• 09-20-2014
    Menachem
    Winter riding around Boston
    For the first time I'm thinking about riding through the winter. About half of it is to keep in shape and spend time outside - and half cause I want a fat bike!!

Anyhow...for those that ride the winter can you offer any basic info on where, how the trails are etc?

Also bike info....

Thanks!
  • 09-21-2014
    car_nut
    Any place that gets a lot of traffic should be good. I'm guessing the Fells falls into that category. LLF in Burlington has usually been quite good. I have similar plans this year and that's where I'll be heading.

Snowmobile trails make for excellent winter biking as well. Probably not a lot of that in Boston, but something to keep in mind for a day trip.
  • 09-21-2014
    Chippertheripper
    Manny, Otis is the joint in the dead of winter.
    It gets enough peeps through it that it stays packed, oftentimes when the rest of mass is getting dumped on, the cape gets zero, or rain, and if it's the latter, the sand there drains really well.

On a weekend morning, there's always a ton of cats there, and those that don't look like they're out training for the next xc championship will usually play tour guide.
  • 09-21-2014
    Menachem
    Winter riding around Boston
    What up chipper!
  • 09-21-2014
    Chippertheripper
    Oh, ya know, just getting super jazzed on bicycles again.
    Probably gonna race some xc next season, so putting some miles in, and making the move (back) to a racier steed.
    In the meantime, spreading cheer and good will.
    You?
  • 09-22-2014
    leeboh
    They plow the MM trail. Also Russel Mill sees lots of traffic.
  • 09-22-2014
    dirtyjack
    It's really weather-dependant. Here on the So Shore we tend to see a lot of thaw/refreeze cycles, so anything that's had a decent amount of traffic is usually rideable.

As Chipper pointed out, the Cape can often be snow-free when the mainland is under snow (although last year it was sometimes opposite). Otis and ToT are good choices.

Wompatuck SP gets a lot of snowmobile traffic so when the snow is deep you can usually get by on the sled tracks which tend to follow the miles of paved roads.

If it's really deep, we break out the snowshoes and pack the trails, then hope for a thaw/refreeze.
  • 09-22-2014
    StiHacka
    I try to ride as much as I can in the Fells in Winter, and in my personal experience, studded tires >> a fat bike there.
  • 10-02-2014
    dundundata
    If u hit up salty streets at all, leave your good/suspension bikes at home!
  • 10-03-2014
    iceboxsteve
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    As Chipper pointed out, the Cape can often be snow-free when the mainland is under snow (although last year it was sometimes opposite). Otis and ToT are good choices.

Yeah! I got more skiing in on cape than I ever imagined I could! Cape is good to ride in snow/mud season, but it typically is normal mountain biking. If you want to fat bike on snow, cape isn't a good choice.