Wompatuck Ride Featuring Newish NN trails and more: Wompaturkey 2015- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Wompatuck Ride Featuring Newish NN trails and more: Wompaturkey 2015

Hey everyone,

Each year the MassBay Road Club and The Bicycle Link sponors a ride at your own pace event at Wompatuck State Park. Due to a relationship that a race team I have recently joined has with the shop I have volunteered to help set the course and do some trail maintenance. My goal is to set a loop (13-15 mile range) that features many of the new trails in the NN section. I have seen posts on here asking about some of these trails so I wanted to let those know that are unfamiliar with them about the ride. The trails will be marked, there is no cost to attend the ride and you ride at your own pace. There will also be many people around that know the park well and will expand on the ride that is set. Information is below.

18th Annual Mass Bay Road Club
    WOMPATURKEY

MOUNTAIN BIKE POKER RIDE*
    Sunday November 15, 2015
    WOMPATUCK STATE PARK
    HINGHAM, MA
    massbayroadclub.org
    RIDE DETAILS
    Parking, Registration and Start/Finish at the Visitor's Center 0.6296296296296296
    Start at your own pace after registration
    Finish for Poker Prize & Raffle @ 11:00 a.m.

* For those who haven't ridden WompaTurkey in the past, a Poker Ride is a non-competitive, ride-at-your-own-pace mountain bike ride through Wompatuck on a marked 10-15 mile course. Along the way collect 4 chips at designated stops. Turn in the chips at the finish and draw 5 playing cards, best poker hand wins the grand prize Turkey, just in time for Thanksgiving.
    No Entry Fee and MBRC membership is not required to participate.
    MBRC memberships will be available at registration

Coffee and refreshments for your enjoyment
    For more information, or to help out with the ride, contact: Sam
    [email protected]

Wompatuck State Park
    Visitors Center
    204 Union St.
    Hingham, Massachusetts, 02043
    Click Here for Directions/Map

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just a heads up. If anyone is thinking of attending NEMBA will be there offering information and running a 50/50 raffle so bring a few bucks. 100% of proceeds from the raffle will go to NEMBA for their trail work and advocacy projects. Not only will you have the opportunity to win some great prizes, but you can also walk away with a fistful of cash!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I would go but I need a ride there😫

mtbr member
    How was it??

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I had fun. 1st time riding the event. Good bunch of people, pretty varied terrain. I have a feeling people took down some of the course sinage toward the end of the route. Things sort of went from, "THIS WAY!" to "I guess this is close enough" Still lots of fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokee300 View Post
    I had fun. 1st time riding the event. Good bunch of people, pretty varied terrain. I have a feeling people took down some of the course sinage toward the end of the route. Things sort of went from, "THIS WAY!" to "I guess this is close enough" Still lots of fun.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. I had a blast working it and helping put it together. It was a very positive and diverse group of riders that came out and spent the morning with us.

You are correct, people tore down signage. It was beyond frustrating. We marked it in full Saturday morning and then did another full ride through the course to make sure it was laid out appropriately, site lines were clean, etc. A group that knows the event well rode it late Saturday and said it looked great. They got there again at 6:45 Sunday morning and noticed a bunch of markers were gone in the camp ground area and on the south side of the south side of the park back towards the visitor center.

This is an ongoing issue anytime there is a bike event at Wompatuck. At the Landmine classic this year a man was found driving around in his car tearing down signage the day before the race. When confronted he simply said he didn't like mountain biking and wanted to make it an unsuccessful event. I'm sure this was the case last weekend as well. The markings that were missing were in the two areas most easily accessible to individuals in cars or on foot.

I just don't understand some people.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SHowley2003 View Post
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. I had a blast working it and helping put it together. It was a very positive and diverse group of riders that came out and spent the morning with us.

You are correct, people tore down signage. It was beyond frustrating. We marked it in full Saturday morning and then did another full ride through the course to make sure it was laid out appropriately, site lines were clean, etc. A group that knows the event well rode it late Saturday and said it looked great. They got there again at 6:45 Sunday morning and noticed a bunch of markers were gone in the camp ground area and on the south side of the south side of the park back towards the visitor center.

This is an ongoing issue anytime there is a bike event at Wompatuck. At the Landmine classic this year a man was found driving around in his car tearing down signage the day before the race. When confronted he simply said he didn't like mountain biking and wanted to make it an unsuccessful event. I'm sure this was the case last weekend as well. The markings that were missing were in the two areas most easily accessible to individuals in cars or on foot.

I just don't understand some people.
    Such a shame.

What type of person gets off on tearing down trail markers on a Sunday AM? To what end?

I really appreciate all of the effort that went in to organizing the event.

mtbr member
    This happens frequently, unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    This was such a fun event. I ride Wompatuck pretty frequently and it was really nice to see some new trails. I hope to ride more things like this in the future

mtbr member
    Looks like someone isn't happy that the NN15 trail exists. I read reports that it's been strewn with logs, and the entrance over the rock wall has been upended. Sucks that people do sh!t like this.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    My buddy told me about this. I rode Sunday morning and passed through around 825. At 130 my buddy said he had to clear the entrance

Rather uncool

mtbr member
    A few folks have cleaned it up, it's back to normal.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Glad to see the MTB community come together and clean this up. I hope the other users realize that MTBers do this work and it benefits everyone.