WTF? Blue Hills ?- Mtbr.com
    over my head

WTF? Blue Hills ?

Rode Blue Hills yesterday for almost two hours before I found out that they don't officially open until tomorrow (sorry about that - my mistake). I hadn't been there in at least 3 years but all the decent MTB trails seem to have the red "no bikes" signs on them. Will they remove those when the warmer months come or are bikes basically now restricted to the fire roads? Just trying to figure out if it is ever worth going there again...?

We parked at Hougton's Pond and crossed the street and went up past the ranger station.
    If a little is good...a lot must be great!- B.J. McVane
    '08 Highline;'06(?) 5-Pack;'04 Specialized Enduro; '94 GF Tassajara

Apr 2006
    the trails that are marked "no bike" are strictly that, no bike. They're used primarily for avid hikers and such. The trails at blue hills are decent and are often fire roads instead of single track. Blue hills is nice if you want decent trail and a real good workout, atleast thats what ive found.

What really makes me say WTF is that bikes are prohibited from all parts of the reservation except the trails directly north of Houghtons pond. Compare this map (of the biking trails)

https://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/metro...Bikkingmap.jpg

with a map of the the whole place:

https://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trail...lsTrlMap07.gif

So you if you wanted to ride a circuit loop starting in Quincy out to Dedham and back on fire roads you couldn't do it. It sounds like an overly restrictive policy to me and perhaps a throwback to the days when mtbs we're really getting screwed in terms of access.

( )
    Nov 2004
    I thought I read somewhere a while back that more trails might be opening up to mountain biking? I guess it hasn't happened. I haven't ridden there in a couple of years, but I was able to put together a loop that included a fair amount of legal "singletrack" (but mostly doubletrack in reality). I parked off 138 near the base of the ski slope, took the Acord Path and then eventually crossed over to the trail that follows Chickatawbut Road. From there I headed towards Buck Hill (climbed it to view that particular year's fire damage) and then back down to cross Hill Side street and made my way back on the north side of Hemenway Hill. There was some fun stuff in there, but most of it was fireroad and wide doubletrack. The problem with blue hills is not moutain bikers, it's that the trails and fireroads were originally built straight up and down the hills, allowing the massive erosion problems that have occured over time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Those signs mean "no red bikes", don't they?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    blue hills has ok terrain, but the singletrack is limited. ride wompatuck for better singletrack
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

over my head
    It's too bad - I remember some pretty technical trails there years ago...
    If a little is good...a lot must be great!- B.J. McVane
    '08 Highline;'06(?) 5-Pack;'04 Specialized Enduro; '94 GF Tassajara

rack admirer

Longer climbs and descents

You guys all have valid points, but BH has the most vertical in the Boston area. Extended lung blowing climbs and fast steep descents get marks in the check + column. Not much twisty singletracks or rock drops. The conservators haven't allowed trail cutting. You need to go to Wompatuck or Fells/Nam and other locals for that.
    Its ok with me if riders stay away.
    MCM # 57

Members who have read this thread: 0