mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Would there be demand for a bike park in the Boston area?

I found this article during my morning web surfing: How to Build a Bike Park: Navigating an Unprecedented Path in Pennsylvania | Singletracks Mountain Bike News. It describes a bike skills park that was built in Pennsylvania. It sounds really cool -- it has pump track features, as well as jumps, drops & other features that are both fun and skill building. I've been wondering whether something like this would be feasible in the Boston area.

The first problem to solve would be the availability of land. Perhaps the Mary Cummings Park in Burlington and Woburn could support something like this? Would Burlington and Woburn be on board with something like this? If not, are there any other sites?

The next problem would be finding money. When a parcel of land in Vietnam because available, NEMBA ran a fund raising campaign that collected enough money to buy it. Do you suppose this could happen again, for a dedicated bike park?

Then of course, there's the problem of staffing the effort. I think it all comes down to -- Is there enough interest in the Boston area to find the money and volunteers to build something like this?

I'm curious as to how much interest there would be in building a skills park in this area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mary Cummings is owned by the city of Boston. Vietnam is private property, owned by Nemba. Going to be able to get liability insurance for town owned land? Not likely. Just come up with 500K, easy after that, checked out the Boston skate park, Lynn woods and Beverly commons for fun stuff to ride?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I think it is a fantastic idea.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So just buy the land or get permission to build on 10-20 acre, secure liability insurance and I will show up with my wheelbarrow and flat shovel. Oh, just get LOTS of pressure treated lumber and 30 or so truckloads of proper dirt. Sweet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Even better would be an indoor park.....Highland is only an hour away and that place has it all. I rode Vietnam the other day and the features not on the NEMBA parcel are really fun. Some fairly big drops even if very old and not well maintained. The NEMBA parcel stuff is nice but tame. Point being: it seems challenging to have something more advanced even on the nemba land. Highland requires waivers, NEMBA does not. Maybe that is part of it. Did I say indoor park? Maybe off route 1?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'd rather see a pump track or dirt jumps near the Lynch skatepark. Velosolutions pump track would be close to zero maintenance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA16D-kNhck

mtbr member
    It can be done. MORE/IMBA worked with a local park in MD to get it done.
    https://www.imba.com/model-trails/co...parks/rockburn
    Once Rockburn was in place, they were able to get a second similar area set up in a different county. Upcoming Events ? South Germantown Bike Park ? MORE
    Both were built and maintained with a lot of fund raising, matching gifts, and volunteer work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    Once Rockburn was in place, they were able to get a second similar area set up in a different county. Upcoming Events ? South Germantown Bike Park ? MORE
    Both were built and maintained with a lot of fund raising, matching gifts, and volunteer work.
    TS has been doing some cool bike park stuff lately. Knoxville is one of my favorites, right outside downtown, free, and full of goods. Mostly DH flow, but pumptracks are being built. The Silo Center in Louisville will have DH flow as well as DJs, a skills loop, and pumptracks. Plus miles of traditional singeltrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiucgFz7IEw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzvQO2Mn9Ns
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I think there are already plenty of places to ride within an hour of Boston that give you everything you're gonna get out of a 'skills park'. Actually, looking at the OPs example, for New England, it seems that would be a place to go if you were looking to NOT have to use as much skill as you would on our regular trails. These types of ultra-groomed parks also require a shit-ton of maintenance. IMO, they're not something that's likely to work as a volunteer-run effort on pubic land around here.

One of the largest indoor parks on the east coast is already right on Rt 1 in Rye NH. Wednesday's are Old Guy Nites - "2 geezers for the price of one". Perfect time for MTBers to check it out!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    You are right! If there's anything we need more it is road gaps, bigger drops and gaps gaps gaps on the usual trails. Since that won't happen we are all set.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    I moved before rockburn was finished, but the pump track there was AWESOME. Loved that place.

They tied it into a big "sports complex" that was already there and right by the trails at Patapsco (also a fun area to ride).

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by shrink View Post
    You are right! If there's anything we need more it is road gaps
    So much yes!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rileyjamesb View Post
    Is there enough interest in the Boston area to find the money and volunteers to build something like this?
    Wandering in from the MN/WI forums. The headline caught my attention.

If you want to look at how to urban MTBing, take a look at MN & WI. MN has the most amount of urban riding in the nation. They also have the only 2 completely urban ride centers (MORC-MSP & Duluth) in the world. WI has a lot of urban trails around Madison and put some of them on very tight properties.

If you are working the GBNEMBA, they can help some. If you feel like you need some more firepower, PM me. I can help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleKrieg View Post
    Wandering in from the MN/WI forums. The headline caught my attention.

If you want to look at how to urban MTBing, take a look at MN & WI. MN has the most amount of urban riding in the nation. They also have the only 2 completely urban ride centers (MORC-MSP & Duluth) in the world. WI has a lot of urban trails around Madison and put some of them on very tight properties.

If you are working the GBNEMBA, they can help some. If you feel like you need some more firepower, PM me. I can help.
    If you are looking for assistance or input from GBNEMBA, I'd suggest hitting up the monthly meeting. It's worth it for the free pizza and beer alone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Can we talk road gaps there? There is a spot at the powerlines at LW that begs to be build up as a road gap......

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

mtbr member
    ^ wow

The Riddler
    Always thought the Blue Hills would be a smash, especially if done right. So much terrain there too. Could be a good resource for after-school programming the same way the ski area is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Checked out the new pump track the other day. It is real and it is awesome.

mtbr member
    Any pictures? I am going to check it out this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Notaskitrail View Post
    Any pictures? I am going to check it out this weekend.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/bmx/comment...pump_track_in/

@njcshreds
    Quote Originally Posted by TomB15 View Post
    Checked out the new pump track the other day. It is real and it is awesome.
    I concur. It is awesome! It flows great and has plenty of line options.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    Would there be demand for a bike park in the Boston area?-img_7026.jpgWould there be demand for a bike park in the Boston area?-img_7025.jpgWould there be demand for a bike park in the Boston area?-img_7023.jpg

I did a few laps

Would there be demand for a bike park in the Boston area?-img_7035.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Would there be demand for a bike park in the Boston area?-img_7026.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    That track looks fantastic, I canít wait to check it out. I just got a P2 so Iíll be taking it down soon. I wish we had something on the north shore too, Iím in Gloucester with no car so everything else is to hard to get to.

mtbr member
    ^ you can take the commuter rail (bike allowed on weekends) to north station and then hit up Lynch family skate park and then this. About a five mile ride between the two. Plus now the commuter rail is only $10 for unlimited rides on a weekend

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Notaskitrail View Post
    ^ you can take the commuter rail (bike allowed on weekends) to north station and then hit up Lynch family skate park and then this. About a five mile ride between the two. Plus now the commuter rail is only $10 for unlimited rides on a weekend
    That was my plan. Is lynch the one under the bridge?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes. You can get there by crossing the street in front of the Museum of science, go under the green line. The other way is taking the bike bridge under rt 93. Its pretty cool. Get to it from charlestown sq area.