Why do people in Holliston hate cyclists?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Why do people in Holliston hate cyclists?

I do a lot of traveling for work and I always bring my bike. And I think I have found the most bike unfriendly place ever, Holliston MA. I am in Milford for training and I was riding my Cyclocross on the Upper Charles trail and at Wenakeening Woods. I also rode on some streets in Holliston. All the drivers were honking, yelling out the window or rolling their eyes at me. And I wasn't riding in the middle of the road like some jerk. I have never experienced so much hatred from so many drivers in 30 years of riding. So is it just not cool to ride in the road there, some kind of unwritten rule or something?
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Wearing a jets jersey? Welcome to the land of m******* drivers. I commute regularly from Wilmington to Brighton, nothing surprises me anymore.

mtbr member
    Once you get to know them they're really nice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    You must've been doing something that was interpreted as "wrong". I drive around that area (and all of central/eastern MA) all day everyday 6 days a week due to my job and have never seen "ALL" of the cars beeping and yelling at bikers. That being said, I am a cyclist myself and I'll admit to having beeped and yelled at a few riders and groups of riders over the years. Literally every time has been due to them riding in the middle of the road though... And you said you weren't doing that... This past friday I was working in framingham and came up behind a team of cyclists in their matching kits riding in the middle of the lane as if they were cars... At first I was like "ok... no big deal, they'll move once they realize I'm behind them". We were on a back road with a posted speed limit of 35 or 40. A few of the guys looked back and saw me and instead of moving they started pedaling faster as if that would help... As I was following them I looked down at my speedometer... 19mph.... Unfortunately I was actually working that day and had real commitments in the form of clients waiting on me so I could not afford to wait for these clowns to move. I gave a few beeps... No response... Still in the middle of the lane. That left me with only one option, pass them in a safe manner. Unfortunately for the team, the truck I was driving BELCHES black smoke whenever you accelerate hard. I sort of felt bad watching the entire team disappear in a massive cloud of black smoke behind me... But at the same time, if I was riding like a moron and someone had important business to deal with I would expect them to do exactly the same thing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Were you on a road bike? I hear people hate those things.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shredjekyll View Post
    You must've been doing something that was interpreted as "wrong". I drive around that area (and all of central/eastern MA) all day everyday 6 days a week due to my job and have never seen "ALL" of the cars beeping and yelling at bikers. That being said, I am a cyclist myself and I'll admit to having beeped and yelled at a few riders and groups of riders over the years. Literally every time has been due to them riding in the middle of the road though... And you said you weren't doing that... This past friday I was working in framingham and came up behind a team of cyclists in their matching kits riding in the middle of the lane as if they were cars... At first I was like "ok... no big deal, they'll move once they realize I'm behind them". We were on a back road with a posted speed limit of 35 or 40. A few of the guys looked back and saw me and instead of moving they started pedaling faster as if that would help... As I was following them I looked down at my speedometer... 19mph.... Unfortunately I was actually working that day and had real commitments in the form of clients waiting on me so I could not afford to wait for these clowns to move. I gave a few beeps... No response... Still in the middle of the lane. That left me with only one option, pass them in a safe manner. Unfortunately for the team, the truck I was driving BELCHES black smoke whenever you accelerate hard. I sort of felt bad watching the entire team disappear in a massive cloud of black smoke behind me... But at the same time, if I was riding like a moron and someone had important business to deal with I would expect them to do exactly the same thing.
    Please learn to share the roads. Bikes have the same rights as cars, except on limited access highways. So what is easier to pass, 10 bikes in one line or a 2x5 group? And allow enough driving time so you are not driving like all the other idiots. Oh wait, too late They slowed you down by how much? 10 seconds, 30 seconds? While I don't road ride in packs, I commute and sometimes it is safer for me to take the lane. Like on a 20-25 mph road that is like 8' wide. And you rolled coal on other bikers? Everyone has important stuff to do work, business etc. And everyone's time is important. And learn to share the road. And Chillax.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Please learn to share the roads. Bikes have the same rights as cars, except on limited access highways. So what is easier to pass, 10 bikes in one line or a 2x5 group? And allow enough driving time so you are not driving like all the other idiots. Oh wait, too late They slowed you down by how much? 10 seconds, 30 seconds? While I don't road ride in packs, I commute and sometimes it is safer for me to take the lane. Like on a 20-25 mph road that is like 8' wide. And you rolled coal on other bikers? Everyone has important stuff to do work, business etc. And everyone's time is important. And learn to share the road. And Chillax.
    Try 5+ minutes... I was sitting and patiently waiting for them to move which never happened. Also, I don't schedule my appointments. I am given a route with specific times on it that I must adhere to... If I am late the clients I am meeting with are often pissed off or gone since they have "important stuff to do"... The issue is that a lot of bikers seem to expect everyone else to cater to their "ride times". Obviously I wish I had more free time so I could be riding with the group instead of driving behind them but I work 60+ hours a week and have a full college course load so time is precious... I just don't see what is so hard about riding on the line or outside the line... That is what I ALWAYS do and I NEVER have issues. Never been beeped at, never been yelled at, nothing. I do understand your points though.

