Willowdale [oo]<- Mtbr.com
    Tool

Willowdale [oo]<

Winter riding around here just doesn't get much better. This was shot on Monday. Hopefully the music and synchronized edits will keep the solo pov footage from being too terribly boring, but at least you've been warned:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/36420221?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="768" height="432" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

cash money
    right on! weeping willow NECS this may!
    I work at a bike shop. Trek, Gt, fuji, DB, etc...

2012 Trek Superfly 100 al pro-sold
    Soon to be 2014 trek slash 8

Tool
    Indeed! Hoping for some slightly drier trail conditions this year, as well as a rear rim that will hold a tire for the entire race.

cash money
    Hahaha last year was cold, cloudy, and rained like all day the day before hahaha. Those roots and rocks were nasty, remember a fire road w/ over a foot of water, and everybody just had to get off their bike and run it up one paticular hill I remember. Racing sport this year, so that's 20 miles of willow compared to 10 in novice last year. Going to be a killer, the 10 was hard enough, but the conditions sure didn't help. Neither did the hardtail. Hahaha

I want to say that last year willow wasn't the first NECS race like it is this year...

aka Gumbo
    Apr 2006
    Very nice - thanks for sharing. Is this where the "Weeping Willow" EFTA race is?

cash money
    Yep, willowdale state forest

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Map

Great trail. Do you have the map of this trail or a link where to find it? Tough to navigate in this place. Thank you

Tool
    Here is the best map I've seen of some of the singlertack there. Willowdale is a bit of a tricky place to navigate at first, but once you are on this loop it is not too hard to follow. Many times the singletrack continues just on the opposite side of the fire road intersection, but other times you may have to follow the fire road a little ways. Fortunately, there is enough bike traffic that if you just follow the bulk of the bike tracks you'll be able to find the next singletrack entrance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    looks like a good trail, i'll have to go try it someday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    This video makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong in Willowdale, I can't seem to find any decent lengths of singletrack....and end up frustrated on the fire road. I'll have to check that map out!

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by mtripps View Post
    This video makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong in Willowdale, I can't seem to find any decent lengths of singletrack....and end up frustrated on the fire road. I'll have to check that map out!
    You'll find it pretty easy once you can get on the loop in the map. There is at least 12-15 miles of singletrack in there, and depending on your route, the furthest you'd have to go on any fire road is about a half mile. It is normal to feel lost and frustrated. It took me several rides there before I started to know my way around.

Do note there is also one killer singletrack that I'm aware of across the street in Bradley-Palmer. It's not so easy to describe how to find, however. It is in the northeast part of the park, and you definitely want to hit it in the downhill direction. I found it by going straight up the hill after crossing the river from Willowdale. When you reach the field at the top of the hill, stay left. Continue up this fire road for about a mile until you come to a >90degree left that heads fairly steeply uphill (you will see horse jumps on this path which only occupies a small part of the wide swath cut for our equine friends). Look for the next intersection on the left (I'm guessing about 500' from the top of the hill), take it, and stay left to enter the singletrack. Enjoy the rip.

If anyone knows of other singletrack in BP, please do share. I spent some time looking around there, but the one singletrack was all I found.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the tip, I'll give it another go soon!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

New map!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilyam3 View Post
    Great trail. Do you have the map of this trail or a link where to find it? Tough to navigate in this place. Thank you
    Just rode there for the second time yesterday, basically meandered my way around the east side until I found the singletrack, which forms a pretty much continuous loop, all the way around the park. Ended up being 13+ miles. I overlaid the .gpx track over the state park map and saved it online HERE if anyone wants to use it. I was trying to follow the map posted above with the red/green/blue trails, but it seemed like it was mostly fire roads, so I strayed, and had way more fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Any chance you can post the GPS file?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtripps View Post
    Any chance you can post the GPS file?
    Sure, here- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63047784/Willowdale.gpx

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks phipsi102!

Members who have read this thread: 0