Where else can I ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Where else can I ride?

I got my bike (29er hardtail) beginning of August last year, and have been mostly riding at Great Brook, Beaver Brook, and Stow Town Forest. I just started riding at Landlocked Forest, and have enjoyed that place a lot. Not too rocky and rooty, and I like how many curves are in the trails. Other than that log on the east side of the yellow trail (still can't lift up my wheel enough to even try), I've been able to handle most of it.

Today I had my first ride at Russell Mill. Besides some small sections of the blue and green trails, it was way too technical for my current ability. I also did about half of the orange trail (used the cut through). I walked (up, down, over) a lot more than I would like to admit.

I've been interested in trying out The Fells and Harold Parker, but I don't know if I'm up for those yet. I'm looking at the easy trail for Wicked Ride of the East at Harold Parker, and it looks like most of it is on fire roads. Then I hear the singletrack trails (Yellow Diamond and BCT) are rather technical and difficult. Is there anything in between?

Then for The Fells, I understand that bikes can only go on the orange and MTB loop trails. I don't know how difficult they are, but they seem to be rather long. Not sure I can handle 8 miles yet, I tend to do about 5. And the problem is that there's no way to cut through to make a shorter ride.

So what are The Fells and Harold Parker like? Can I handle it yet?

Wanna Ride Bikes?
    Jun 2014
    Try Willowdale, you can enter from Ipswich or Topsfield.
    Lots of good smooth trails there. But print out a map to bring with you, easy to get turned around otherwise.
    I love the place!
    Hold my beer and watch this!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    You can check out NEMBA's website for info and directions but along with Willowdale you may like Adams Farm or Stow town forest; smaller than Willowdale . If you found RM challenging you may not enjoy HP or the Fells.

With that said, riding technical trails will help you ride technical trails, even if you have to dismount.

mtbr member
    2nd (or 3rd?) for Willowdale and Bradley Palmer. Willowdale in particular has a smart setup. The single-track meanders around double-track, so when you've had enough, you can bail out on the double-track at nearly any point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    On Monday nights NEMBA hosts a skills clinic/ride that is free and open to anybody at Russell Mill. They often split into beginner and advanced groups.

I'd stay away from HP till you can handle RM.
    My MTB themed graphic tees:
    https://www.mteeb.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    I'd stay away from HP till you can handle RM.
    I assume this statement doesn't apply to the fire roads, right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    +1 on HP being rather full of tech and rocks. NS Nemba does a beginner ride Monday nights @ Willowdale. Greater Boston does some easier rides in belmont too.

mtbr member
    Adams Farm in Walpole is the perfect place for you. Constant twisting trails with no killer climbs. And fairly smooth with good flow. I did 11 miles in there yesterday with very little repeat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Second Adams farm or Willowdale.

The fells is rocky and rooty, but generally the technical stuff comes in small bites. The rest is pretty rideable, and all the fireroad is legal to ride so you can always bail (that's said, much of the fireroad is pretty tech as well!) I'd stick to the mtb loop (green) as orange has some pretty technical sections.

If a loop is too long you can always do it as an out-and-back, and keep going until you can do it as a loop!

Willowdale is a hoot, I love tech but had a blast my first and only time there last weekend. Heck, I'm heading back this weekend if I can! Just watch out for beach traffic.