When did tires get so expensive- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

When did tires get so expensive

Tore the tread on my DHR II today badly enough that sealant wouldn't do it's thing, had to chuck a boot and a tube in there to keep rolling.

Looking at rear tire replacements... damn, $60? I love this tire but geeze.

Also I assume that the 3C compound Maxxis uses is so nice and grippy because it's soft as cheese? Because this is the quickest I've worn out a tire in my mountain biking career. I do ride techy, rocky stuff, but I've only got like 700 miles on these things.

Is there another tire that is maybe a bit tougher but still has good traction that I can put on the rear? I dig the big knobs but I also tend to get them caught on stuff and I hear that loud "BONG!" sound that I imagine is why my tread got all torn up so fast.

mtbr member
    On Tuesday. I am sure that happened on Tuesday.
    It is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

Here, diagonally!
    When bicycle forks cost $1000, I think a tire should be at least $60.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I guess that's why simple headset bearings go for $75 when in other areas of manufacturing you can get them for like $1.25

But seriously, should I just go for the dual compound DHRs instead? Do they hold up a lot better? And do I sacrifice a lot of grip in doing so?

mtbr member
    Unless you find a deal, ~$60 seems to be about average these days.

Do you need the grip of the DHR? I'm currently using a Goma 2.4 in back (currently paired with a Specialized Butcher in front) and would go with it again. I've seen these for $30-40.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    They are expensive...but they've never been better. And the evolution of bike tire ability is really appreciated in the varying trail treads and conditions that makes up New England riding. My old Fire XC Pros used to cost 40 bucks, todays minion is 4 times better...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If you are looking for a good tire for short money check out the on one smorgasboard and chunky monkey from planet-x. They are based on maxxis casing and the trail extreme compound is very grippy. They were less than $20 the last time I ordered. Just watch the shipping. The cost seems to be based on the amount of the order. If you cross the threshold by adding more the shipping skyrockets.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    Unless you find a deal, ~$60 seems to be about average these days.

Do you need the grip of the DHR? I'm currently using a Goma 2.4 in back (currently paired with a Specialized Butcher in front) and would go with it again. I've seen these for $30-40.

Thanks for the recommendation. What's the width of the 2.4 in real life? Is it close to actually being 2.4?

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's a good sized tire. On a 21/26mm rim it's a 2.4, on the 40/42mm rim I'm using now it's a 2.6.

When did tires get so expensive-motog5-20180512_074619128_bandit-1024.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post
    They are expensive...but they've never been better.
    So what? You could say that about anything but I still don't think a bicycle tyre should cost about the same as a tyre for a small car. Are we getting shafted? I think so.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    So what? You could say that about anything but I still don't think a bicycle tyre should cost about the same as a tyre for a small car. Are we getting shafted? I think so.
    Agreed. Look how complex an automobile tire is, steel belts, etc. and how much more material it takes. And they have a whole lot higher liability and last much longer, though weight isn't so much of a concern. I guess one could argue that bike tires sell in a lot lower volume. It hasn't helped that there are so many sizes; 27.5/29/some in 26; a lot of widths, different compounds, plus, fat, etc. Used to be what, 26 x 1.95 or 26 x 2.1?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    They are good sized. Even the 2.25 is big enough for a rear tire.

Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. What's the width of the 2.4 in real life? Is it close to actually being 2.4?
    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I wish for a world where my local lbs sells dhrs for $60.

In NZ they are $110 each.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    I wish for a world where my local lbs sells dhrs for $60. In NZ they are $110 each.
    That's crazy!

It's our own fault. Cycling, in the categories we're talking about anyway, is a leisure activity. The products we buy are aspirational, not essential and as soon as you have people buying something because they want it rather that because they need it, you can charge what you like. So the markup on bread is reasonable, the markup on perfume is ridiculous.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Ha in the 90ís job lot Hyannis had a ton of Kenda Copper Canyon Kevlar bead tires on sale for 5 bucks per tire. Amazing tire for 5 bucks. We bought a bunch and rode and raced the shit out of em haha. They were like a Tioga psycho clone but lighter weight. 👍