mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Midwest Racers - Who's droppin', who's not?

My first XC racing season on the horizon starting with the Sylvan Island race in April. Midwest racers (IL, IA, WI) are you using a dropper post? Thoughts on pluses and minuses of using one on a hardtail, specifically for the Midwest racing area appreciated!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Racing or not racing, I can't imagine not having one.

It took all of a mere few seconds to ask the question of why it took me so long to upgrade this component.

That being said, this is something again I would say is 1. personal preference and 2. the type of terrain/racing you'd be doing.

JMTC

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    based on my trail riding experience, I'd have one. It'd have to be a flow trail to consider not having one due to the weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Midwest (Iowa mostly) rider and occasional racer here. I'm on a hardtail with no dropper. I just got back from riding in AZ and on a few of the big descents I was thinking, hmm, this is probably a good spot to use a dropper. So out there, I would probably have one.

Riding around on my usual trails, I am almost never thinking about a dropper. I'm sure there are some sections where a dropper would help me navigate them a bit more smoothly, though.

So I mostly agree with what other say. Personal preference. For me, not a necessity.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by theandrewjoe View Post
    based on my trail riding experience, I'd have one. It'd have to be a flow trail to consider not having one due to the weight.
    I dunno what flow trails you're talking about, but most of the ones I've ridden, I'm prone to drop the saddle and stand the whole length of the trail. Way more fun that way.

mtbr member
    Cat 2 XC racer in Michigan. Did the past two years without a dropper, but just added a lightweight one for this years XC season. I have some epic rides post XC race season (Marji Gesick 100) and some planned riding vacations (Colorado, Utah, Scotland), so a dropper was an easy decision. Weight gain is minimal and won’t be the deciding factor on the podium. I’m confident in downhill techy descents, but I can only imagine this will up my game.
    2018 Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup | “If you’re not first you’re last”

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm running a dropper for the first time. My new BMC has it built in. I agree with MI-XC on having one for Marji. I wish I had one last year for it. Did not get in for next year. I have the buckle so no unfinished business.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norty_mtb View Post
    I'm running a dropper for the first time. My new BMC has it built in. I agree with MI-XC on having one for Marji. I wish I had one last year for it. Did not get in for next year. I have the buckle so no unfinished business.
    Impressive work on getting the Buckle! I’d love any insight you’re willing to give on bike setup, gear, fueling, etc. that made you successful. PM me if you’re willing to share 👍.
    2018 Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup | “If you’re not first you’re last”

mtbr member
    So, are you racing the Illinois or the Iowa series? I have raced the Illinois series for several years. Either way, our first two races overlap this year. Sylvan Island and Illiniwek are both pretty "non-technical" trails.
    Have you ridden Sylvan Island before? There is little/no elevation gain in the race. There are a couple of technical sections mainly due to the fact that we roll through some old concrete foundations and rubble from the old factory. I've raced it on a hardtail with a solid post without issue. I will admit that I don't ride/race with a dropper at all. Nothing against them. I've used them, but can't justify spending the money on one because there aren't enough places around here that I think it will make me faster.
    I've toyed with picking up one for BT Epic, but on the other hand I've done it a few times without one with no issues.

If you have a good one and you're used to riding with it then it certainly won't hurt you. Illiniwek is likely even less technical than Sylvan Island, however, there is a lot more climbing. The descents aren't technical, so if you aren't a fast climber you may not want the extra weight.

Are you racing CAT 3, 2, or 1?
    2018 Santa Cruz Blur
    2015 Santa Cruz Highball