Winnekenni Park- Mtbr.com

Thread: Winnekenni Park

30 something dad

Winnekenni Park

Has anyone checked out the trails at Winnekenni Park in Haverhill? Doesn't look like a place that's worth driving to, but if it's convenient, maybe a good after work ride? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have been up there a couple of times and to me is not worth driving to (45 minutes away) but it is ok for an after work ride or early season conditioning.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Winnekenni isnít huge (allegedly 700 acres), but there are a lot of trails, including two sections of super twisty single track totaling about 1.5 miles, most of it on the side of a hill that wraps around on itself several times, and a Ĺ mile long access road hill at about 5% - not very steep but with washouts and very soft spots. I managed to string together a point to point route about 6.8 miles that only uses one short section of fire road twice. If you go one way, then turn around and ride it the other direction, you get a reasonably technical 13 mile workout that takes just under 90 minutes with about 1200 feet of climbing, most of it in little 50í rises, not including the ride to and from the park. Itís usually sparsely populated enough so you can really push the effort and not have to worry about other park users.

Once you get the lay of the land, you can head northeast behind the college NECC and follow a fire road over to Millvale reservoir, and loop around it. That extension involves on paved road crossing, and another about 1/4 mile of pavement depending on the level of the water in the reservoir. That trip adds 45 minutes or so to the stuff in winnekenni park.

If you're local, it's a good place to ride, not too hard, and even if you stay within the park you can get a solid 90 minutes of hard fun riding, but nothing to horribly technical. I don't know that I would make it a destination point more than once a year, but it's a fun casual place to ride, good stuff for beginners to cut their teeth on, and good for experts to do a quick 'maintenance' ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0