batteries bike lights at the Tijuana airport?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

batteries bike lights at the Tijuana airport?

Interjet says they do not allow lithium batteries. Does this mean I can only fly with my 10 year old AA lights? Or, can I just leave a modern light on the bars and have it still be there when I arrive in Guatemala.

In Tijuana they want battery powered items in your checked bag, with batteries removed and in a clear plastic bag. My Light in Motion and my Cygo lights do not have removable batteries. I have a Fenix head lamp with a removable lithium battery, will that work on the plane?

My old AA lights make just about enough light to find the sidewalk, they do not make enough light to see hazards in the jungles of Guatemala.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    Interjet says they do not allow lithium batteries. Does this mean I can only fly with my 10 year old AA lights? Or, can I just leave a modern light on the bars and have it still be there when I arrive in Guatemala.

In Tijuana they want battery powered items in your checked bag, with batteries removed and in a clear plastic bag. My Light in Motion and my Cygo lights do not have removable batteries. I have a Fenix head lamp with a removable lithium battery, will that work on the plane?

My old AA lights make just about enough light to find the sidewalk, they do not make enough light to see hazards in the jungles of Guatemala.
    Maybe ship the batteries separately.

Yeah!
    IATA doesn't fool around with Li-Ion and other high energy batteries. These batteries can generate an intense fire that can't be put out by onboard systems. We have lost aircraft on the ground and in the air due to these batteries. Don't take a chance, follow the rules, it's for your safety and the safety of others.

batteries bike lights at the Tijuana airport?-notworththerisk.jpg
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    IATA doesn't fool around with Li-Ion and other high energy batteries. These batteries can generate an intense fire that can't be put out by onboard systems. We have lost aircraft on the ground and in the air due to these batteries. Don't take a chance, follow the rules, it's for your safety and the safety of others.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NotWorthTheRisk.jpg 
Views:	1142 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	1185018
    Soooooo that's where my lost package went.........
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member

that's pretty bad. Aren't laptop batteries Li-Ion?

Yeah!
    Yes, most laptop batteries are Li-Ion.

mtbr member

My fenix ld 20 AA flash light and my 2 Maco 150 AA bike lights make less light than 1 Urban 900, and weigh 6 times more.

I will be visiting ruins in Peten Guatemala. My little solar panel dont recharge AA batteries. Oh NO what to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWhCejqb02w

then I checked the idea of ordering batteries

UPDATE 6-28-17: INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS ONLY. Due to the large amount of lost packages shipped to these countries, we are no longer able to ship to: Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, Cyprus, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Russia, South Africa, Switzerland, Turkey, and Ukraine. This list is not all-inclusive, and other countries may be added at the company's discretion. Contact Fenixlight Limited for details.

Yeah!
    AA's don't even make for good LED flashlights, let alone bike lights. Hell, I had to my cateye halogen lamp in '91, double the voltage, and triple the bulb wattage to get enough light to ride flat country roads at night.

Have you checked with your airline on bringing the lights? If they let you board with a laptop, should be no reason to not let you board with decent bike lights. Best bet would be a set that comes with a custom soft-side case. People feel comfortable with things that have a case with protective inserts.

mtbr member
    In the end, I put an older 500 lumen light on the bar and it was still there at the other end.
    Even five hundred lumens makes my AA flashlight look dim.

The Mexicans are strict about batteries. They want them in your checked bag and out of the device.