Willowdale- Mtbr.com

Thread: Willowdale

mtbr member

Willowdale

Anyone rec a loop for a first time at Willowdale?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    there are about a half dozen entry points into willowdale. linebrook road, pineswamp road & several entry points on topsfield road. download a map at http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails.htm

the trails are numbered but not all are marked. best bet is to go in at topsfield road and hook in with someone. if you are out there alone and with no trail map it can be a bit daunting

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Bring a compass and a Map. Stopdropnroll is right, download that map. I got lost in there last year for a while as alot of trails arent marked and I did cirlces... Bring a compass for sure and look for others.
    Lynn Woods:yikes:
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Yep, I always bring at least the dcr maps and always have my android phone so if I get lost I can usually find my way home. I was going to go today but the heat and t-storms forecasted may change my mind to tomorrow.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by basso4735 View Post
    Yep, I always bring at least the dcr maps and always have my android phone so if I get lost I can usually find my way home. I was going to go today but the heat and t-storms forecasted may change my mind to tomorrow.
    I woudn't go in there with a Droid bro.. iPhone maybe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    the terrain is pretty much the same no matter which loop you do. sweet rolling singletrack. non technical

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula View Post
    I woudn't go in there with a Droid bro.. iPhone maybe.

Most likely heading there tomorrow.

mtbr member
    I used my droid and the app "MyTracks" to record a loop at Willowdale. You can see the map here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    wow, that is a big loop. how long did it take you? mileage?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Drop N Roll View Post
    wow, that is a big loop. how long did it take you? mileage?
    if you click on the last link that said end the stats come up and it was 10.9 miles and took 2 hours. i had clocked stuff with my phone and they are always off alot i would probably add two miles to that ride i bet.... i have done 13 miles rides on my speedo on my bike which i know is right and the iphone will say like 10.5 or 11

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    what a goon i am. i see it now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by connolm View Post
    I used my droid and the app "MyTracks" to record a loop at Willowdale. You can see the map here.
    Awesome, thanks! I use MyTracks as well, its a great app. Didnt make it over there today, hopefully tomorrow.

mtbr member
    The main loop, or variations of it - is not really marked well. Almost all the singletrack is NOT on the DCR map... but, the intersections are frequent enough to catch a bearing once in a while.

Best bet is to simply ride, explore, and forget about too much pre-planning. Bring a map for reference - but don't worry about it other than to find your way home.

Here's a map from a few weeks ago, leading up to the XC race out there:

Note that one of the sweetest sections of singletrack is between marker #25 and #27 (not on any of the tracks shown either), to the south of the dirt road. If you go counter-clockwise, you'd hit it to the left - then pop out on the same road again, go a few feet, and head into the woods on he right - JUST before marker #27.

That's one of DOZENS of sweet spots!

Also - the purple "double oops" section is awesome - great trails, but ended up not being in the race.
    Last edited by glenzx; 06-13-2011 at 03:24 AM.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Reviving thread ...........

Anyone has a ride uploaded on Garmin Connect or any site that can be downloaded to a Forerunner 305? Want to follow a route someone already did.

2009 Giant Trance X3
    2010 Giant Trance X2

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So I know it's an old thread but was wondering if anyone knew how well the ns nemba is with non-member riders showing up? I am just starting out again and was going to go tomorrow to the Willowdale ride.

mtbr member
    flipped - No problem with non-members attending. No ride at Willowdale tomorrow though. We have a meeting and ride scheduled for tomorrow at Harold Parker. There is more info here if anyone would like to attend.
    We'll be back at Willowdale next week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How are the trails and pace for a newb? I live pretty close to HP but haven't gone due to it saying intermediate.

mtbr member
    If you're asking about the meeting ride tomorrow, it will be paced for all ride levels. The trails we'll be riding are actually Ward Reservation not HP as I mistakenly said in my earlier post. The single track there is mostly not too difficult although there are a couple good climbs.