Boyne City. Great to be riding northern MI trails. Big thanks to those maintaining the trails. Hadn't been on Avalanche in a while; it is has been greatly improved!
    Was the new trail (stroll the steeps) at avalanche open when you rode it? It's great fun. So nice to now have a directional dh trail right by work for evening lapping.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79 View Post
    Was the new trail (stroll the steeps) at avalanche open when you rode it? It's great fun. So nice to now have a directional dh trail right by work for evening lapping.
    I'm not sure. I just rode to the top and got a little confused until I found some single track that ultimately led me back down the way I came up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Rode Carlos Memorial Ride (Highland backwards) on Saturday and 40 mile gravel ride to Hell on Sunday. I'd never been to Hell before. Good chance I'll be back. This is the best time of year to ride, without question.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Rode Island Lake Blue, Badlands and Stoney in the last couple of days. Rode Milford last night. The trail was crunchy goodness, but at 16F, it's getting to be a bit chilly (maybe more than a bit).

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I missed the group ride last night (remodeling bathroom taking longer than expected) but 7 guys hit Pontiac Lake at 12F.

Snow Dog
    Christmas Break starts tomorrow, so I have almost 14 days of pure riding fun coming up,,,can't wait!!

LET IT SNOW!

NDD
    mtbr member
    Christmas Break starts tomorrow, so I have almost 14 days of pure riding fun coming up,,,can't wait!!
    Lucky you. We got a bunch of snow early in the week and from today through all of next week it'll be too warm, so it'll all melt and turn to mush.
    dang

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Road bike ride.... does that count? Still waiting for the weather to get colder for fat-bike to go frozen trail riding in central Ohio.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Supposed to get cold this weekend in central Ohio. Hoping Sunday morning will be enough to freeze the trails, fat bike has too much dust on it right now.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Bills View Post
    Supposed to get cold this weekend in central Ohio. Hoping Sunday morning will be enough to freeze the trails, fat bike has too much dust on it right now.
    I wish...the rain all day Sat is going to kill any legit trail riding...this will be the first MLK weekend in a few years that we don't get dumped on. The past 2 years have been snowy heaven on this weekend...

I doubt we see any legit snow this "winter"...

LET IT SNOW!

NDD
    mtbr member
    Today, the high (right now, actually) will be about 46 degrees, tomorrow and Monday, the high will be about 20 degrees, so I'm looking forward to the cold temps, since the trails will be frozen.
    dang

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    We rode the Badlands on Sunday. Perfect conditions with an inch or so of snow on top of old snow and crumpled ice. Also, a few open water crossings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I was just going to post asking if there is anywhere I can ride in Central Ohio with all the places like Alum Creek being closed due to rain. Any gravel trails or anything?

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenenine View Post
    I was just going to post asking if there is anywhere I can ride in Central Ohio with all the places like Alum Creek being closed due to rain. Any gravel trails or anything?
    I ride the little trail that goes around Antrim Lake all the time. It is a "local yokel" trail that has been there since the 70's. My friends snd I rode that area on BMX back then. It is pretty tame...much like AC beginners trail...and recently there us some hike-a-bike b/c of downed trees and erosion, but it is better than nothing..

would you be into meeting there this weekend?

LET IT SNOW!

Death Mud
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenenine View Post
    Check out the Ohio Gravel Grinders website for some good gravel routes about 30 mins outside of town (although maybe wait for the ďstay homeĒ order to expire). There are some good routes just East of Columbus with a mix of gravel and pavement. Itís not the trail, but itís better than road riding while waiting for things to dry out.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by velcipede View Post
    Check out the Ohio Gravel Grinders website for some good gravel routes about 30 mins outside of town (although maybe wait for the ďstay homeĒ order to expire). There are some good routes just East of Columbus with a mix of gravel and pavement. Itís not the trail, but itís better than road riding while waiting for things to dry out.
    I have that site!!

one of my plans for the spring was to start doing this. My relatives live in the Johnstown/Alexandria/Newark area, and was hoping to find spots close to their farms so I had places to park. I might plan to go out there this Friday or Saturday...gonna look at the site later on tonight

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    FINALLY!! Got to P2 today for the first ride of the year, and Chestnut only being open short times on weekends will be good this weekend as well. Planned a MOTO day but the tracks all keep getting closed down before they can open for practices.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Just got my first ride at mamba today. Last ride I had there was in October! Freaking rain kept the trails a swamp fall and winter. Never was cold enough, long enough to get solid. 4 miles is all I could do. Had knee surgery 11 months ago. Riding trails is the best thing I can do for my leg if the rain will allow it.

It was exhausting, and great to be riding again. Anybody want some rain? Weíve had enough for 9 months.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Bills View Post
    FINALLY!! Got to P2 today for the first ride of the year, and Chestnut only being open short times on weekends will be good this weekend as well. Planned a MOTO day but the tracks all keep getting closed down before they can open for practices.
    wait...P2 was open? Was P1/ Beginner open? My friend wants to learn how to do the MTB's, and I want to take him to Gnomewood...

LET IT SNOW!