when Bears meet Chowdas- Mtbr.com
    right behind ya

when Bears meet Chowdas

heading to Boston (actually Holbrook -south of city) in early August. seeking some advise on LBS's to possibly rent a rig for entire week. Also seeking any guidance on local trails to hit while there

Think we will have a rental car so can probably drive a "reasonable" distance to trailhead but perfer to keep it minimal as whatever time i can sneek away from in-laws prefer to have it as pedal time as comped to driving.

Moslty seeking anything that i can get a good grind on as well as some fast downs that an AM can handle.

any advise is appreciated.
    hard line, hard line, hard line after hard line

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    In Holbrook you're fairly close to Wompatuck, Blue Hills, Borderland and Vietnam. If you're not familiar with area I'd get a map, unless you want to get lost for several hours. All these spots are good, I'm partial to Vietnam and Wompatuck.

Bike rentals are tough, I'm not sure who rents decent bikes in Boston. Some of the bigger shops have demo fleets. Belmont wheel works comes to mind for demos. You'll have to call around for rentals - maybe REI in Hingham rents hardtails.

Good luck.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

rack admirer

Try Bike Barn

Bike Barn on Rt 18 in Whitman has a demo fleet. Wampatuck and Blue Hills are close and self guidable with a map since the trails are well marked. You should try Vietnam, but would need to glom onto someone as the trails are not marked and no matter how good your map is, you will go in circles with no relative points on the trail. In all three places, most riders would be happy to have you tag along. That's how I figured the places out.
    MCM # 57

right behind ya
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    In Holbrook you're fairly close to Wompatuck, Blue Hills, Borderland and Vietnam. If you're not familiar with area I'd get a map, unless you want to get lost for several hours. All these spots are good, I'm partial to Vietnam and Wompatuck.

Bike rentals are tough, I'm not sure who rents decent bikes in Boston. Some of the bigger shops have demo fleets. Belmont wheel works comes to mind for demos. You'll have to call around for rentals - maybe REI in Hingham rents hardtails.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Bike Barn on Rt 18 in Whitman has a demo fleet. Wampatuck and Blue Hills are close and self guidable with a map since the trails are well marked. You should try Vietnam, but would need to glom onto someone as the trails are not marked and no matter how good your map is, you will go in circles with no relative points on the trail. In all three places, most riders would be happy to have you tag along. That's how I figured the places out.
    good info. much appreciated. thanks to both of you. living i cali but used to live /ride back east. getting excited for some east coast rocks and roots!

right behind ya
    so far no luck.

waiting to hear on belmont wheel works but got red lights at bikebarn racing and the bicyclelink.

so gonna need to get a few rides in to keep sanity staying a week with inlaws.

any guidance on rentals is highly appreciated.

didnt realize it would be such a problem. my LBS has a sick rental fleet. have a second beater bike at home but mostly just grab a rental for any of my friends visiting.

anyway again any insight on a means to rent a bike would be helpful

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    landrys has rentals

mtbr member
    Closest place to you that was suggested is Blue Hills but you do not want to go there to get a taste of the best riding in the region. Vietnam, Wampatuk, and Borderland are all good options.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Down boy down View Post
    living in cali but used to live /ride back east.
    You reek of STR.

right behind ya
    thanks to all for the 411.

just back from trip. kept it fairly local to where i was staying to keep time on dirt at a max.

hit Blue Hills, Wompatuck and Ames.

Did a few laps of both white and yellow loops at Blue Hill. Met a cool cat on the ride. Howdy if you are reading this

Loved Wompy! Got lost a bit but covered alot of ground. played abit on the skinny's/ kicker line. killed the trail down from propect hill, big smiles on the other stuff. hello as well to the dude in the parking lot i gave the spare tube to...seems like another chill guy

Ames was more a fall back option (I f'd up my plans to Vietnam) but at least got a ride in. wasnt anything special but didnt suck as i found some stuff through the powerlines and made the most of it after crossing the "Bridges".

may try to bring my own rig next year instead of trying to rent as that was a bit of a pain but landry's came through.

anyway, once again thanks to all who provided some feedback on my inquiry and EC, yes i most def brought the Cali stink to your town

next round, Vietnam, Boarderland and others are in the plans

mtbr member
    Wow, you need to hit some better spots next time.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    PM me next time you're in town; I just got a tour of Aliso last weekend so I feel obliged to repay the favor.

just back from trip. kept it fairly local to where i was staying to keep time on dirt at a max.

Did a few laps of both white and yellow loops at Blue Hill. Met a cool cat on the ride. Howdy if you are reading this

Loved Wompy! Got lost a bit but covered alot of ground. played abit on the skinny's/ kicker line. killed the trail down from propect hill, big smiles on the other stuff. hello as well to the dude in the parking lot i gave the spare tube to...seems like another chill guy

Ames was more a fall back option (I f'd up my plans to Vietnam) but at least got a ride in. wasnt anything special but didnt suck as i found some stuff through the powerlines and made the most of it after crossing the "Bridges".

may try to bring my own rig next year instead of trying to rent as that was a bit of a pain but landry's came through.

anyway, once again thanks to all who provided some feedback on my inquiry and EC, yes i most def brought the Cali stink to your town

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Yeah, you missed out big time. For techy fun, hit Harold Parker, Bruce and Tom's, or Vietnam, for flowing goes-on-forever singletrack check out BVNEMBA's trails at Singletary, Rayburn, Goat Hill/Plummer's Landing/Ribbon Candy, Sutton. Closer to the city, worthwhile riding at Private Reserve, Russell Mill. All of these appear on Woodsguy's map....

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by phipsi102 View Post
    for flowing goes-on-forever singletrack check out BVNEMBA's trails at Singletary, Rayburn, Goat Hill/Plummer's Landing/Ribbon Candy, Sutton. Closer to the city, worthwhile riding at Private Reserve, Russell Mill. All of these appear on Woodsguy's map....
    Sorry to say this, but I used to live in Southern California and this dude will not find said trails to be "flowing goes-on-forever singletrack" relative to his home Socal trails.