where does the snow stop- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

where does the snow stop

i live on the cape and all the places i usually ride that are kinda close i.e. tot, otis, wompy, borderland are all snow covered. not totally sure about borderland and wompy but i would be pretty sure they have to much snow for riding. my questions is does anybody have a place that they ride that isn't completely snow covered right now. i have ridden vietnam from time to time and have no idea if they got alot of snow up that way or not, or maybe foxboro doesn't have much snow? either way if you know a place that i can ride post up here. i have no problem driving a little bit to ride.

thanks,
    adam

DeForest Stump
    There's just a light covering here in the northeast corner of R.I. According to this map, the Ct/ R.I. border is snow free. That means Arcadia is the place to go. Bit of a haul for you though. What day are you looking to ride?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails where does the snow stop-capture11.jpg  

mtbr member
    Arcadia and Big River are indeed snow free.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    arcadia looks like alot of fun... about 2 hours from me. if this was during the summer and i had my legs underneath me i would be there in a second but i am only good for about an hour and a half so that is a tough drive for only a little riding. i think my driving limit is anywhere within an hour.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

what about Foxboro?

I also live on the Cape and I'm wondering about Foxboro. My research shows it has probably 5 inches. but not really sure.
    I might go to the berkshires for a couple days

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Foxboro has about 4" right now. i live less than 5min away.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Late March Early April!
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Looks like we're going to get blasted pretty hard tomorrow night into Monday. Get a good ride in tomorrow morning before the snow hits

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    yup more snow on the way so i think a snowless ride is out of the question... where are the good places to go that the trails get alot of traffic and get a nice layer of hardpacked stuff to ride on?

!snotrocket!
    lower cape got missed. I rode nickerson the morning, kind of slushy and crusty in spots but, plenty of clear trail. not the best conditions but, I'd be willing to bet it's some of the only snow free trails in the north east.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rottendan
    lower cape got missed. I rode nickerson the morning, kind of slushy and crusty in spots but, plenty of clear trail. not the best conditions but, I'd be willing to bet it's some of the only snow free trails in the north east.
    Thanks for the post.....Nickerson it is tomorrow I'm quessing Trail of Tears and Otis are unrideable then?
    Last edited by JSumner13; 12-27-2010 at 01:04 PM.

the giant.
    we just got 18+ inches over in western mass. i wish i was over in brewster right now (i cant wait until my family vacation sweet water campground)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rottendan
    Keep us posted on how the Cape trails are. I have the week off and was hoping to get a bunch of riding in but my area (the other cape) got blasted with snow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hmmm. I guess since I'm not working this week I'll risk going to Nickerson. I never ever ride there but have.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I doubt TOT will be ridable but I'm going running there right now. sometimes conditions can be very different btwn Otis, TOT and Nickerson.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i am going to take a drive down to otis tommorow and take a look around and see if it is rideable or not.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know how Willow Street in Yarmouth is?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

!snotrocket!
    I had some time today and I wanted to find out the conditions around the cape. based on how that storm tracked I figured the the bulk of the snow fall was to the west so, I headed to otis. on the ride up cape I noticed that the "snow line" was clearly around Dennis, and from there to Barnstable looked pretty consistent about 4-6 in. Sandwich to Falmouth was more 6+.
    otis was pretty much as I figured it would be. 6-8 in. with a 3in. layer of styrofoam like crust on top. good stuff for the pugs as long as you kept moving. I did a short loop from the hunters lot to graveyard to starwars to the ridgeline, halfpipe on back to the truck. if this stuff gets packed out (hikers,x-c ski,snow shoes, bikes) I bet it'll be good to go as long as the temps stay cold.
    as for clear trails head to nickerson. I stopped through there on my way home and there are snowy spots maybe an inch or two but, for the most part the are frozen and ready to rip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails where does the snow stop-dsc00350.jpg  

where does the snow stop-dsc00367.jpg  

where does the snow stop-dsc00363.jpg  

where does the snow stop-dsc00371.jpg  

where does the snow stop-dsc00372.jpg  

mtbr member
    A few from Nickerson Today....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails where does the snow stop-picture-1434.jpg  

where does the snow stop-picture-1438.jpg  

where does the snow stop-picture-1431.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice conditions - thanks for the pics. Anyone plan on riding Nickerson within the next few days?

