mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Yeti SB130 for MA, Highland and KT?

The new SB130 has really caught my eye. I'm currently riding a 2012 Devinci Dexter which has been a great bike for me, though in my recent visit to Kingdom Trails I rented a Hightower and it was eye opening.

So I've decided I'm due for an upgrade. I live right next to the Fells so that's where most of my after/before work riding happens. HP, Russell Mill, Lynn Woods make up the test of my local riding when I have a bit more time. Trips up to Highland as much as I can - though I've been renting (and want something to handle the park) and a few trips to KT every year.

How do you all think the SB130 would fit into my riding profile? I really enjoyed the Hightower, and the SB130 with it's new school geometry is a logical progression. My concerns are that this could be too long and too low for the riding I do. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    All them elite mid travel 29ers are swell bikes for riding most places in MA (and most of the rest of the planet). You can pretty much pick one based on color (so how much do you love sea foam green? &#128521.
    Though, depending on how important Bike park riding is to you, you might want something burlier or an additional lift served sled (used DH bikes are a godsend).

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Yea the sea foam is amazing color. Park is pretty much secondary. I'm not hucking it off anything more than 3ft and usually stick to the blues and black B lines. I would probably add a DH bike down the line instead of over gunning my daily driver.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I think it's a great choice for what you describe. I ride an Evil Following MB which has geometry in the same ballpark and it's a blast everywhere. I'm definitely slower at Highland than I would be on a full blown enduro rig or dh bike, but it's still tons of fun. Wheelworks in Belmont is a Yeti dealer and lets you try bikes out on the local trails if you want to try one out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by oathead View Post
    I think it's a great choice for what you describe. I ride an Evil Following MB which has geometry in the same ballpark and it's a blast everywhere. I'm definitely slower at Highland than I would be on a full blown enduro rig or dh bike, but it's still tons of fun. Wheelworks in Belmont is a Yeti dealer and lets you try bikes out on the local trails if you want to try one out.
    Thanks - Didn't realize Wheelworks did demos. My days of trying to race for a downhill KOM are well behind me. I just want to have fun, hit some mild drops and not have to rent a bike every time I hit Highland.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    hey Miguel,
    If you are still pondering options...

I came off of a 2015 Stumpy Evo 29r which I really liked as an all rounder.

I’m recently switched to a Guerrilla Gravity “The Smash” with a 140mm coil in back & 150mm MRP Ribbon fork... it’s silly how much nicer it is than my old bike! Climbs much better (steeper seat tube) and soooo much more plush on descents.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I ended up pulling the trigger on the SB130 GX build in the spruce color.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Update: First Ride on SB130. So I finally got my SB130 built up (gx build) and took it for a rip over at the Fells. I know the Fells like the back of my hand so it was really an eye opening experience (all my 29er/27.5 demos have been up at KT or Highland).

For context, I have been riding a 26” 110mm travel Devinci Dexter for the past 6 years. Coming from road and CX, that bike was awesome. I’ve loved it. But obviously the world has evolved. I demo’d a Hightower up at KT this past summer and that did it. Upgrade season.

So I did my research, talked to a bunch of people and solicited advice here in this thread. SB130 it is.

So many factors have improved so much that it is really difficult to say- this is why I love this bike. My devinci was aluminum. Carbon frame makes the chatter muted. Or is it more suspension? Or maybe it’s the 2.5 DHF up front? Or just the 29” wheels? Here are things I do know:

No trouble whatsoever on the switchbacks. In fact with the 29 inch wheels I was rolling over rocks and roots at low speed so well, the switchbacks felt easier. So definitely no problem being “too long”.

Pedal strikes no worse, if not better than my devinci. Definitely not too low through the techy sections.

This thing climbs and has a better pedaling platform than my 110mm devinci. The devinci had a ton of pedal bob. The SB130 just wasn’t a to go. Power directly to the rear wheel and small bumps are just gone. It is a really new sensation.

Bike Mag had a review that said you need to get super far forward to weight the front wheel through corners because it would wash out otherwise. Whhhat? This sensation did not exist. Sure you can get over the front wheel and get aggressive with it in the turn- but I don’t know. I didn’t have to “relearn” how to ride a bike or do a ton of pushups like the Bike Mag review suggested.

I did NOT use the full suspension at the Fells. I didn’t hit any drops and nothing gets going too fast there anyway- so I didn’t expect to. I think if I were to ride HP, Fells, Landlocked, Russell mill exclusively - then SB100 or a Trail 429 would be the right bike. But with trips to Highland, KT, Stowe etc- I feel super confident in this bike and I don’t mind the extra weight/maybe slower handling of the SB130.

Overall this bike feels bigger than my devinci. And it should going to 130/150 29” from 110/120 26”. Sure my devinci has quicker handling, but that is the only thing the devinci does better than the SB130. Can’t wait to get this thing north come summer.