EAT MORE GRIME
    been a roadie a long time myself, if cars are behind the group must single file.

if not, after enough time 5-6 telephone poles...bike group r dix

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    been a roadie a long time myself, if cars are behind the group must single file.

if not, after enough time 5-6 telephone poles...bike group r dix
    I agree with this 100%. Bikes are vehicles and have the same rights, but also must follow the same laws (speed, pedestrians, intersections, etc). If you were on a street with a posted speed limit of 40 and someone was driving there car at 18-19 how patient would you be?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHowley2003 View Post
    If you were on a street with a posted speed limit of 40 and someone was driving there car at 18-19 how patient would you be?
    Not very patient. Especially if the driver was wearing Oakley's and a neon spandex body suit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shredjekyll View Post
    Try 5+ minutes... I was sitting and patiently waiting for them to move which never happened. Also, I don't schedule my appointments. I am given a route with specific times on it that I must adhere to... If I am late the clients I am meeting with are often pissed off or gone since they have "important stuff to do"... The issue is that a lot of bikers seem to expect everyone else to cater to their "ride times". Obviously I wish I had more free time so I could be riding with the group instead of driving behind them but I work 60+ hours a week and have a full college course load so time is precious... I just don't see what is so hard about riding on the line or outside the line... That is what I ALWAYS do and I NEVER have issues. Never been beeped at, never been yelled at, nothing. I do understand your points though.
    5 minutes? Ouch, that's not right. Seems like they could have scooted right when a good line of sight opened up. Also some courtesy was lacking. I'm unranting with humbleness.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SHowley2003 View Post
    I agree with this 100%. Bikes are vehicles and have the same rights, but also must follow the same laws (speed, pedestrians, intersections, etc). If you were on a street with a posted speed limit of 40 and someone was driving there car at 18-19 how patient would you be?
    MA law allows 2 abreast. Sometimes it is easier to pass a 2x5 group than a 1x10 group. Bikes are not required to do the posted speed limit and are allowed to take the lane. I think sharing and courtesy were lacking in this example. In my case, on a very narrow back road, the safest way for me to pedal is to take the lane. Posted 20 mph, curves with substandard road width, like 8 ft. No room for the car and bike to share the lane. And blind corners.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    MA law allows 2 abreast. Sometimes it is easier to pass a 2x5 group than a 1x10 group. Bikes are not required to do the posted speed limit and are allowed to take the lane. I think sharing and courtesy were lacking in this example. In my case, on a very narrow back road, the safest way for me to pedal is to take the lane. Posted 20 mph, curves with substandard road width, like 8 ft. No room for the car and bike to share the lane. And blind corners.
    In that case, if you're taking the lane and end up with a line of cars behind you that you know you're holding up, why in the world wouldn't anyone with a shred of common courtesy just pull off to the side and let the cars pass at a safe spot? Sure, legally you don't HAVE to, but it takes quite a d-bag not to IMO.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm my case, I'm doing the speed limit. Usually not too many cars and there are several strait sections to pass if needed. I don't run into too many roadie groups while driving, but I can see how drivers might get peeved.

banned
    Sep 2008
    ha! i married into a boat load of hollistoninians. good solid peeps so long as you don't get them fired up, then watch out! we get along famously

just swear back at em and flip em off at will. they love that $hit.