I'd love to go, but don't know the place, and would hate to drive close to 2 hours each way just to fumble about once I get there,

mtbr member
    I stopped at TOT today and decided it was unrideable. So I went on out to Nickerson. There was basically no snow on the ground there when I got there ~1:30PM.

I fumbled about for as while trying to find trails and then finally lucked out. I rode in back behind the Fire Tower and was able to find a whole lotta singletrack.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Sounds great, looks like I will be headed to Nickerson tomorrow. I have never been there before so hopefully I can find some enjoyable stuff. Wompy also has a few trails that have been packed down by snowmobilers and they are very rideable if anyone wants to get enjoy some white double track.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Had a great day of riding at Nickerson yesterday. Got in a solid 2.5 hours of solid trail conditions. This was my first time riding there, so thanks to Collolm for mentioning that he found trails behind the fire tower, that advice was more than helpful.

RottenDan, how often do you end up taking the Pugsley out? I have wanted one for years, but by the time I decide to think seriously about it, the thaw is upon us.

mtbr member
    I tried Willowdale and the Middlesex Fells today, New Year's Eve. They were both snow covered and un-rideable. I was hoping there would be a packed-down track. No such luck.

In fact, both had cross-country ski tracks on the trail. My understanding is that it's bad form to walk or ride on those.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode Nickerson Yesterday also. forgot about it until I read this post. there's never a reason for me to ride there except snow problems. I started from Freemans way where the athletic fields are. Haven't been here in 5-6 yrs but I did really well finding great single track. I can't remember trails at all but I actually found my way back without much trouble. trail conditions were excellent with some snowy areas to make riding even better. Wish it was going to be much colder this wknd.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I agree, had it not been for the snow I would not have ventured that far south. That being said I am glad to know there is somewhere to consider when the winter tries to impact my time on the trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    tried riding in plymouth today and it was very difficult, just to much snow, i more or less just took my bike for a little walk there were no cut trails and i was pretty much the only marks out there.

as far as nickerson goes if i had to hit up one section that was super fun where would it be? i plan on going there tommorrow sometime, might even plan to go at like four and make it a half night ride with my new lights.

Nostralpicas
    We should have a decent group heading out from the bike rental lot tomorrow at 9am,Cleared a lot of downed tree's yesterday,
    All work and no play makes "and all no work play"

!snotrocket!
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonBoy
    Had a great day of riding at Nickerson yesterday. Got in a solid 2.5 hours of solid trail conditions. This was my first time riding there, so thanks to Collolm for mentioning that he found trails behind the fire tower, that advice was more than helpful.

RottenDan, how often do you end up taking the Pugsley out? I have wanted one for years, but by the time I decide to think seriously about it, the thaw is upon us.
    hey boston glad to hear you found your way around the park. I got the pugs because I live out here on cape cod which is pretty much a sand bar and the winter is my free time to ride. that being said I love the bike and ride it every chance I get.

GunMerchant
    Sep 2009
    Hey Dang....
    I have to drive close to 3 hours to get to Nick, but I love it there and Willow street is sweet too. Mayby you could help me out with a little more detail on the snow. How deep were the snow spots at Nickerson? Were there many spots too deep to ride through? About how many percent of the trails would you say had the snow?
    Thanks for your time!
    B-Rad

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by B Rad
    Hey Dang....
    I have to drive close to 3 hours to get to Nick, but I love it there and Willow street is sweet too. Mayby you could help me out with a little more detail on the snow. How deep were the snow spots at Nickerson? Were there many spots too deep to ride through? About how many percent of the trails would you say had the snow?
    Thanks for your time!
    B-Rad
    I rode Nickerson a couple of days ago, and found minimal snow. All trails I came across were rideable, and the only accumulated snow I saw was in small chunks up in the camp ground area. If you want to ride, you do not have to worry about the now there at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by B Rad
    Hey Dang....
    Thanks for your time!
    B-Rad

road there today and i didn't see any snow on the trails at all...

Just a flesh wound

It ends before Nick

Rode Nickerson today. Worth the ride for sure! No snow and the twisty, flowy singletrack was a treat!

Wompatuck is my home turf (still too snowy), and Nickerson is totally different.

We went to ToT to start, but it was too snowy, so the 4 of us kept going to Nickerson. Two mountain biking women were returning just as we were ready to go and they steered us in the right direction. We had a good 2+ hours of fun. If they hadn't given us some inside information, we would have been lost in paved bike path land!

I need to get a bootleg trail map that shows the good stuff. The DCR map is almost useless.

The warm weather will re-open Wompy soon and I'll post up after a night ride tomorrow or the next night (snow willing).
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio
    Rode Nickerson today. Worth the ride for sure! No snow and the twisty, flowy singletrack was a treat!

Wompatuck is my home turf (still too snowy), and Nickerson is totally different.

We went to ToT to start, but it was too snowy, so the 4 of us kept going to Nickerson. Two mountain biking women were returning just as we were ready to go and they steered us in the right direction. We had a good 2+ hours of fun. If they hadn't given us some inside information, we would have been lost in paved bike path land!

I need to get a bootleg trail map that shows the good stuff. The DCR map is almost useless.

The warm weather will re-open Wompy soon and I'll post up after a night ride tomorrow or the next night (snow willing).
    i felt the same exact way, for the first hour i could hardly find any good trails and everyone i did ended up going through some campsite within seconds.. then i found some riders parked at a lot and they told me to head to the ruth pond area and it got much better. from what i rode that is pretty much the area you want to just keep on zig zagging through the stuff to the left of the pond. people always mention buffed out single track but when you ride nickerson that is actually what they mean by flowy buffed out single track. not many rocks or roots to speak of and just like a roller coaster...

mtbr member
    Hey Adumb....you on the orange hardtail? If so it was me that you bumped into at the boat ramp lot. Glad you ended up finding some good stuff. We ended up doing about 22 miles today. We're not going to get many more day's like this in January!

mtbr member
    I live in Dennis and will be riding on Tuesday A.M.
    I am not familiar with the trails, so could someone tell me where the trailhead is in realation to the bike rental lot?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yea that was me. Wish I ran into u guys earlier I was just about needing to head out when I saw you. THe miles can rack up fast there if u know where the singletrack is. Do you happen to have a gps map of what u rode.. The area u sent me to was cool thanks for the tip

mtbr member
    I don't have a GPS map from today but I got to know where all the good singletrack is by doing a Garmin Connect search for Nickerson mountain bike rides.

Here's the link:

http://connect.garmin.com/explore#ac...&currentPage=1

Just reference the GPS tracks you see here with the DCR map and you'll get an idea where the good stuff is

Some of the good stuff is around Keeler's Pond, north of Higgin's Pond, loop around Flax Pond (pretty techy actually), behind the fire tower, the Ruth Pond area, everything north of Silas Rd. among other spots.

mtbr member
    I'm off this Thursday, Nickerson is about a 90 minute drive for me. Never been there before but if it's snow free it's worth the trip. Was hoping that T.of T. would be rideable by now but sounds like it's still got a lot of snow.

I'm good at crashing
    Road Nickerson yesterday(sunday) it was great...no snow on nay trails we hit...spent a couple hours just flying down the trails near the fire tower and out the backs of the camp grounds...great time. If you like some good techy downhill that is fast with a lot of small quick 2-3 foot drops...go to campsite 63 and ride through the back of it...very nice...at good speed takes about 40 seconds to decend but super fun with two good drops..basically they seem to be run offs...but real fun and super fast...no brakes from top to bottom.

