Winter MTB- Mtbr.com

Thread: Winter MTB

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Winter MTB

Hi, Im new to Boston, will be here probably a year. Do you guys ride during winter? Are the forest trails accesible?

BTW: Any enduro trail recommendations to start getting used to the area?

Thanks for the help!

EAT MORE GRIME
    yes and yes

most of us go fatbike and most of us ride all damn year fatbiking or head to snowmobile trails. lake dennison has awesome stuff for mass snowmobile trails

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Does not work with "regular" bikes? I am deciding if I buy something or not...

EAT MORE GRIME
    it works with regular bikes fine

fatbikes just allow
    a) less beating when riding frozen footprints and
    b) more float when snow conditions allow it

there will always be snow that no bike can ride in, and there is always a winter where skinny tires do fine in the woods. but fatbikes are 'season proof' that is, they will ride on more types of snow, and in the melty seasons, they don't wreck soft wet soil as bad as skinny tires

so, do whatcha want. but many of us saved the coin for fatbikes as an additional bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pato Rojas View Post
    Hi, Im new to Boston, will be here probably a year. Do you guys ride during winter? Are the forest trails accesible?

Thanks for the help!
    Where exactly? Lots of great trails around everywhere. Some of the DCR properties have a March ban, but that is usually for mud season. Enduro? Most of New England has chunky rocks, big and small. What you looking for in a trail?

Just a flesh wound
    There is tons of riding. Wompatuck is open year round. The Cape is almost always snow free, but sometimes not.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

Who are the brain police?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pato Rojas View Post

Thanks for the help!
    In Boston proper or North/South/East of the city? There's lots of places to ride massachusetts | NEMBA

I don't have a fat bike and ride all year but not when the snow is ridiculous. Otis at the base of the Cape usually doesn't get snow and with the salt and sandy soil, the snow goes away from there pretty quickly.

Are you used to riding in the cold? It's part art, part science getting the clothing right.

The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mdc
    mtbr member
    I've never had a fat bike and can usually ride all winter. In my opinion fat bikes don't allow you to magically ride on top of a foot of new fallen snow, but they can help if that snow has been packed by snowmobiles etc. I got a 29+ bike last year and have NO problem keeping up with the fat bikers on winter rides.

As stated above- invest in quality cold weather gear ESPECIALLY gloves and shoes.

Regarding enduro trails- Diamond Hill in Cumberland RI is awesome, as is Vietnam in Milford Mass. I would also HIGHLY suggest a trip out to Thunder Mountain for lift access. They have hit the nail on the head for creating a fun mountain filled with a wide variety of terrain that is both fun and challenging. don't hesitate- just go!

Just a flesh wound
    In that arena, I also suggest Highlands in NH for some great lift served. One hour and 20 minutes from Boston if you drive 80.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Most peeps ride snowmobile trails. Any bike will work but fat bikes are a little more fun because of the traction and stability..
    Paul
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

*n00b*
    I just got a 27.5+ and I'm thinking I'm going to try some snow riding this year. I'm around Leominster State Forest and the 495/rt 2 wedge..

mtbr member
    Are most people on fat bikes running studs or no studs? I just moved here from Co and didn't use studs there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Do people ride HP with fat bikes when it is snow covered? I am curious about getting a fatbike. I need to unload a 27.5+ bike first. Too many bikes right now.

Technical trails with snow should be interesting.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian View Post
    Do people ride HP with fat bikes when it is snow covered? I am curious about getting a fatbike. I need to unload a 27.5+ bike first. Too many bikes right now.

people ride fatbikes everywhere you normally MTB...except groomed CX ski trails because that would be dickish

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowork View Post
    Are most people on fat bikes running studs or no studs? I just moved here from Co and didn't use studs there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I run studs once the snow flies. For the whole winter. MA sees lots of freeze thaw and mixed precip. Lots depending on the winter. Great for frozen ponds as well. I would say most people, ( I'm 20 miles North of Boston) run studs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

What's this too many thing? Ever heard of n+1? Yup, HP year round. Not charging for parking during the winter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Studs only when rocks getting ice covers as traction w studs on rocks and roots is so so. But a must later in the snow season especially on trails that get lots of sun. That being said I try to ride my regular bike for as long as possible, then the fat w no studs before putting studs on. As other said the fat is great on snowy trails that have tons of half frozen or frozen footprints. Smooth ride. Also rollers and drops onto snow covered transitions are better with the fat as less likely to loose the front.

if you are looking for more rowdy trails join us for a lynn woods ride. A must.

mtbr member
    May 2004

There has been a small crew that has been trying to pack out yellow diamond loop and vicinity in the past. Sometimes it's really good, but walkers can posthole it quickly. If you want to help, I'm sure that would be welcome. Thing that's nice with a fatbike is all the chunk gets filled, so it can become less technical in some ways. Skinny tires (not sure with plus) tend to carve up the track and churn things up in some conditions. That said years ago, people rode all winter without fatbikes.

There are a number of places now that you can rent a fatty at a groomed trail system (KT et al.) to see if it's for you.

mtbr member
    This thread is very helpful.

I have some good cold weather gear but I'm going with a 20F cut off.

I have three 27.5+ bikes. One hardtail and two full squish. All 2016 bikes. The Cannondale Bad Habit 1 will never get ridden again by me. Would be ideal to trade for a Fat Bike of similar value.

mtbr member
    On the next ballot we need a referendum to either deport or kill anyone who post holes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ^^^ Hear what you are saying, however, the trails are open to all year round. Maybe some signs that say fat tires, skis or snowshoes preferred.

mtbr member
    Ive never used studs and I ride a fatty and my SS 29er in the snow.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM