Where is the BEST Western Mass Singletrack? Or Eastern NY.- Mtbr.com
    GunMerchant
    Sep 2009

Where is the BEST Western Mass Singletrack? Or Eastern NY.

I am going to stay in NY State just over the border from Pittsfield State Park in Mass for vacation this summer. I would love to learn about some Super Singletrack in the area. I like Smooth and Flowy trails and Rock tech is fun too. Love to climb for fast smooth downhills. The eroded atv trails that I am reading about in the reviews sound NFG. I am from Central NH and know a ton of stuff from Cape Cod Ma to Northern Vt but have not been out West in Ma. Would be happy to share info and recipricate with guided rides in my area. I do about 80+ miles on my vacation week. Usually like 15 to 20 mile rides.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    well, have more single track than you can ride in a week. Eastern, NY (new Lebanon? Stephen Town, Cherry Plains?) is a great launching point. Post up again as the vacation gets closer. FWIW, Lennox and Pittsfield offer the best closest riding, followed closely by October Mountain. Further Afield, there is Dubuque SF, the DAR, and Further still is the the Holyoke Range and Wendell SF. That's just a few options-all offer miles and miles of biker built and maintained singletrack and all have a local crew that is pretty proud of their trails and usually happy to show a visitor around. I'll PM you contact info-I'm sure others will as well.

Cheers,

Liam

GunMerchant
    Sep 2009
    Sounds awesome! I may never go home...lol :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B Rad
    Sounds awesome! I may never go home...lol :-)
    That happens a lot!
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    And don't forget about the super secret Hawley state forest, which is public land and has had trails there for a 100 years.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    c'mon, Dave-check my list, I mentioned Dubuque. Why pick fights?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Not picking a fight, just making a point how HAWLEY is super sercret. you did mention Dubuque, but if someone was to look that they would find Dubuque state forest, NOT Hawley state forest, nice play on words. My new Garmen GPS is awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bicycletech
    Not picking a fight, just making a point how HAWLEY is super sercret. you did mention Dubuque, but if someone was to look that they would find Dubuque state forest, NOT Hawley state forest, nice play on words. My new Garmen GPS is awesome.
    Doesn't sound like anyone is picking a fight. Just sounds like bicycletech doesn't agree with suberbman. While I get that nobody wants to piss off the "powers to be" that manage Hawley, at the same time, these managers need to remember that they work for us. We pay their salary. We have as much right to be there as anyone. While I do think diplomacy is the right avenue, I also don't think for a minute that we should allow ourselve's to be pushed around by anybody. I have GPS maps of Hawley, as do several people I know, however, we have not published them anywhere. We do, however share them with whoever asks. There seems to be a certain "group" of mtb'ers who have taken it upon themselve's to be the trail police in the valley and to put it bluntly, it's pissing me off. I'm a big boy. I've been riding these trails for the better part of 25 years. I know when and where to ride. I know trail manners, and I'll thank this "group" to keep their "holier-than-thou" attitude to themselve's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeharder36
    Doesn't sound like anyone is picking a fight. Just sounds like bicycletech doesn't agree with suberbman. While I get that nobody wants to piss off the "powers to be" that manage Hawley, at the same time, these managers need to remember that they work for us. We pay their salary. We have as much right to be there as anyone. While I do think diplomacy is the right avenue, I also don't think for a minute that we should allow ourselve's to be pushed around by anybody. I have GPS maps of Hawley, as do several people I know, however, we have not published them anywhere. We do, however share them with whoever asks. There seems to be a certain "group" of mtb'ers who have taken it upon themselve's to be the trail police in the valley and to put it bluntly, it's pissing me off. I'm a big boy. I've been riding these trails for the better part of 25 years. I know when and where to ride. I know trail manners, and I'll thank this "group" to keep their "holier-than-thou" attitude to themselve's.
    We also have to remember, that in the past DCR has directed the AmeriCorp/SCA workers to close certain trails that hadn't been properly permitted in Dubuque. We had a hard enough time cleaning up from mother nature's attempted closing of the park a few years ago, we don't need to do the same behind the SCA kids! It's too easy for those interested to locate GPS maps on places like Garmin Connect, Map my ride and etc. Any upload to these sites may jeopardize the work currently going on between NEMBA and DCR. Please keep your tracks private and off the web.
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hado_pv
    We also have to remember, that in the past DCR has directed the AmeriCorp/SCA workers to close certain trails that hadn't been properly permitted in Dubuque. We had a hard enough time cleaning up from mother nature's attempted closing of the park a few years ago, we don't need to do the same behind the SCA kids! It's too easy for those interested to locate GPS maps on places like Garmin Connect, Map my ride and etc. Any upload to these sites may jeopardize the work currently going on between NEMBA and DCR. Please keep your tracks private and off the web.
    Perhaps you didn't read the part where I said that we haven't published our maps. We have chosen not to publish them so as not to run the risk of having trails closed. That being said, it sounds like you have a bigger problem with non-permited trail building, not with people riding them. I have NEVER condoned illegal trail building. As I said, I beleive going through proper channels is the right way,when it's mixed with a little "we're here and we're not going away" attitude. Just saying.

GunMerchant
    Sep 2009
    Oops, should have left it alone.

The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook.
    Last edited by B Rad; 04-24-2011 at 04:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bicycletech

Uh, Dave and Craig, DUBUQUE SF IS the official name of what was once (like 15 years ago) called Hawley State Forest..actually Officially it's The Kenneth Dubuque SF (whoever he was)-so actually if anyone looked up Hawley they'd fine the town but not the state forest that once went by that name.

It's not a play on words...it's the actual, correct name of the property.

Anyway, I can't believe we're doing this again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    Uh, Dave and Craig, DUBUQUE SF IS the official name of what was once (like 15 years ago) called Hawley State Forest..actually Officially it's The Kenneth Dubuque SF (whoever he was)-so actually if anyone looked up Hawley they'd fine the town but not the state forest that once went by that name.

It's not a play on words...it's the actual, correct name of the property.

Anyway, I can't believe we're doing this again.
    Really?!! Who the hell cares? Oh, and I think you meant to say "if anyone looked up Hawley they'd FIND the town"....If I could fine Hawley I could fund my mountain biking forever!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Really?!! Who the hell cares? Oh, and I think you meant to say "if anyone looked up Hawley they'd FIND the town"....If I could fine Hawley I could fund my mountain biking forever!

Who the hell cares?? Well, Craig, clearly you and your brother do. You keep trying to restart an argument over biking in Dubuque that no one is having with you.

Dave posts out of nowhere that when I listed Dubuque as a great place to ride, somehow I'm playing word games to get people to not ride Dubuque.

Yep, there's riding in Dubuque, damn great riding and lots of it. Which is why I listed it along with Pittsfield, October Mountain, Wendell, B-street, Lennox, etc., as one of the great places someone who is visiting western, MA ought to ride.

I'm not involved with trail advocacy up in Greater Charlemont, I don't care who rides what with whom in Dubuque. I'm not the trail police there, and truthfully, I ride Dubuque relatively infrequently and have little to do up that way.

You two are well aware of the situation on the ground up that way, what you make of it is up to you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Who the hell cares?? Well, Craig, clearly you and your brother do. You keep trying to restart an argument over biking in Dubuque that no one is having with you.

Dave posts out of nowhere that when I listed Dubuque as a great place to ride, somehow I'm playing word games to get people to not ride Dubuque.

Yep, there's riding in Dubuque, damn great riding and lots of it. Which is why I listed it along with Pittsfield, October Mountain, Wendell, B-street, Lennox, etc., as one of the great places someone who is visiting western, MA ought to ride.

I'm not involved with trail advocacy up in Greater Charlemont, I don't care who rides what with whom in Dubuque. I'm not the trail police there, and truthfully, I ride Dubuque relatively infrequently and have little to do up that way.

You two are well aware of the situation on the ground up that way, what you make of it is up to you.
    I'm not trying to start anything, Liam, I'm just sick of you thinking you have the right to tell me where, when and how to ride. I'm tired of it! As I clearly pointed out in previous posts, I can take care of myself and I am fully aware of the Hawley "situation" and will do nothing to undermine the work being done there by trail advocates. Lets move on already! By the way, if I find a way to fine Hawley, I'll let you know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    This is the last thing I'll say about Dubuque to you or your brother on the internet,

Check every post if you like, no one, no one has told you where, when or how to ride. No one. Not ever.

No one, not in this thread or any other, told anyone not to ride Dubuque. No one.

In fact, in both this thread and the thread that set the Brothers Neal off last fall, Dubuque was listed as a place to ride. It has been recommended, by myself and others, as a great place to find a local (like you, Dave, or me, or a shop ride, etc) to guide a visitor around.

You're responses in this thread and in previous thread to imagined slights or perceived attempts to prevent you from riding someplace are over the top. They're inexplicably hostile, angry, profane-they've been loaded with ill-advised and unwarranted ad hominem attacks.

And you know, the guys and gals who post on this thread aren't, as in some internet exchanges, faceless strangers who live far away. They are people who have a similar interests as you in the same community. Chances are, we'll eventually run into each other, ride together, do trail work together. With that probability in mind, doesn't it seem ill-chosen to always get so hot under the collar and abrasive in your responses to people who post in the Massachusetts ride forum?

As you probably know, I got to know your brother a bit this winter while he was working in a bike shop I frequent often. He seems to be a good, friendly, level-headed guy, knowledgable about bikes and biking--which, frankly, made our early internet forum dust-up seem so very silly.

Kind of how this one is starting to seem to me. How about you?

Liam

GunMerchant
    Sep 2009
    Ok...I am confused. If you Google Hawley State Forest on Google maps it shows up as a different spot than Dubuque State Forest. Google Maps puts it about 2000 feet East of Dubuque up Buckland rd.

mtbr member
    Ok...I am confused. If you Google Hawley State Forest on Google maps it shows up as a different spot than Dubuque State Forest. Google Maps puts it about 2000 feet East of Dubuque up Buckland rd.
    There is a Blue Boundary marked parcel there, not sure if it is DCR or Fish and Wildlife, looking at it as one drives to Dubuque from Buckland, it looks like mostly steep side hill.

DCR's list of properties doesn't show it on their list. DCR properties in Hawley include Dubuque and portions of Mohawk State Forest.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/news/publicm...properties.pdf

As has been said, the riding is in Dubuque. If you want a tour, Liam is a superb guide.
    NEMBA Past President...

GunMerchant
    Sep 2009
    Thanks hado

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    This is awesome!

GunMerchant
    Sep 2009

No good

Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro
    This is awesome!
    Are you kidding? It is not awesome, I will refrain from saying what I think it is. Out of 19 replys SuperbMan is the only guy out of all of them that mentioned a single place to ride for me. Unless you count bicycletech for saying Hawley (that was already mentioned by SuperbMan). Not to mention that bicycletech said he would share the GPS map he had and after two requests by PM I got nothing from him. With the exception of Hado and SuperbMan all the other posts were by guys who just seem to be looking to be troublemakers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I should have been more specific - this thread is awesomely derailed.

The riding spots listed by SuberbMan and HadoPV are excellent.

Drop me a PM if you'd like a guided tour of the Holyoke Range (Bachelor St & Earls Trails) or Wendell in the future. Weekends or after 5:30 weekdays is best. Good folks around these parts.

Are you kidding? It is not awesome, I will refrain from saying what I think it is. Out of 19 replys SuperbMan is the only guy out of all of them that mentioned a single place to ride for me. Unless you count bicycletech for saying Hawley (that was already mentioned by SuperbMan). Not to mention that bicycletech said he would share the GPS map he had and after two requests by PM I got nothing from him. With the exception of Hado and SuperbMan all the other posts were by guys who just seem to be looking to be troublemakers.

GunMerchant
    Sep 2009
    Thanks pulsepro, I totally agree!!! SuberbMan mentioned that he thought Holyoke Range was as good as it gets. That night I looked at the map on Bikerag and got so freakin' excited I could not sleep. I am going to try to get there for a two day bike till I bonk fest asap. I will def. let you know when I am headed that way. Mayby we will be able to get SuperbMan onboard as well. Thanks for the offer and if you ever want to head to Central NH I am dialed in on the goods here. I will gladly show anyone around with your attitude.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This is the last thing I'll say about Dubuque to you or your brother on the internet,

Check every post if you like, no one, no one has told you where, when or how to ride. No one. Not ever.

No one, not in this thread or any other, told anyone not to ride Dubuque. No one.

In fact, in both this thread and the thread that set the Brothers Neal off last fall, Dubuque was listed as a place to ride. It has been recommended, by myself and others, as a great place to find a local (like you, Dave, or me, or a shop ride, etc) to guide a visitor around.

You're responses in this thread and in previous thread to imagined slights or perceived attempts to prevent you from riding someplace are over the top. They're inexplicably hostile, angry, profane-they've been loaded with ill-advised and unwarranted ad hominem attacks.

And you know, the guys and gals who post on this thread aren't, as in some internet exchanges, faceless strangers who live far away. They are people who have a similar interests as you in the same community. Chances are, we'll eventually run into each other, ride together, do trail work together. With that probability in mind, doesn't it seem ill-chosen to always get so hot under the collar and abrasive in your responses to people who post in the Massachusetts ride forum?

As you probably know, I got to know your brother a bit this winter while he was working in a bike shop I frequent often. He seems to be a good, friendly, level-headed guy, knowledgable about bikes and biking--which, frankly, made our early internet forum dust-up seem so very silly.

Kind of how this one is starting to seem to me. How about you?

Liam
    THANK GOD!!! You were starting to bore me!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hey BRad, I never received any PM from you about any maps. Because of the politics that surrounds Hawley, I need to get to know you a little better before I turn over that info., sorry.

GunMerchant
    Sep 2009
    Hey BRad, I never received any PM from you about any maps. Because of the politics that surrounds Hawley, I need to get to know you a little better before I turn over that info., sorry.
    Np harder, after seeing your display in this forum you will not be getting to know me better.

GunMerchant
    Sep 2009
    Np harder, after seeing your display in this forum you will not be getting to know me better.
    Ooops, sorry dude, I meant bikeharder.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ooops, sorry dude, I meant bikeharder.
    For the better, good luck

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Well B-Rad,
    I NEVER said i would share my GPS maps with you. I only share them with people i know!!!!!!!!!!!, and from the sounds of i DO NOT want to know you!!!!!!!!!!!. And thirdly i never recieved a PM from. Just so you know Bikeharder and i have been riding the trails in the valley and surrounding areas for more then 20 years, starting with motorcycles and now with MTB., which has been longer then a few certain people that have posted here..
    Happy trails

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I just realized why bikeharder and i support and ride with BERKSHIRE NEMBA and not PVsnobs oh i mean nemba.
    Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If you are staying near PSF I would start there - great single track and well maintained. Will cost you 5 bucks during the summer to park. Next closest is Ocotber Mt. but if there is decent single track there I have never found it. Lots of washed out ATV trails. Kennedy Park in Lenox is supposed to be good and thats not far. Dubuque you have heard about (45 Min from P'field). I would drive down the Taconic 1 hour and hit 909 (fantastic single track) before I did Pioneer Valley. Good Luck.

surly inbred
    I am going to stay in NY State just over the border from Pittsfield State Park in Mass for vacation this summer. I would love to learn about some Super Singletrack in the area. I like Smooth and Flowy trails and Rock tech is fun too. Love to climb for fast smooth downhills. The eroded atv trails that I am reading about in the reviews sound NFG. I am from Central NH and know a ton of stuff from Cape Cod Ma to Northern Vt but have not been out West in Ma. Would be happy to share info and recipricate with guided rides in my area. I do about 80+ miles on my vacation week. Usually like 15 to 20 mile rides.
    I live & ride in the Berkshires... shoot me a pm. There's no reason to travel to places like 909 with everything rideable here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Out of 19 replys SuperbMan is the only guy out of all of them that mentioned a single place to ride for me.
    Aw c'mon, I gave you two spots within a few minutes of where you're going to be.

Between the Taconic and Rt 7 there are so many spots to ride you couldn't hit them all in one summer. I've been working this side of the river between the Tac and the Mass border for years and still haven't even come close to checking them all out.

mtbr member
    Kenneth Dubuque was a former employee of the Department of Environmental Management. I was bored last night so I looked it up. For those who care.
    Who's Highpitch?.....This is Kelly Clarkson.

Members who have read this thread: 0