Prophet...were you at Nick Sunday morning? I thought I saw your Saab there a few spots down from mine. My wife went hiking in Wompy yesterday while I was on the cape and she said the trails are still snow covered...we did ride Wompy last Sunday during the storm, and got some good HD go-pro vid...fun ride...but the hour and half ride to Nick was well worth it. Just sucks pushing a 40lb. bike back up the downhills after a blazing run down.

!snotrocket!
    an easy way to find your way around the park is to use the 4 main ponds as a loop. drive in the park entrance and fallow the main road till you get to the fisherman landing (just past the fire tower). from there you want to find the single track at the right end of the parking lot.
    this is big cliff pond, work your way around counter clockwise. these pond trails will put out on beaches, just sniff your way around to find the biked in lines that will lead you to the next trail. next you will come across little cliff pond trail. just keep the shore line to you left and enjoy, this is a super fun pice of trail. you will come to jct. point at the end of this marked by a brown steel gate. from there you should see higgins pond, st is to the left of the beach. fallow this till you get to a fire road. left on the fire road and fallow this to your second st on the right. this will lead you out to another fire road, left again to frist st on right. this is lleading you out to keeler pond and flax pond. all good stuff up there but, you are looking for flax pond. camp ground 5 will lead you to this trail, just fallow the shore line. this will put you in the area 3 camp ground, work you way around the area to site 65 and drop in there or find your way to the fire tower, both are fun dh. at the bottom your back at you car. if you want more just head directly across the street for the ruth pond stuff and into freemans way. hope this was helpful

Just a flesh wound
    Hey Dwreck. I got to the lot at 11 or so. Mad River bumper sticker and bike rack. Rode until 1:45. Did the Fire Tower towards the end of our ride. It was great to ride! The flow was amazing. Really got cranking through the areas that were like amphitheaters! Amazingly smooth, especially compared to Wompatuck. Some tough climbing in places.

Good riding to all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Spastook
    I'm off this Thursday, Nickerson is about a 90 minute drive for me. Never been there before but if it's snow free it's worth the trip. Was hoping that T.of T. would be rideable by now but sounds like it's still got a lot of snow.
    if you really have your heart set on tot you have to drive right by it on the way to nickerson so just jump of the tot exit and take a peak around and see if it is rideable. we just got some rain last night and it is going to be just about 40 tommorrow so on thursday tot could totally be rideable.

mtbr member

Go East --->>>>>>>>

I live next to ToT and by the looks of it I would recommend you just go two exits down to Exit 7 and ride Willow St. We got a sneaky 8" storm before the big storm that dumped a foot on Boston. It's been slow to completely melt.

There is definately much less snow East of exit 6,

Tears is rideable but lots of sections you have to walk the bike and some serious ice still around. Based on what's been posted here Nickerson sounds like the best place to ride, then Willow.

Like I said I could ride into Tears from my house, but tomorrow I plan on putting the bike on the car and doing the Willow Street loop.

Quote Originally Posted by adumb
    if you really have your heart set on tot you have to drive right by it on the way to nickerson so just jump of the tot exit and take a peak around and see if it is rideable. we just got some rain last night and it is going to be just about 40 tommorrow so on thursday tot could totally be rideable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newking
    I live next to ToT and by the looks of it I would recommend you just go two exits down to Exit 7 and ride Willow St. We got a sneaky 8" storm before the big storm that dumped a foot on Boston. It's been slow to completely melt.

Like I said I could ride into Tears from my house, but tomorrow I plan on putting the bike on the car and doing the Willow Street loop.
    Any word on Willow street conditions?

Also would TOT be okay with studs?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member

Willow St Update

Just rode Willow St - Did the trails north of Route 6 and behind IFAW.
    >>>>>No snow or ice to speak of.
    >>>>>Lots of branches down.
    >>>>>I did about 20 dismounts to clear blow down's.
    Ton's of thorns too -- I think due to the snow, rain & Ice combo causing everything to bend over. I would strongly recommend riding tubeless & wearing glasses because of all the thorns & pistol whip branches in the trail. Good riding; just a lot of stopping to clear branches and do some clipping. I'm sure the trails south of rte 6 are in better shape because they see more traffic.

You can ride tears w regular tires - there's just more snow left on the banked turns, fire roads and some ice on the trail due to the walkers packing it down. I have not ridden it but have walked my dog in there for ~ 2 miles or so. I think you'll be happier at exit 7 or Nick!

Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe
    Any word on Willow street conditions?

Also would TOT be okay with studs?
    Last edited by newking; 01-04-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Just a flesh wound
    Nickerson was great. Sounds like it's worth the drive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just rode TOT and I didn't encounter massive unridable snow at all. some snowy sections but I've ridden much more snowy stuff than what I rode tonight. over into Sandwich was a different story. I did have to run some sections. the snow is crunchy which is difficult.

Yarmouth probably has absolutely nothing from what I'm seeing wh ile driving around there. I'll be riding that tmw or next day and not even concerned about the conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would NOT EVEN consider using studs at all around here right now unless you only ride fire roads and power lines. Who does that? why?

Just a flesh wound
    I just got back from a 2 night hour ride in Wompatuck. It was great. Crunchy in spots. Icy on the paved stuff. But for the most part, it was totally fun. A little more work than usual.

NO STUDS

mtbr member
    Dang's ride report is on the money. I just rode ToT and there's been a big snow melt from a few days ago. That last warm day + the sunny weather has killed off a lot of snow.

Willow has no snow anywhere and ToT you will see snow the whole ride (mostly in woods not on singletrack).

The singletrack is 90% snow free.
    The fireroads are 90% snow covered.

As long as you'reriding singletrack and not looping a lot of sections together via powerlines or fire roads you should be all set. Just a few sketchy, snow covered sections that require dismounting. Some places have no snow at all then you will encounter sections that are only 2 inches free of snow A few tree's down across the trail.....some pistol whip branches across the trail.....some RD muching sticks around as well!
    Not bad for January....

Shooting range had the most snow on it. Car Wash was pretty "unrideable" and the "whoop-de-doos" that sandwich Field of Dreams had a lot of snow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails where does the snow stop-cimg0031.jpg  

where does the snow stop-cimg0032.jpg  

where does the snow stop-cimg0043.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    got a couple questions one of them involves willow st. i rode there today and had alot of fun but i was curious about parking... do people actually park on the grass under the overpass next to the train tracks? i don't want to park somewhere i wasn't allowed and i ended up parking down the street a bit cause it was just weird to me.

prophet julio, this is a wompatuck question so it should be right in your wheelhouse... what are the rules as far as when you need to be out of there at night. i know you can go on night rides but can you pretty much ride in that state park anytime during the night or do you still need to be out by a certain time?

lastly, i can't believe there is no otis update someone around here surely has to be riding that spot to know if it is good or not...

mtbr member
    Prolly the safest place to park is the conservation lot off Higgin's Crowell Road.
    Not sure if the underpass is "legal" but I have seen cars there before.

I used to park in one of the abandoned office buildings across from IFAW but they have since been rebuild and i'm not sure if they are biker friendly or not.

[QUOTE=adumb]got a couple questions one of them involves willow st. i rode there today and had alot of fun but i was curious about parking... do people actually park on the grass under the overpass next to the train tracks? i don't want to park somewhere i wasn't allowed and i ended up parking down the street a bit cause it was just weird to me.

Just a flesh wound
    Adam,

I started there last night at 8:45. I park on the Cohasset side and ride in through Whitney Thayer Woods. When I do that I park near the Stop and Shop in that plaza lot.

I have parked in the Main Lot many times as well, after the park is technically closed. No trouble. The Hingham cops came by once and asked what we were doing. We told them we were riding and no problem. I don't know if or when they close the gate at the main entrance.

But for the most part, we enter from Cohasset at night, and once you are in, I suppose you could ride until the sun comes up!

I'm good at crashing
    I am almost 100% sure I will be hitting Nickerson this weekend. Not sure if alone or with the wife but either way as long as the snow holds off I will be there Saturday morning...too good to pass up snowless trails even if the ride down there from exit 14 is a bit long. Hope to run into some of you there...

Members who have read this thread: 0